Bloody slippery alum blocks!!!!!!

Dr Watson

James
The expensive one's have rounded corners and a denser structure, I started out with a cheap £3.99 Windrose branded block and when I dropped it the whole block exploded into a million pieces... Bought a Feret Parfumeur one for £10 a while back, when I dropped it a corner chipped off and that was it.

Could just be luck but there are no bubbles or irregularities in the more expensive block. Is it worth the extra? Probably not but it's definitely not the same thing with a logo.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
If you are using an anti perspirant, it most likely contains Al alum.
Now there is where some of the confusion may come from. I am using a deodorant not an anti perspirant and the ingredients say Ammonium Alum which are supposedly neutralize odor but are not large enough to block pores to prevent sweating and be absorbed into the body. I did as the Pharmacist what the difference was between Potassium Alum and Ammonium Alum and was told Ammonium Alum will sting more. Turns out she was correct on that aspect at least.

Bob
 

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
The expensive one's have rounded corners and a denser structure, I started out with a cheap £3.99 Windrose branded block and when I dropped it the whole block exploded into a million pieces... Bought a Feret Parfumeur one for £10 a while back, when I dropped it a corner chipped off and that was it.

Could just be luck but there are no bubbles or irregularities in the more expensive block. Is it worth the extra? Probably not but it's definitely not the same thing with a logo.
I'd "read somewhere" that the more expensive ones were made from larger continuous crystals whereas cheaper were a load of smaller crystals/dust pressed together which correlates with what you're saying.
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I find the price can also reflect where the Alum comes from. One of the cheapest is Gentleman Jon which comes from China. Osma comes from France. I have the Gentleman Jon but didn't realize it came from China. Given the lack of transparency with things that come from China I bought a block of Osma for when the Gentleman Jon disappears. I've been using the same block for going on 3 years. And I use it after every shave.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Now there is where some of the confusion may come from. I am using a deodorant not an anti perspirant and the ingredients say Ammonium Alum which are supposedly neutralize odor but are not large enough to block pores to prevent sweating and be absorbed into the body. I did as the Pharmacist what the difference was between Potassium Alum and Ammonium Alum and was told Ammonium Alum will sting more. Turns out she was correct on that aspect at least.

Bob
Yes being Ammonium based it is more likely to sting, especially if used on sensitive skin.
 
Top