No Buy 2019

Wayne

Forum Sod
In the grand scheme of things, no matter how cash strapped or frugal you are, the reality is we will all waste a damn sight more money on things that last moments like Alcohol,Tobacco, Coffee and Takeaways/Restaurants, Football etc that last minutes and give virtually zero value for money than the pleasure we all get from a new Soap, Blades, Splashes and the odd more expensive items occasionally which in reality give good value for our hard earned. To get 3/4 months use from an Artisan Soap for £10 is great value compered to a Domino's. So, do we really need to proclaim a No buy 2019?
Are we doing it for the right reasons? If you buy a product and don't like it, you can always get some percentage back in resale, unlike a £12 takeaway Pizza, it's things like that we need to proclaim a no buy 2019 on. Don't you agree?
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
In the grand scheme of things, no matter how cash strapped or frugal you are, the reality is we will all waste a damn sight more money on things that last moments like Alcohol,Tobacco, Coffee and Takeaways/Restaurants, Football etc that last minutes and give virtually zero value for money than the pleasure we all get from a new Soap, Blades, Splashes and the odd more expensive items occasionally which in reality give good value for our hard earned. To get 3/4 months use from an Artisan Soap for £10 is great value compered to a Domino's. So, do we really need to proclaim a No buy 2019?
Are we doing it for the right reasons? If you buy a product and don't like it, you can always get some percentage back in resale, unlike a £12 takeaway Pizza, it's things like that we need to proclaim a no buy 2019 on. Don't you agree?
Spot on. I don’t smoke, I like a little drink at home and take away in our house is a treat rather than the norm. I don’t have a financial need to reduce or not buy. I do need a sense of reality from time to time, 30 or so soaps on the go is a little OTT.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Spot on. I don’t smoke, I like a little drink at home and take away in our house is a treat rather than the norm. I don’t have a financial need to reduce or not buy. I do need a sense of reality from time to time, 30 or so soaps on the go is a little OTT.
I totally agree but if you off load a few from time to time to put towards new purchases it'll ease the conscience a little. I went through last year buying lots of soaps and then saying 'I have far too many' so sold off soaps for the wrong reasons. I'm firmly rescinding any declarations of a no buy 2019. If I want it and can afford it, I'm having it. I bloody work hard enough for it and I'll be dead a long time.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
In the grand scheme of things, no matter how cash strapped or frugal you are, the reality is we will all waste a damn sight more money on things that last moments like Alcohol,Tobacco, Coffee and Takeaways/Restaurants, Football etc that last minutes and give virtually zero value for money than the pleasure we all get from a new Soap, Blades, Splashes and the odd more expensive items occasionally which in reality give good value for our hard earned. To get 3/4 months use from an Artisan Soap for £10 is great value compered to a Domino's. So, do we really need to proclaim a No buy 2019?
Are we doing it for the right reasons? If you buy a product and don't like it, you can always get some percentage back in resale, unlike a £12 takeaway Pizza, it's things like that we need to proclaim a no buy 2019 on. Don't you agree?
In my case I feel I have bought everything I need twice over, with regards to shaving. It becomes a bit repetitive and at times I feel like a marketing mule or over marketed.

YMMV but I have come to the conclusion that technique is king. I can pick up a straight razor and a Palmolive stick. Subsequently have a super slick, super smooth and incredibly efficient shave. Sound familiar? Yep that's right I have the same experience with many of my other razors. Face feel may slightly differ, but the question with rising costs, is it worth it? Essentially it's always a comfortable and effective shave.

I spend very little on alcohol, as an example, I have had 2 ales over Christmas and New Year. A couple of beers on my birthday and that's about it. Takeaways are not really our thing either. Much prefer cooking from fresh. A pizza handmade at home costs £3, Domino's for 2 is around £20. I do understand the question posed but believe it's quite individualistic. Definitely worse things to spend your money on, but in the same notion my stubble removal currently comes in at a staggering (approx) 5-6K. In all honesty for £5 I could get as good a shave.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I totally agree but if you off load a few from time to time to put towards new purchases it'll ease the conscience a little. I went through last year buying lots of soaps and then saying 'I have far too many' so sold off soaps for the wrong reasons. I'm firmly rescinding any declarations of a no buy 2019. If I want it and can afford it, I'm having it. I bloody work hard enough for it and I'll be dead a long time.
Wayne the issue is, as you definitely know, offloading soaps is easier said than done. If sold, generally your losing a large % of its initial value just based on not liking the scent. Let's face it performance is usually fine.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Wayne the issue is, as you definitely know, offloading soaps is easier said than done. If sold, generally your losing a large % of its initial value just based on not liking the scent. Let's face it performance is usually fine.
I agree but you Nishy. No argument there. I certainly have felt the pain of selling soaps but my point is, you will get more back from selling an unloved soap than you will from a used bottle of Wine for the same outlay or a packet of Fags, or a night at the Cinema. If you cut those things out you will feel less guilty when you buy a new brush, knowing you will get real value from it.
 
Me in. Wet shaving is becoming a real stupid game IMHO.
I just started my 2019 selling almost every Barrister&Mann & Co (boring) sets to some friends. I'm going this way keeping only shaving soaps with scents similar to niche fragrances.
 
Last edited:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Nope. I already buy a lot less than I used to, these days I don’t bother unless it’s something I really want. On those grounds if I see something I really want I’m not going to pass on it.
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
In the grand scheme of things, no matter how cash strapped or frugal you are, the reality is we will all waste a damn sight more money on things that last moments like Alcohol,Tobacco, Coffee and Takeaways/Restaurants, Football etc that last minutes and give virtually zero value for money than the pleasure we all get from a new Soap, Blades, Splashes and the odd more expensive items occasionally which in reality give good value for our hard earned. To get 3/4 months use from an Artisan Soap for £10 is great value compered to a Domino's. So, do we really need to proclaim a No buy 2019?
Are we doing it for the right reasons? If you buy a product and don't like it, you can always get some percentage back in resale, unlike a £12 takeaway Pizza, it's things like that we need to proclaim a no buy 2019 on. Don't you agree?
Agreed...
 
Top