October 2018 Acquisitions

Wayne

Forum Sod
I've had a few Maggards bulbs are more half bulbs. Never seen a Maggards true fan or true bulb they seem almost a hybrid shape.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your newly set knot in a nice new handle.

View attachment 37889
Thanks, the handle looks a bit special, I'm secretly hoping it isn't as large as my last one which is a monster.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
I use Williams a couple times a week. In fact I used it an hour ago. It is cheap as chips here in the US & Canada. Many say they can't get consistent lather, but I think we're spoiled by today's instant lather products. Drop the Williams into a mug, soak a big boar for 5 minutes, get as much water out of the boar as you can, and then swirl on the soap in the mug for a solid 60-90 seconds. After 30-40 seconds you'll begin to feel resistance to the brush moving on the soap- keep working at it. Ignore the airy bubbly froth that is almost spilling over the top of the mug. If you like, scoop up what you can and start to face lather. After covering your face return to the mug and swirl for the final 20-30 seconds. Then face lather. You may want to drop a few drops of water into the knot to personal preference. Spend a fair amount of time on your face using paint brush strokes. I know this is some work but you'll be rewarded with an incredibly rich, stable, slick lather. It really isn't all that different than lathering Mitchell's in my experience. It such a historic soap- in continuous production since 1840.
I only have experience with a vintage puck (about my own age I surmise). Have you tried both new and vintage and is the difference significant? I get excellent lather from mine, with less work than what you apparently need to invest in current ones.
 

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
Thank you @Acer89
Already tried the combination and decided that this is the right one for me.

When you order blades at 4th of October, the razor at 17th of October and they come together... :hyper:
I am sure that @DrewG made a better package than the company itself!

Only problem is that I shaved yesterday with 98R, but I can not stand there looking at them!

IMG_20181024_104412.jpg
 

Acer89

James
Thank you @Acer89
Already tried the combination and decided that this is the right one for me.

When you order blades at 4th of October, the razor at 17th of October and they come together... :hyper:
I am sure that @DrewG made a better package than the company itself!

Only problem is that I shaved yesterday with 98R, but I can not stand there looking at them!

View attachment 37902
If you want a nice stainless steel stand for the ss General look HERE

general stand.jpg
 
Top