Fancy buying a DE

slapo

It's... alive!
Here's a list of those that I find to be some of my all time favourites for nice, fuss-free shaves:
- RazoRock Lupo DC. pretty much any of the Lupos, to me, are very nice shavers. I'm partial to the Lupo dual comb head, as the OC side gets through heavier growth with more ease, and the 0.95mm side is pretty good for getting the more difficult spots afterwards (less fussy about the angle than the OC side for me).
- PAA Ascension - feels quite mild to me, but when I grope my face after a shave with it, I'm always pretty pleased.
- Stando Chors - larger blade gap (1.30mm), mild (neutral blade exposure) yet efficient, which I reckon is because the angle is very easy to keep with it.
- Stando Cat Claw - 1.18mm blade gap, slightly positive blade exposure, but still feels pretty mild to me. A bit more efficient than the Chors.
- Pearl Blaze - I didn't think I'd like it, but I find it to pretty decent, and it feels alright ATG, unlike almost all other heads of a similar design I've tried so far (the Rocca v4 is the only other one). I found it nicer in practice than the Yates Precision razor (with any of the plates).
- RazoRock GameChanger JAWS 0.68mm. I can hardly tell I'm shaving, but my face is always near all-BBS after a shave with it ("near" being due to me, of course).
- RazoRock BBS OC and AS. The AS is supposed to be decidedly more aggressive than the standard plate (according to RR), but I can barely tell the difference. It is more efficient, though. The OC feels in-between the two, but so far, I found it about as efficient as the AS.
I find the AS plate feels kind of like the 0.95mm plate of the Lupo, and it performs similarly.
- RazoRock BBS or Baby Smooth top cap with the Yaqi Knight Helmet base plate or the iKon .
- RazoRock Mambas - I always get good shaves with them now, but it took me a while to dial them in. A little blade picky.
- Karve SS OC F plate with the Yaqi Knight Helmet top cap. That top cap pairs with the bade plate exceptionally well, and the results are ace.
- Homelike Start 1.18 OC, Colibri 1.50 SB and 1.30mm OC. These also pair very well with the Above the Tie Windsor Pro SS top cap.
- iKon Shavecraft 101 (sadly, now unobtainium) and 103.
- Maggard's Slant and RR Wunderbar. The latter is better made, and more efficient. The former is inexpensive, but still well made and it's a very comfy shaver.

I'm not quite sure what it is you're looking for in the razor this time around, but if you'd like to try some of the above, send me a PM and I can lend you some. :)

I also have a GameChanger 0.84 SB and the Rex Envoy on the BST (with some more coming soon). They're nice, but I prefer the ones I listed above.
 
Last edited:

johnnyusa

Forum GOD!
I've found I really like the quality of anything Japanese-made quite alot, which is why I went w/ the Feather ss DE, which was pricey but Feather also sells a $20 DE. The Feather razor blades are the best, I think- right, or no?
German-made is also always excellent quality, but I like Japanese a little more bc they just don't cut corners. For example, I have a $150 jap-made hammered copper kettle w/ much greater craftsmanship than a .999 silver Chinese kettle @ x10 the cost.
Making coffee or tea from water boiled in pure silver, copper, or any diamagnetic metal is the bee's knees.
 

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
I've found I really like the quality of anything Japanese-made quite alot, which is why I went w/ the Feather ss DE, which was pricey but Feather also sells a $20 DE. The Feather razor blades are the best, I think- right, or no?
German-made is also always excellent quality, but I like Japanese a little more bc they just don't cut corners. For example, I have a $150 jap-made hammered copper kettle w/ much greater craftsmanship than a .999 silver Chinese kettle @ x10 the cost.
Making coffee or tea from water boiled in pure silver, copper, or any diamagnetic metal is the bee's knees.
Your right about the Feather i have the AS-D2 & i have a further 3 vintage feathers and 3 other vintage japanese razors and all superbly build
However on a personal note i wouldn’t say the feather blades were the best,
i like them but for me sometimes they are a hit or miss,
iv had shaves where iv just felt the quality hasn’t been there, saying that i open a new pack & it’s fine,
is it quality control im unsure.
for me at the moment the best blades are
Gillette Super Thins & especially the Platinum.
if that was my only blade i would be happy
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
hey @Wayne how ya doing mate?

ever tried out the Henson de razor before?
Think you might like it due to its head design, very easy to find the angle and brilliant ATG
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Wayne, good to see you dipping your toe back in.

Expensive but I’ve been blown away by the Blutt Razor, it’s my only DE although I do have the Lupo on the way to try.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Maybe a bit left field for your preferences, but consider the Lord S625 (aka Lord L6), just a great medium shaver, yes it feels light and it is certainly no jewellery piece, but it performs superbly - smooth, comfortable, efficient. Less than £5 delivered from La Barbiera.
 
Top