Where do we see shaving improving in the years to come ?

Wayne

Forum Sod
I can see Badger Brushes becoming less and less popular as using animal products for beauty becomes even more unfashionable. I think we are going to be the last generation to own them. Razor wise I think we have reached the zenith. Manufacturers have used almost every metal they can now and there is only so much you can do based around the generic blade design. The One Blade could have been the biggest leap in design and should have been a must have but they chose probably the worst blade out there for it. I’d buy one in a heartbeat if someone else made a viable blade for it.
 

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
I can see Badger Brushes becoming less and less popular as using animal products for beauty becomes even more unfashionable. I think we are going to be the last generation to own them. Razor wise I think we have reached the zenith. Manufacturers have used almost every metal they can now and there is only so much you can do based around the generic blade design. The One Blade could have been the biggest leap in design and should have been a must have but they chose probably the worst blade out there for it. I’d buy one in a heartbeat if someone else made a viable blade for it.
Totally agree !
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I have a suspicion the trend for beards will come to an end at sometime soon and shaving be it with carts or 'traditional' razors may once again be a little more popular than they are now.

Like with the impending reformulation of Vitos tallow croaps to vegan, I have a suspicion that other tallow based soaps will also follow suite, but I imagine Arko/Derby will always keep true to their formula!
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I also reckon horse hair is next.
It hasn't been pushed yet and it feels like badger has been maxed.
Horse hair is crap for shaving. Until someone manages to cross a horse with a badger - forget it.
The Gillette OLD and the Lather Catchers that would accept the GEM style blade were the absolute pinnacle of shaving excellence! The ubiquitous boar brush and any soap are perfect. Nothing has changed for the better in a century, so I don't see anything happening in the next decade or two.
Nonsense - I’ve shaved with just about every type of razor and blade ever made and both the Mongoose and Razorock SE razors with a good quality modern blade knock spots off your combination. GEM got it right when they switched to carpet cutters.
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Horse hair is crap for shaving. Until someone manages to cross a horse with a badger - forget it.

Nonsense - I’ve shaved with just about every type of razor and blade ever made and both the Mongoose and Razorock SE razors with a good quality modern blade knock spots off your combination. GEM got it right when they switched to carpet cutters.
Feeling argumentative today?
 

TobyC

Patriot
Horse hair is crap for shaving. Until someone manages to cross a horse with a badger - forget it.

Nonsense - I’ve shaved with just about every type of razor and blade ever made and both the Mongoose and Razorock SE razors with a good quality modern blade knock spots off your combination. GEM got it right when they switched to carpet cutters.
Nothing wrong with horse, adding badger would kill it, that's why they don't do it.

GEM didn't switch to "carpet cutters", if you did you deserve what you got. The modern GEM blade is the same blade as before but with slots in it for the Micromatic TTO.

Go back to bed.

.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Nothing wrong with horse, adding badger would kill it, that's why they don't do it.

GEM didn't switch to "carpet cutters", if you did you deserve what you got. The modern GEM blade is the same blade as before but with slots in it for the Micromatic TTO.

Go back to bed.

.
I think a mixed badger/horse could work - something like 99:1 ratio.
As for Gem blades - the best thing you can do with them is remove the spine and put it on a Feather SE blade - then put some tape on the Gem and use it for cutting carpets.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Give the Zenith attempt at horse a try - it’s significantly better than Vie Long’s. Rooney Heritage it ain’t but, in the £20-odd a pop bracket, I rate it over the boars and synthetics I’ve had. Cruelty free too.
 

TobyC

Patriot
I think a mixed badger/horse could work - something like 99:1 ratio.
As for Gem blades - the best thing you can do with them is remove the spine and put it on a Feather SE blade - then put some tape on the Gem and use it for cutting carpets.
You can't be serious, the spineless Feathers are garbage! The only SE blades worse are the Feather carbon blades, which were apparently intended for torture of political opponents.

Dense horse is good, but many are floppy painters, that's not the horses fault, but the brushmakers.
 

TobyC

Patriot
Give the Zenith attempt at horse a try - it’s significantly better than Vie Long’s. Rooney Heritage it ain’t but, in the £20-odd a pop bracket, I rate it over the boars and synthetics I’ve had. Cruelty free too.
From where? Got a link?

The Vie Long has the backbone of wet toilet paper.
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
From where? Got a link?

The Vie Long has the backbone of wet toilet paper.
YourShaving have Zenith horses in stock for around the £20 mark

If you're buying a Horse from there, I'd recommend adding one of their UNBLEACHED boar brushes at the same time, their unbleached ones are scrubby delights (very efficient too), but the one bleached Zenith boar I bought was a floppy lather eating mop.
 
Top