When it’s time to reign it in.

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
The rest seems pretty much marginal - like how much better can a £200 brush be over a £20 brush? Really? Tell me!
In my experience, a $50 brush can be much better than a $200 brush, but everyone has their preferences, of course.

Logically, I understand that I have more than enough shaving equipment. I also know which items work especially well for me. I should be set — for a long time to come. But perhaps I have certain bird genes in me, because often when I see new shiny things, I think they'll make me even happier than all the stuff that I already have.

It's nice to have goals, and things to look forward to, but sometimes it'd also be good to stop and enjoy the roses I've already collected. (Been trying to do that more.)
 
Last edited:

pimple8

Forum GOD!
Still not there.
I can say it by the number of soaps in carts and on wishlists at the moment.
As for razors and brushes - I am almost there... pretty satisfied with what I got, would like to try some razors (not even looking those above 100$) but nothing I can't live without. I have enough brushes(3), one more is on the way and that should be it. Not drawn into that.
I know I will reach a peak, it's characteristic for me in everything I do, in every hobby. I realize how much I have spent and ask myself why did you need it all, what was so addictive anyway.... but as I said. Not there yet and enjoying the journey.....
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I love the journey too but I have realised I cannot keep buying stuff and just keep giving it away (Virtually) as I can't stand to see it just lying around the house. I have 10 quality razors, 16 tubs of quality soap, 10 quality brushes and over 70 bottles of aftershave. So a significant investment in this hobby. I don't want to leave the forum as I get a lot of pleasure from the interaction with other shavers but I have to stop buying as it is just an expensive short term fix. I'm going to be honest and with my personality I foolishy think other shavers will think better of me because I have lots of expensive things for my shave of the day photo's, essentially I'm just a tart. Deep down it's all BS. Nothing I can buy now will improve my experience and no scent I can buy will make me smell better so it's time for me to stop.
 

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
I love the journey too but I have realised I cannot keep buying stuff and just keep giving it away (Virtually) as I can't stand to see it just lying around the house. I have 10 quality razors, 16 tubs of quality soap, 10 quality brushes and over 70 bottles of aftershave. So a significant investment in this hobby. I don't want to leave the forum as I get a lot of pleasure from the interaction with other shavers but I have to stop buying as it is just an expensive short term fix. I'm going to be honest and with my personality I foolishy think other shavers will think better of me because I have lots of expensive things for my shave of the day photo's, essentially I'm just a tart. Deep down it's all BS. Nothing I can buy now will improve my experience and no scent I can buy will make me smell better so it's time for me to stop.
I think it's time to step away from SOTD photos and focus on the exciting emergence of the ironing videos.
 

Francorelli

Forum fella
I don't want to leave the forum as I get a lot of pleasure from the interaction with other shavers but I have to stop buying as it is just an expensive short term fix.
Who says you have to leave the forum just because you don't want to keep buying stuff? If that was the rule my membership would have been revoked years ago.

You've got enough great kit to last several lifetimes. Relax, and enjoy it :happy:.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Been wet shaving on and off for the past 50 or so years. Only recently, about 6 years ago, did I join shave forums in order to learn how to shave with and maintain a straight razor. Now that I have basically accomplished that and greatly improved the shaves I am getting with other types of razors as well, I still acquire the odd bit of new gear but have greatly slowed down the rate at which I do. I think most reach that point somewhere along the way.

That said, I still enjoy reading the forums to see what is new and to contribute to threads, some of which are not shaving related. Hopefully, along the way I have helped some beginners to get a better shave. It is time to give back rather than take wrt forums. There is more to this hobby than gear acquisition.

