Bloody slippery alum blocks!!!!!!

R181

Grumpy old man
A good time to start a war about ali verus pot alums? To start, I would not enterain aluminium alums.
Sorry did not realize there was a war on. I did realize aluminum is not good for you unless you want Alzheimer's. As far as I know Potassium Alum and Ammonium Alum are more or less benign in regards to that. I could easily be wrong on that though. A quick web search turn up this https://articles.mercola.com/sites/.../16/aluminum-lurks-in-crystal-deodorants.aspx . The paragraphs just before Final recommendations deals with those two Alums/Aluminums .

As always, to be completely safe you could avoid using both Potassium Alum and Ammonium Alum.

Bob
 

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Sorry did not realize there was a war on. I did realize aluminum is not good for you unless you want Alzheimer's. As far as I know Potassium Alum and Ammonium Alum are more or less benign in regards to that. I could easily be wrong on that though. A quick web search turn up this https://articles.mercola.com/sites/.../16/aluminum-lurks-in-crystal-deodorants.aspx . The paragraphs just before Final recommendations deals with those two Alums/Aluminums .

As always, to be completely safe you could avoid using both Potassium Alum and Ammonium Alum.

Bob
Chlorine is highly toxic. To be completely safe I recommend you should avoid sodium chloride if at all possible. :rolleyes:
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
We could do with a “safe list” for reference.

Actually, we could do with a glossary too, for all the abbreviations RAD, MDC, .........
 
D

Deleted member 476

Guest
Chlorine is highly toxic. To be completely safe I recommend you should avoid sodium chloride if at all possible. :rolleyes:
Fluoride is highly toxic and naturally occurring in groundwater too. You should immediately stop brushing you teeth, sue your dentist for malpractice and permanently stop drinking all forms of water. :o_o:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
Is there a difference between alum blocks from the various brands? Mine is a cheap and unbranded rectangular block... I though the rest must only be more expensive due to packaging and a logo.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Is there a difference between alum blocks from the various brands? Mine is a cheap and unbranded rectangular block... I though the rest must only be more expensive due to packaging and a logo.
Good question. Ammonium Alum and Potassium Alum are different with the former stinging a bit more if you messed a shave up. I guess it would depend on the ingredients.

Bob
 

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
Good question. Ammonium Alum and Potassium Alum are different with the former stinging a bit more if you messed a shave up. I guess it would depend on the ingredients.

Bob
They're all just a block of Potassium Alum (the shaving ones) as far as I can tell. I don't see any difference apart from shape, packaging and price (which varies wildly).

Happy to be corrected if there's something 'better' I should be looking at.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it, there is no clinical evidence of a link to either cancer or Alzheimers from aluminium. Also, as illustrated perfectly in the sodium chloride example given above, aluminium chlorohydrate and potassium alum are not the same thing, so even if there was a link backed up by anything other than rumour we're talking about a different chemical compound.

https://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety#1
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/myths/antiperspirants-fact-sheet

I don't use alum after shaving but it makes great deodorant.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
They're all just a block of Potassium Alum (the shaving ones) as far as I can tell. I don't see any difference apart from shape, packaging and price (which varies wildly).

Happy to be corrected if there's something 'better' I should be looking at.
Beats me what the difference would be, if they are all marked Potassium Alum. I'd be happy to learn if there was something "better" also.

Bob
 
Top