Shampoo bars, which one is the best?

Brianh

Forum GOD!
Recent had the pleasure of trying @Brianh shampoo bars and I have to say they'll be next on my life, subject to price of course, as I haven't checked!
Lovely quick lather, washes out really easily and leaves my hair nice and clean. Nice simple scents too...
I just do the one fragrance blend - sent you offcuts of it. It’s £4.75 for a 140g bar
Regards Brian

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
To my regret, I have gone back to shampoo in plastic bottles. After exclusively using a shampoo bar for about 4 months, I concluded that my hair was thinner, lifeless and shedding somewhat because of being wholly stripped of its natural oils. I was using a few different kinds, good stuff too. After a transition, my hair became a lot happier, fuller and my barber commented on this too. It is a shame as I really wanted to go plastic free, but it wasn't to be for me.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Still going strong here. I love using them. No mess, no plastic, no waste, and, best of all, my hair and scalp are in fantastic nick. Thanks to this thread for highlighting to me that an alternative does exist to the bottled shampoos.
*So far, I've been exclusively using funky soaps.

slapo

It's... alive!
To my regret, I have gone back to shampoo in plastic bottles. After exclusively using a shampoo bar for about 4 months, I concluded that my hair was thinner, lifeless and shedding somewhat because of being wholly stripped of its natural oils. I was using a few different kinds, good stuff too. After a transition, my hair became a lot happier, fuller and my barber commented on this too. It is a shame as I really wanted to go plastic free, but it wasn't to be for me.
Which shampoo bar had you been using?

Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I've tried loads... There are some very good bars and TBH I have enjoyed using them all. But, the Scottish Fine:
is just FANTASTIC.
Lasts absolutely ages, 6-8 weeks, smells fantastic, leaves my hair (and body) clean without residue and is very reasonably priced. My new favourite and will take some beating!

slapo

It's... alive!
I've tried loads... There are some very good bars and TBH I have enjoyed using them all. But, the Scottish Fine:
is just FANTASTIC.
Lasts absolutely ages, 6-8 weeks, smells fantastic, leaves my hair (and body) clean without residue and is very reasonably priced. My new favourite and will take some beating!
It's a shame they don't have it in another scent, I don't like cedarwood nor more than a hint of vetiver. :-/

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Is a shampoo bar the same as hair soap? Or does the term „shampoo“ hint at a higher level of cleaning?

At the moment I am using a hair soap from Haslinger that is OK. Also tried washing with Aleppo soap for quite a while and the results are not noticeably different. My hair still requires a wash every day, which is what I was trying to eliminate.

I will stick to the soaps as I think my hair is healthier as a result.

slapo

It's... alive!
Is a shampoo bar the same as hair soap? Or does the term „shampoo“ hint at a higher level of cleaning?

At the moment I am using a hair soap from Haslinger that is OK. Also tried washing with Aleppo soap for quite a while and the results are not noticeably different. My hair still requires a wash every day, which is what I was trying to eliminate.

I will stick to the soaps as I think my hair is healthier as a result.
They're all soaps, really. I think it's up to the manufacturer to decide whether it's suitable for hair up top or beavers & co.
For what's it worth, the only liquid soaps I found to be gentle on my hair were the ones that used sunflower oil as the main oil.
Otherwise, short ingredient bar soaps have proven to be gentler while cleaning well. Unless they has a lot of coconut oil as a part of their oil base. Those were really drying.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
Which shampoo bar had you been using?
Three different ones, one unbranded one from the local health shop, and then two different ones from Lush. Based on my experience with these, I chose not to go further down the rabbit hole. But there may be far better products out there.

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
is just FANTASTIC.
Was about to order this, but the shipping to Sweden is horrible. £14 for two bars:(