Bob
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
It's taken me nearly two years of experimentation, buying, selling, trading, and kicking myself for razors sold and then regretted selling, but I've got a stable of a half dozen razors that encompass the varieties of wet shaving; there's a couple of conventional razors, a couple of slants, a single edge, an adjustable, and an open comb. I can use all of them without the slightest fear of slicing and dicing my face. The best part is that I have only one that cost me dearly. I'm down to four soaps that I use on a regular basis, and will always have at the ready, and a couple of shaving creams for ease of travel. It takes time, but like everything else, you get to know what works for you. Quid enim opus est tibi? @Wayne
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Managing budgets, fear of loss and necessity. My dad has taught me to master the above. What with life costs; new house, twin nieces and other hobbies, shaving acquisitions have to be warranted, hence a lot of research and analysis. The forum helps massively with this. I also make sure my hobby now pays for itself.
 

vtmax

Forum GOD!
The 40 razors, 60 soaps era was fun but thoroughly finished.
Karve
Charcoal L2
Timeless Ti .95

Down to 5 soap jars from two brands.
GroomingDept
Tallow & Steel

Definitely a stainless Karve if/when they materialize but the soap limit is most important. 5 full jars is a lot of shaves even for a face and head shaver.
 
I'm buying way less than I used to and have moved on a lot of stuff I don't like or don't use. Thirty plus brushes have been halved and I have a more manageable rotation now.
That said I still enjoy the hobby and the forum is a great place to be. There are a few things a will buy in the future. Surprisingly I have been tearing through soaps of late and now I have a nice balance of Artisans and Classics. I am also employing (or at least trying) a one in one out policy with razors and brushes..so we'll see..:whistling:
But I have been well aware for some time that frequent acquisitions provide limiting returns in terms of the quality of shave.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
We all get there, that point when you are no longer a noob and you know what you are doing at last, you then hit that point where it’s time to re- evaluate where you and your purchases are and you know you have far too much stuff. You then know it’s time to reign in your purchases, sit back a little and smell the roses so to speak. In other words use what you have and enjoy using it.
Have you got there? What are your plans for the future? Interested to know your thoughts guys.
You do hit that point. I rarely comment on my shaves or on SOTD. As for purchases well from time to time I’ll buy soap more then anything, or I’ll see a balm. It eases but the purchasing is always there. Brush wise I seem to of converted to synthetics and there is always room for another. At first it did seem to be quite full on I must admit.
 

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I’m finally reaching saturation point after 7 years.

There’s only a couple of razors yet to try (Karve, CG and GC all of which I will have tried by the end of the year), whilst others will always remain out of my price range (Wolman, Raw and Janus for example).

I’ve amassed a large collection of modern and vintage razors, brushes and soaps and have enough blades to last me the rest of my life.

There’s nothing that’s really screaming out at me to purchase at the moment (and none of the planned releases of new kit are really grabbing me that much).

I think it’s finally time to sit back an appreciate what I have managed to acquire and to enjoy using it. [emoji846]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
I love the journey too but I have realised I cannot keep buying stuff and just keep giving it away (Virtually) as I can't stand to see it just lying around the house. I have 10 quality razors, 16 tubs of quality soap, 10 quality brushes and over 70 bottles of aftershave. So a significant investment in this hobby. I don't want to leave the forum as I get a lot of pleasure from the interaction with other shavers but I have to stop buying as it is just an expensive short term fix. I'm going to be honest and with my personality I foolishy think other shavers will think better of me because I have lots of expensive things for my shave of the day photo's, essentially I'm just a tart. Deep down it's all BS. Nothing I can buy now will improve my experience and no scent I can buy will make me smell better so it's time for me to stop.
Well spoken. Honest. Makes two of us. I see you and raise you “retail therapy”: I think I comfort buy, much like some people eat to feel better. It's a break and an escape from the pressure and stress of 'real' life outside of the bathroom and the forum (which I certainly also enjoy on their merits). Part hobby and, starting from your choice of word, part pathetic tartiness. That’s me. Hi everyone, my name’s Halvor, and I’m a shaveashopaholic.
 

iamsms

Video Assistant Referee
The 40 razors, 60 soaps era was fun but thoroughly finished.
Karve
Charcoal L2
Timeless Ti .95

Down to 5 soap jars from two brands.
GroomingDept
Tallow & Steel

Definitely a stainless Karve if/when they materialize but the soap limit is most important. 5 full jars is a lot of shaves even for a face and head shaver.
No more paradigm 17-4?
 
Top