Is it worth $100 more?

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!
I was considering getting the WRH7 handle when I get a Wolfman but having seen the Windrose "version" I'll just get the WRH2 as originally planned and get the Windrose WRH7 style handle on the cheap. I'm sure it won't be quite the same as the Wolfman handle but for under £20 I'll have it anyway.
 

johnus

Well-Known Member
Told my Rolex before, but it's worth repeating. Years, and a number of wives, ago, thought it was cool to have a Rolex. Of course it had to be a new one, and I happened to have an aquantance that had a jewelry store. He ordered the one I wanted, got it and after a month it was a couple of seconds off. Took it back, no problem, he sent it back and after a few weeks it came back and it was better but still not perfect. So after doing this 3-4 time the factory rep call him and advised him to tell me that a Rolex was a Chronometer and that if I wanted something that gave a constantly correct time that I should buy a Timex!
Think it's the same with your handles, it's usually the name and not its function that's worth the extra 100$.
 

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
Told my Rolex before, but it's worth repeating. Years, and a number of wives, ago, thought it was cool to have a Rolex. Of course it had to be a new one, and I happened to have an aquantance that had a jewelry store. He ordered the one I wanted, got it and after a month it was a couple of seconds off. Took it back, no problem, he sent it back and after a few weeks it came back and it was better but still not perfect. So after doing this 3-4 time the factory rep call him and advised him to tell me that a Rolex was a Chronometer and that if I wanted something that gave a constantly correct time that I should buy a Timex!
Think it's the same with your handles, it's usually the name and not its function that's worth the extra 100$.
The factory rep was entirely correct. A quartz watch will always be more accurate than any mechanical watch, no matter how well crafted it is. I would say your expectations were/are unrealistic.

Back to razor handles, I will agree that the "name" does impact price, but so does labour, materials, and demand.

Of all those things, demand and name combined, keep the price high.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Part of the price for Wolfman stuff is that demand is far outstripping supply. If he had a pallet-load of unsold handles they'd be a lot cheaper, but the fact is that he can charge what he does and still can't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. I'd do exactly the same in his shoes.
 

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Not sure if it's OK to post Ebay links...someone will put me right if it's not but the advert refers to Windrose and they're a tenner delivered. The topic arose in the other place maybe a year ago. I bought one and, considering the cost of it, (I say again it was ten English pounds including delivery!) ... a moron like me was only able to find fault with the way the threaded end of the handle felt when it made contact with the razor head...it was a just a hint of a tad more "gritty" than, say, the Feather ASD2 that I was comparing it to at the time.

At the time I was pretty amazed at how it could be done. Others speculated that they had to produced abroad...I don't know myself. There are a few adverts for Windrush - some a bit dearer and with some variations in design etc.

As I say, at the time I was trying to find love for the Feather razor that I'd just spent a few bob on and, despite persevering with it, I moved it on to a willing recipient due to the fact that, despite being beautifully engineered, it didn't actually serve the purpose of giving me a close shave....presumably the buyer was happy....he never came round to break my windows for me.

Most of us have some good gear as well as some cheapies (and we all love a bargin) but I can see why Wayne raises the question.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windrose-...2199f78&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=262131374462
 

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
On forums, BIN (buy it now) or ended auctions are usually what are allowed to be posted.

I've also heard that companies that make standoffs (the little threaded posts that keep the computer's motherboard from touching the side of the case) will make them in many sizes, lengths, colors and threadings, brass, stainless, and titanium...and they are cheap as chips.

With a large supply of those, anyone with a metal lathe and some tools can make "custom" handles.

I'm not saying that is the case, but it's one example of a way for a company to keep costs down.
 

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Well I certainly would never had known that. There clearly is a means of producing them legitimately coz they're there, in the flesh - and have been for a long time, maybe that's an explanation.

But then I see things on Ebay, Amazon and elsewhere that come from all over the world and cost peanuts (including worldwide delivery) and I can't imagine how theses things are manufactured, sourced by someone, packed, delivered, have VAT on them...etc etc.

Those blades fron Unuta in Russia, for example. Or those little sample vial things for putting 2ml of EDT and passing it on to others...they are so cheap - and get delivered so quickly.
 
Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
Just checked and he has made four more that are available now. They have gone up a quid to £18.99 but still phenomenal value for what you get in my humble opinion that is. I still say they will stand against anything out there. The Darwin style ones and the ATT style bamboo's look ok too
 

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
...But then I see things on Ebay, Amazon and elsewhere that come from all over the world and cost peanuts (including worldwide delivery) and I can't imagine how theses things are manufactured, sourced by someone, packed, delivered, have VAT on them...etc etc.

Those blades fron Unuta in Russia, for example. Or those little sample vial things for putting 2ml of EDT and passing it on to others...they are so cheap - and get delivered so quickly.
It has to do with the Universal Postal Union "a specialized agency of the United Nations that coordinates postal policies among member nations"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

Basically we agree to deliver their mail free once it hits the shores and they do the same.

Most Chinese sellers use a service called epacket to send small items to the US and UK. Epacket is a unilateral agreement between USPS, Royal Mail, eBay and China Post that allows Chinese sellers to send items to the US and UK in bulk at a low rate.

Even without epacket, Chinese postage is a lot lower than in the US or UK. ePacket is also available for sellers from Hong Kong,Japan, and Singapore.

Found this page from eBay China for ePacket rates from China to USA. Translated, it says

  • A single parcel not more than 65 grams: 7.8 yuan / parcel
  • 66-250 grams: 0.12 yuan per gram
  • 251-300 grams: 30 yuan / parcel
  • 301- 2000 grams: 0.1 yuan per gram
The page is from 2012 so rates may be different now. There's probably further discounts for bulk postage as is the norm in the freight and shipping industry. Bulk Air Mail Rates from Hong Kong Post. Appears to be even cheaper than the above.
 
Top