Is it worth $100 more?

Mrchick

Handsome Avatar
Would you find any difference between cartridge razor and safety razor? They both shave. What about Gillette Gel and Wickham's Super Smooth? To someone not educated in these matters like us, they're both razors and soap, both shave and so what. So too then with a Windrose and a Wolfman. If you've been educated to know the difference then you will, but you'd be ignorant to the facts until then.
You are taking this in a different direction. I said I wouldn't pay $100.00 for an apple that looks just like another apple. Now you are asking about the difference between an apple and an orange. Yes, I will pay more for quality when it means better performance and or longevity. I don't think we are talking $100.00 difference in those areas when it comes to these particular handles. If it is worth to you, go for it. I won't fault you for that.
 

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
Sometimes those last, finer, little details are what commands the price hike. I don't care for paying the difference myself but can appreciate the craftsmanship/extra quality. Now if we're talking apples then it ain't the looks, it's the flavour...:wink:

It can be seen in many other areas of this weird world of whisker whacking. Fifty pence Palmolive to whatever MdC costs? A shaver grade vintage Tech to a Pils? Blue Stratos to Creed Aventus? As the man said, the law of diminishing returns applies and it'll be worth it to those that decide to pay it and keep it.
 
Last edited:

Len

Forum GOD!


Above is my Stork Ex Ti Titanium handle on the BBS-1 razor head. The handle is nearly the same as the WRH7, except that there is knurling in the middle and base of the Stork. The WRH7 handle in Titanium costs $200 brushed, or $250 polished. The Stork titanium cost me $100, and has better quality knurling than all 3 of my Wolfman handles. To me, Stork is a better quality handle, at a discount of 50%+... and oh yeah... you can actually buy one... :wink:
 

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
Well, I can't speak for exact differences between Wolfman and Windrose, but I can make some general statements based on my background growing up a machinist's son, and talking to an expert machinist who has examined the Wolfman handles. I'll also address the Stork handle above.

Wolfman uses a machine center to produce his razors, which is a stupid way to make razors, in my opinion. It's slow, expensive, and makes only one at a time. The trade-off is perfection. Every dimension will be perfect in every way.

Shane, at @Blackland Razors also has his razors made on a machine center, which is one of the reasons his razors cost what they do.

Someone with a screw machine could pump out high quality razor handles all day for pennies. It would make handles rapidly and be fairly high quality. In fact, the Hempel screw machine is one of the better known brands, and I've always wondered if that was an inside joke on Jergen Hempel's part...

Why doesn't everyone use CNC screw machines? Because they are really, really expensive to purchase.

As for Stork, the difference in finish and 'percieved' quality is simple. Stork uses 100% titanium, which is actually pretty soft, and useless to the industry, except for making lightweight camping gear. Wolfman uses a titanium alloy, which is harder, stronger, and is actually somewhat challenging to machine well.

Does all that explain the difference in prices? Not entirely, but at least now you guys will have some idea of why each company prices their handles the way they do, and feels justified in charging what they do.

Two handles can look exactly the same to an untrained eye, but one takes an hour to make, and the other can take five minutes to make. (Machine center vs Screw machine)
 

Len

Forum GOD!
Why doesn't everyone use CNC screw machines? Because they are really, really expensive to purchase.

As for Stork, the difference in finish and 'percieved' quality is simple. Stork uses 100% titanium, which is actually pretty soft, and useless to the industry, except for making lightweight camping gear. Wolfman uses a titanium alloy, which is harder, stronger, and is actually somewhat challenging to machine well.

Does all that explain the difference in prices? Not entirely, but at least now you guys will have some idea of why each company prices their handles the way they do, and feels justified in charging what they do.

Two handles can look exactly the same to an untrained eye, but one takes an hour to make, and the other can take five minutes to make. (Machine center vs Screw machine)
Both Stork and Wolfman use Titanium alloys (not 100% titanium), although, the grades, I believe are different.

Do we know the machining processes of either Stork or Windrose? And can one tell the difference anyway, as especially if the tolerances need not be as precise on something as simple as a handle, compared to a head, or even much more precise equipment than anything shaving related?
 

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
Both Stork and Wolfman use Titanium alloys (not 100% titanium), although, the grades, I believe are different.

Do we know the machining processes of either Stork or Windrose? And can one tell the difference anyway, as especially if the tolerances need not be as precise on something as simple as a handle, compared to a head, or even much more precise equipment than anything shaving related?
No, we do not know the machining processes of Stork or Windrose. I can say that Windrose does not use a machine center for their handles. They couldn't make any money off their handles if they did.

As for how to tell, screw machines leave a distinctive deep spiral mark on the metal. Usually it's machined off in a later process, but it's decorative enough that it could be left as part of the handle design. Otherwise, there really isn't any way to know unless an experienced machinist looks at it, which I've already admitted, I'm not. :)

Edit: as for the tolerances needing to be that precise on something like a handle...
I'm sure you've read enough @Darkbulb reviews to note that he always compares the screwing part of a three-piece razor to the "butter like threading of a Wolfman" or words to that effect.
 
Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
If you are kinky about knurling you really need to feel an Executive shaving Braveheart or Non slip handle. I've never felt knurling as deep.
 

Dave-the-rave

Forum GOD!
Not me mate I'm happy using the original handles. I did try a handle with super perv kinky knurling. Maybe it was an Ikon or the ASD2 handle, I don't remember. It was like velcro. I swear if I had sat on it it would have stayed stuck to my arse all day long. All well and good if that's your thing but I wouldn't pay money to buy one at any price. I just don't have the need meself. Each to their own and all that.
 

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
Not me mate I'm happy using the original handles. I did try a handle with super perv kinky knurling. Maybe it was an Ikon or the ASD2 handle, I don't remember. It was like velcro. I swear if I had sat on it it would have stayed stuck to my arse all day long. All well and good if that's your thing but I wouldn't pay money to buy one at any price. I just don't have the need meself. Each to their own and all that.
My PHeonix Artisan Accoutrements Double Open Comb is like that. Great head, crap handle.

The edges of the knurling where it meets the smooth band are a bit sharp. The handles should have been tumbled to remove sharp edges before plating.
 
Last edited:
Top