Where do we see shaving improving in the years to come ?

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I can see Badger Brushes becoming less and less popular as using animal products for beauty becomes even more unfashionable.
I agree with you and I think part of the reason isn't just down to cruelty aspects. FWIW, I think more 'modern' soaps eg ones with Shea Butter and so in them from my experience seem to perform vastly better with synth brushes than ones with animal hair brushes. I've never really been a badger brush user so I can only speculate but if I used more 'modern' soaps and found they performed better with synths, I'd use those more so.
 

TobyC

Patriot
YourShaving have Zenith horses in stock for around the £20 mark

If you're buying a Horse from there, I'd recommend adding one of their UNBLEACHED boar brushes at the same time, their unbleached ones are scrubby delights (very efficient too), but the one bleached Zenith boar I bought was a floppy lather eating mop.
Thanks man,... I bought some Zenith boar brushes just for the knots and was pleased with those, never even looked at the horses.
 

Dr Watson

James
I agree with you and I think part of the reason isn't just down to cruelty aspects. FWIW, I think more 'modern' soaps eg ones with Shea Butter and so in them from my experience seem to perform vastly better with synth brushes than ones with animal hair brushes. I've never really been a badger brush user so I can only speculate but if I used more 'modern' soaps and found they performed better with synths, I'd use those more so.
It's been my experience that the current crop of US artisan soaps whose lather resembles gloss paint work so much better with synthetics compared to natural hair brushes. They seem to have been developed with them in mind, I have a hunch many of the artisans prefer synths themselves... Could be wrong of course.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I agree with you and I think part of the reason isn't just down to cruelty aspects. FWIW, I think more 'modern' soaps eg ones with Shea Butter and so in them from my experience seem to perform vastly better with synth brushes than ones with animal hair brushes. I've never really been a badger brush user so I can only speculate but if I used more 'modern' soaps and found they performed better with synths, I'd use those more so.
Well said.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
You can't be serious, the spineless Feathers are garbage! The only SE blades worse are the Feather carbon blades, which were apparently intended for torture of political opponents.

Dense horse is good, but many are floppy painters, that's not the horses fault, but the brushmakers.
Look Toby, I realise that with you being American, English is not your first language so I need to point out that when you said that Lather catcher and GEM blade were the absolute pinnacle you were implying they are the best. Pinnacle means the tops, A1, the dogs bollocks, cannot be bettered. Now that I’ve explained where you got it wrong please don’t feel the need to thank me.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Pessimistic view; higher cost with little improvement. Grab a Tech and a tube of Palmolive, or a Wolfman and MdC, both setups provide a wonderful shave. It is the user's technique that is key. Brushes are a whole different thesis IMO.
 

TobyC

Patriot
Look Toby, I realise that with you being American, English is not your first language so I need to point out that when you said that Lather catcher and GEM blade were the absolute pinnacle you were implying they are the best. Pinnacle means the tops, A1, the dogs bollocks, cannot be bettered. Now that I’ve explained where you got it wrong please don’t feel the need to thank me.
Time to scrape you off and get back to the more knowledgeable, experienced shavers.
 

TobyC

Patriot
Pessimistic view; higher cost with little improvement. Grab a Tech and a tube of Palmolive, or a Wolfman and MdC, both setups provide a wonderful shave. It is the user's technique that is key. Brushes are a whole different thesis IMO.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Time to scrape you off and get back to the more knowledgeable, experienced shavers.
How old are you? For me, I can account for 55 years of shaving with everything that was worth shaving with. You sound like a daffodil with a problem. By the way the daffodil was meant to be a c##nt.
 
I reckon shaving may go full circle and in 10 years it will be canned foam and cartridges again but who knows. Not sure how things can be improved...but hopefully, some good things on the horizon.

Are full beards still quite fashionable/popular? I'm sure I see a lot more younger guys sporting them than I used to...there's also the "hipster" guys who have HUGE beards and struggle while drinking their avocado smoothies...my point being will beards become more the norm..maybe everyone will bearded..I mean my mother in law's had one for many years...
 
Top