When it’s time to reign it in.

J 5

Well-Known Member
I think I'm just about there. I get brilliant shaves more often than not, and I really don't need anything else.

I kind of want to dabble in the premium markets more, but I don't need to. And the premium razor designs I like most are all somewhat flawed (for me), which helps.

Now that I have seriously narrowed down what makes a razor enjoyable to me, it's easier to be discerning.
 

efsk

Forum GOD!
I go on, and on, and on. Problem with the hobby being a collection as well. So the slants they keep coming, maybe a bit slower as there's more I already have. But other stuff as well. Not because I'm looking for perfect, but because I like diversity.
There's records I play less than once every ten years, but whén I do, I'm glad I have them. Maybe a similar thing s going on with all things shaving.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I go on, and on, and on. Problem with the hobby being a collection as well. So the slants they keep coming, maybe a bit slower as there's more I already have. But other stuff as well. Not because I'm looking for perfect, but because I like diversity.
There's records I play less than once every ten years, but whén I do, I'm glad I have them. Maybe a similar thing s going on with all things shaving.
I have spent more on one 7” single than my full shaving collection is worth.
 

efsk

Forum GOD!
That must have been one hell of a 7", or you just rate your gear really low. I do own a couple of razors more expensive than what I paid for my most expensive LP.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
That must have been one hell of a 7", or you just rate your gear really low. I do own a couple of razors more expensive than what I paid for my most expensive LP.
Northern soul, It’s an expensive hobby I can assure you, the most famous record of it’s genre Do I love you by Frank Wilson last sold for £25000. Only two known ones worldwide so look in the attic, you never know.
 

Lann

Forum GOD!
Razor, brush and bowl wise I am happy with my lot. Soaps from P&B, Wickham's and Eufros will always be added to even though I have enough to last for a good few years.
 

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Razor, brush and bowl wise I am happy with my lot. Soaps from P&B, Wickham's and Eufros will always be added to even though I have enough to last for a good few years.
I'd be quite happy sticking to just Wickham and P&B to be fair, lots of scents I haven't tried yet but working on. I just have 1 marble bowl that was a present and I absolutely love.
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
My interest in shaving is still on the upward slope of a bell shaped curve. My acquisitions would be on the down slope. There are still items I really want, however, I am able to pass up the "next big thing" sometimes. I have learned to be selective and better understand my preferences. I do need to B/S/T sentimental gear and no longer favorites items.

Purchases and reading (forums for example) help maintain peak interest and on the upward slope.. My purchases goal for the next 15 months (subject to change) would be 3 brushes (FYI - my biggest weakness) , 1 razor, 8 soaps, 1, cream, 2 post shave moisturisers/skin food, zero blades, zero preshaves, zero accessories.

I hope to make more purchases, and be happy with all purchases. Everyone has their preferences and everyone is different.
 

Preacher

Über Member
My collection is very small. About 3 months ago, I landed the razor that gave me the shave I wanted. I had very good synthetic brushes, but from all of the reading really wanted a Simpson so I got one. I think that logically now I'm set. I do keep seeing very beautiful razors (I would love to have a Timeless Bronze and a RS10 from Raw Shaving). This is not to say that I'm dissatisfied with the ATT R1. As far as soaps, I'm going to keep experimenting!
 
I have found the two soap makers I intend to stick with, and I have my “top shelf” products that will never leave. I am a Shavemac diehard. Charcoal Goods and Wolfman .48 razors are as close to perfection as I can find....

....however, I think a fair few of us will eat these words six, 12, 18 months, from now, when something not even on the horizon drops and the script gets flipped one more time. I thought I had everything figured out a few months ago, then I stumble across the greatest discovery I’ve made while chasing the eternal carrot that is this hobby.
 
Top