Where do we see shaving improving in the years to come ?

Vacumatic

Testy
We have a huge amount of choice now, blades and razors, that can only get better. Bit sad when Luddites like me prefer the old stuff but at least I have the choice.

We also have a choice in creams and soaps and everything in between. I keep thinking that Palmolive will stop the shaving stick production as it is such an oddball product for them but it keeps going. If I had said to my father back in 1975 that one day we will be able to buy shaving creams from all over the world, some made by artisans in the back streets of Naples, he would have said son 'One day they will invent the internet and then anything will be possible'.

After-shave creams and lotions, I improvise and use stuff/night creams which are sold for women after I have had a shave, personally I think I have never looked more gorgeous.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I can see more and more people will revert to DE & SE. There’s a big need to reduce plastic use and cartridges produce loads of waste that can’t be recycle. So perhaps we will see different razors coming along as the engineers at the big players look at it.

someone mentioned Horse Hair, they have been around a while, tried one a long time ago and wasn’t keen. For me the synthetic are the way forward and increased in popularity quite a bit over recent years. Again perhaps some boffin will come up with something, even using recycled materials.
 

Dr Watson

James
I think the biggest thing people miss when it comes to synthetic brushes is they owe their entire existence in current form to make up brushes, that's where the investment and R&D was done... The filaments (as they are called in the industry) were merely appropriated for shaving brush use. Nobody is going to invent one which better mimics badger hair, it was a fluke they got it as close as they are. Have a Google and read up on it, the goal was to accurately reproduce squirrel, sable, mink & goat hair in synthetic form which they (BASF & DuPont) claim to have achieved with todays filaments.

I know Muehle claim to have invented the V4 fibre by added crimping along the filament but it's all BS, they have no patent on it, it's just another variant of thousands of fibres invented by BASF.
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
I think the biggest thing people miss when it comes to synthetic brushes is they owe their entire existence in current form to make up brushes, that's where the investment and R&D was done... The filaments (as they are called in the industry) were merely appropriated for shaving brush use. Nobody is going to invent one which better mimics badger hair, it was a fluke they got it as close as they are. Have a Google and read up on it, the goal was to accurately reproduce squirrel, sable, mink & goat hair in synthetic form which they (BASF & DuPont) claim to have achieved with todays filaments.

I know Muehle claim to have invented the V4 fibre by added crimping along the filament but it's all BS, they have no patent on it, it's just another variant of thousands of fibres invented by BASF.
Very interesting. I guess the market is too small, even if a synthetic manchurian equal could fetch the prices of some badger offerings.
 

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I can see synthetic brushes out-number Badger brushes on shaving forums within 5 years, and high-end Boar brushes becoming more popular.
 

Steve

Boomer Member
I think in days gone past wealthy gentlemen had an organic version of this? :)
In days past, you didn't need wealth. Shaving your face was the duty of your wife or daughter. Your wealth determined how good your razor was.
 

Beemers

Forum GOD!
The Gillette OLD and the Lather Catchers that would accept the GEM style blade were the absolute pinnacle of shaving excellence! The ubiquitous boar brush and any soap are perfect. Nothing has changed for the better in a century, so I don't see anything happening in the next decade or two.

On the other hand, "men" and their ever decreasing testosterone levels, may stop growing hair.
Toby you hit dead center good shot.
 
Top