TOBS shaving creams

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I’ve just received a tub of Eton College shaving cream, which I’ll start using in a fortnight or so once I’ve finished a tub of Fendrihan Aloe Water shaving cream (lovely stuff BTW). After a few uses I’ll revert on how I find the Elton College. I hope I’m not disappointed as I’ve been a die hard user of TOBS shaving creams for the last 25 years.
I’ve used the TOBS Eton College shaving cream for my last four shaves. I’m pleased to report that it performs very well: just like TOBS shaving creams have performed for the most part since I started using them ~25 years ago. As well, I do like the scent of Eton College.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I’ve used the TOBS Eton College shaving cream for my last four shaves. I’m pleased to report that it performs very well: just like TOBS shaving creams have performed for the most part since I started using them ~25 years ago. As well, I do like the scent of Eton College.
I get a nice citrus note from Eton College. It's one of my favorites.

J-B-M

Über Member
TOBS creams are performing well and all is right with the world. Somehow, it would put my world slightly out of joint if they fell into the reformulation trap. When this pandemic over I fully intend to visit the shop on Jermyn Street and buy some cream in person. I have walked past many times but never been in.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
TOBS creams are performing well and all is right with the world. Somehow, it would put my world slightly out of joint if they fell into the reformulation trap. When this pandemic over I fully intend to visit the shop on Jermyn Street and buy some cream in person. I have walked past many times but never been in.
Whenever I’m in London I drop into the Jermyn St shop. I like the way the goods are displayed and the helpful staff. A much friendlier environment than that of Trumper’s Curzon St shop.

J-B-M

Über Member
Whenever I’m in London I drop into the Jermyn St shop. I like the way the goods are displayed and the helpful staff. A much friendlier environment than that of Trumper’s Curzon St shop.
It always looks very inviting and not sure why I have never been. I have been to DR Harris fairly frequently - both the original shop and the 'new' mini-shop on Piccadilly.

Also, I once managed to plan sufficiently in advance to book a haircut in T&H - it's an experience worth having.

tryphon

Über Member
Taylor's changed the formulas several times over the last thirty years. Oldest (darkest lavender shown) was definitely best. EU rules forced changes in formulas, I miss the scents of the old Rose and Lavender formulations. Picture shows (L to R) current, 10 years ago and 30 years ago Lavender creams.

TOBS Lavender.jpg

Kevy

Forum GOD!
Taylor's changed the formulas several times over the last thirty years. Oldest (darkest lavender shown) was definitely best. EU rules forced changes in formulas, I miss the scents of the old Rose and Lavender formulations. Picture shows (L to R) current, 10 years ago and 30 years ago Lavender creams.

View attachment 92731
Great picture. How do the older ones perform now? And in 30 years, the price has only increased less than a fiver!

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I love TOBS creams, especially Rose and Lavender. I’ve been using these two creams for the past 30 years, but I don’t recall how they’ve changed over that time.

tryphon

Über Member
Great picture. How do the older ones perform now? And in 30 years, the price has only increased less than a fiver!
The oldest one beats all the others hands down. Some of the newer ones have gone bad (not the ons in the picture). My guess is that the EU nixed some preservatives which kept the creams useable for decades. The scent on the oldest one is fantastic. None of the newer ones even compare. Prices: you can get one today for ten quid?

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve just ordered a tub of TOBS sandalwood, not used it in years but it was the first shaving cream I ever bought and I’m looking forward to revisiting it. I wanted it in a tube really, but the tub holds twice as much and only costs £2 more.