When it’s time to reign it in.

dc68

-------------
But what are you going to spend your money on if you no longer buy shaving related stuff? I spent when I can afford to, attempt to prioritise and have no regrets....though of course I have made mistakes, that can be on shaving stuff or other things.
I like a barbers shop shave so I am going to have one when I am in Rome for a conference in November at the AdP boutique near the Spanish steps, I can afford the full monty (50 Euro) because I am flying EasyJet from Bristol instead of BA from LHR.
Life is too short, although pausing can be good. Try not to buy because disembodied voices on this forum would be impressed, rather you feel at ease as do your nearest and dearest.
I think it is a Quaker thing to strive to find "peace at the centre", although not a Quaker myself ....its not a bad hope.
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
Can you imagine how depressed our vendors (and virtual friends) must feel reading these posts? I can only thank them for their being there when we were in the situational psychosis of our acquisition disorder. Now that we're all in our '12-step' program they must rely on those who come after. Et que vas-tu leur dire, @Wayne?
 

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I think I'll buy the occasional new razor if I see something that really interests me, but it'll have to be very special if I then have to pay import costs.

On the brush, soaps, aftershaves, EDT side, I've decided to be strong-willed, and only buy to replace things that I've used up. Given the slow rate I get through things (probably because of excess stocks to begin with), that'll be perhaps one piece of "software" a year, and a brush every two.

Or am I just fooling myself? Time will tell.
 

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
After about 6 years in this hobby I'm trying to downsize my collection. Or, it's not a collection as I'm not a collector, but I have found that my best razors (and brushes) gets too little use because of a too big rotation. I'm planning to stick with 2-4 high end razors (Blackbird is always no 1 and my REX Ambassador also have a spot). I'm waiting for a Dart and also a Pils on loan (Thanks Halvor!). I also have a few other razors that I'm going to keep. I'm not going to stop bying, but I'll be more careful. Regarding my brushes maybe 7 is my target. 1 for every day in the week. Right now I have 9 brushes that I LOVE, so maybe I'll keep them. But, if (when) I buy a new, one has to go.
 

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
What a thread and how comforting to see how many are in exactly my position albeit for varying reasons and at different stages. Best read for a long time on here.

A combination for me. Been ridding myself of the black stuff ( now grey ) for WELL over 40 years. Only the last 10 or so that I really got into shaving 'properly'. Tried DE then relapsed but then came back with vengeance albeit keeping the brush and lather regime throughout.

For me this has been a journey of FINDING what works for me, what I like to use, what I have not used but would like to try, etc etc

That journey has inevitably led me down the Rabbit Hole and yes, I went looking for bunnies!!! I found a few; some attractive but some real boilers!!±!± . Fun though.

I have bought, I have sold; some wisely , some not so wisely. I have been down the DE, SE, and more latterly , straight routes. Having just sold a Supply I now have 3 DEs, a G8 Schick ( thanks Mike ) and 4 1/2 straights. The straight route is one new to me and which I enjoy but always think that the end of the road is nigh. The thrill of sourcing a razor 'project' then resetting bevels and honing etc to shave ready and using the bugger, was excellent. IF I decide to jack in that journey then my chef's knives will benefit greatly from my cheaply acquired stones and BST will be populated further. I will always keep the one straight razor though that I 'did' myself from start to finish.

I have 12 soaps / croaps / creams. A cupboard full of blade varieties. All in all, not to excessive compared to some.
Brushes? 2 nice synths, one boar and 3 badgers ( 2 Shavemacs ). All I need and they provide depth and variety. Sold quite a few and glad of it.

I have my 2 go to DE razors and one for travel. Rockwell 6S and a loved E4 fatboy ( my time exactly ). Will I buy another ? Maybe but no pressure. I will not get a better shave than with the Rockwell on 3 and a Nacet. ( Famous last words. ) I have 2 go to straights. The others are for play honing. I have decided that SE razors, although nice, are just unnecessary when I am getting such great results from the DE. Carts are a faff too.

MY immediate future lies with the exploration of the lather producers, especially tallow based. With the exception of maybe one other DE I would like to try / own, I have no further desire to go bunny hunting and I will certainly be curtailing my spending in the immediate future.

Regards to all and thank you not only for all the fish but the help, advise and guidance that have brought quality, knowledge, satisfaction and now temperance to my shaving experience.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
We should put ourselves to the sword and use one razor, one brush and one soap for the entire year as a forum, see how many stick to this by the end of the year. Also I'll probably up my life insurance incase of being on the vendors most wanted list :)

When I consider one of each this would be going back to traditional shaving, so we're talking boar, Palmolive and Tech. I know I would 'suffer' and drop out before the end, I didn't even manage no buy 2018.
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
We should put ourselves to the sword and use one razor, one brush and one soap for the entire year as a forum, see how many stick to this by the end of the year. Also I'll probably up my life insurance incase of being on the vendors most wanted list :)

When I consider one of each this would be going back to traditional shaving, so we're talking boar, Palmolive and Tech. I know I would 'suffer' and drop out before the end, I didn't even manage no buy 2018.
I bought my brother a Tech as part of a starter shave kit I have made him and will be giving him in a week or so, when he is down.
In the meantime, I have been using it.
Got to agree with you @Nishy, what a stunning little razor. A smaller “sweet spot” but once you have the angle sorted, gives a fantastic shave.
Enjoyed it so much, I have just “won” my own one on eBay for £19 including postage
7E61A405-3371-49DD-88C8-D087FAF2BCC0.png
 

JayGee

Forum GOD!
There is a link to a YouTube vid of the last Sheffield cutler razor maker in the Straight forum.
A fantastic old boy who "could shave a mouse asleep".

Boar brush the size of a thimble
Hand soap lathered, barely.
Small bowl of water, one pass, done in minutes.

It was an inspiration (honestly)
 

mark0

Forum GOD!
I've gone out to the post office with a grin on my face too many times, so I am not even mad when something turns out to be a miss.
 
Top