Your coffee brewing method

georgesg

Forum GOD!
I alternate between the Hario and Kalita Wave, as my “ daily drivers”. Also use a Chemex or French press for larger batches. I occasionally play around with a siphon pot, but have yet to get it dialed in; there is something eluding me.
It seems, for me, that every coffee maker is somewhat unique, and requires a different grind... practice, practice...Where have I heard that before?
Generally I’v found a 17:1 + ratio tastes good to me.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
The crema in espresso is not just carbon dioxide gas, it's also an emulsion of coffee oils produced by the high pressure of the espresso machine, that's why it has a great flavour. That's completely different to the foam on french press which is basically just carbon dioxide gas released by hot water hitting the coffee, there's not much in the way of flavour from it. It would also contain bits of extracted coffee that have floated to the top, which again, would detract from the final taste rather than add to it. Next time you make a french press, drink the foam you scooped off and you can taste that it isn't the same as crema from espresso.
I did as you suggested and you are correct sir. The foamy stuff floating on top of the french press brew is quite bitter.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjTZfbfr3QI

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Been perusing this thread and others the last few days.
A KG79 is order of the day I think and some sort of Espresso machine. A Gaggia would be nice but De Longhi seem to be up there

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Been perusing this thread and others the last few days.
A KG79 is order of the day I think and some sort of Espresso machine. A Gaggia would be nice but De Longhi seem to be up there
After shimming the kg79, the fine, consistent grind it produces is working very well for me.

p.b

Forum GOD!
8234A18F-6067-4BA5-9A2A-BF6FF1F07082.jpeg

After 8 years of sterling service the boiler cap moulding sheared off whilst I was tightening the cap. Being Swiss every part is replaceable and it only costs €70 plus another €20 to ship it 🤪

(The Italian machine that preceded this one had far cheaper parts that were available in the UK, which was just as well as it proved less reliable than a 1980 Alfa)