TV shows you are - or will be - watching.

owlman

Forum GOD!
A new season of the Great British Bake-Off has started! I had suspected they wouldn't be able to make one this year, but apparently they just put the whole lot into a permanent two-month quarantine away from the rest of the world and went on as usual. Yay! :woot:

However, Sandi Toksvig has been replaced as host by Matt Lucas, which is not an improvement. (He did okay though.)

NeilJ

Über Member
Watched the final episode of the latest series of Mortimer & Whitehouse Gone Fishing last night. I've followed the programme from the start and find it strangely comforting during these crazy times. I was worried that this series (series 3) might be a stretch too far but it's been as good as ever. I've loved Bob Mortimer's humour since the Vic Reeves Big Night Out days. I'm not a fisherman but find it very interesting and the fish they catch then release are beautiful creatures.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I’ve watched the first two episodes of Van der Valk now. I liked them both, but they seem grittier and rougher than I remember the original series being.
Watched the third and final episode of Van der Valk last night. We both liked it, which is unusual since SWMBO doesn’t usually like such gritty programmes.

Francorelli

Forum fella
Watched the final episode of the latest series of Mortimer & Whitehouse Gone Fishing last night. I've followed the programme from the start and find it strangely comforting during these crazy times. I was worried that this series (series 3) might be a stretch too far but it's been as good as ever. I've loved Bob Mortimer's humour since the Vic Reeves Big Night Out days. I'm not a fisherman but find it very interesting and the fish they catch then release are beautiful creatures.
I've just watched the first two episodes of series 1 this evening. Great stuff. Utterly joyous viewing.

Steve

Boomer Member
For my American brothers, the following are real British TV shows that are extremely popular among the knee-bending set:

1. The Great British Bake Off: where contestants vie for awards for the fluffiness of their cakes, and the aromas of their biscuits (cookies);
2. The Great British Sewing Bee: Just what you think it is; Brits competing for the title of the Great British Sewing Bee. Points awarded for straightest hem on a skirt, Best button hole, and sturdiest button sewn for braces (suspenders);

Property shows have been the main-stay on the BBBC for the past fifteen years. Since the real property market has slowed down due to people self-isolating due to the Wuhan virus, the Beeb has had to resort to re-running shows from fifteen years ago, with the obvious problem of house prices from decades past.

Auctions! Where would the BBC be without Junk in the Attic, and other auction shows. Put on a host of indeterminate gender, with two couples from Manchester whose idea of a weekend out is perusing Boot Sales (flea market in the trunk of your car), and being given £100 cash-money, to go and find the best items to sell at an "auction". The couple who doesn't lose money on this is declared the winner, and they get to keep what ever chump-change they have made.

By the time production companies gear up for a new season in the States, most of the lead characters will be too old to carry on in their television roles, and we'll have to start all over again.

My favourite? The Meghan and Harry show. Watch the Duke and Duchess of Sussex bob-and-weave their way amongst the commoners of California to get to their next Netflix meeting where they will pitch the Duchesses' vision of an entire series based upon her wardrobe.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Watched an episode of McDonald and Dodds and really enjoyed it so will be watching more. Offbeat and witty version of the usual 2-detective pairing. Manages to be original in a very formulaic genre.