Which blade is most sharp - favourites..?

H0kusai

Forum GOD!
I have a nagging suspicion that all of this is subjective, unless someone can somehow demonstrate "sharpness" vis-à-vis a razor blade. They're all pretty damn sharp.
This is exactly what I think. To my best knowledge, no one has publicly produced objective comparative data - you would need equipment like www.catra.org/pages/products/razors/razors.htm for that. So many of the rumours about blade sharpness are contradictory: While many believe that Feathers are sharpest, there is disagreement if that is a good or a bad thing, and brands like Astra, Shark and Wilkinson a described as "sharp" by some or less aggressive and mild by others. Merkurs are systematically derided as blunt and tuggy on one forum and lauded as "the reference blade" on another.

My own experience shows exactly that subjective inconsistency: Voskhod and Iridium super (held to be "sharp" blades by many) just skrape and tug in all of my razors. I can get a decent result out of them, but it ain't pleasant. I get very good results with Gillette Silver Blues that some think must be the same blade as the Iridiums...

I'm with Michael Ham in this matter, blades are inherently unpredictable:

https://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/08/07/a-disquisition-on-blade-sampler-packs/

Btw, Michael cites the bold claim that Gillette Silver Blues are blades that work for everyone who has tried them - Lord Fatboy's experience falsifies that.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
I do not use a DE often anymore but I can't find a lot of difference between blades when I do. I generally use Feathers or GSB blades because I am looking for sharp. I think it is mostly personal preference for people as there has not been any scientific study done to my knowledge. Even if there was such a study it would not tell you much in how you would react to using the proven sharpest blade.

I do know from using a straight razor that there is sharp and then there is sharp and smooth. It can be hard to find the latter in a DE blade too.

Bob

S

Steve Bowles

This is exactly what I think. To my best knowledge, no one has publicly produced objective comparative data - you would need equipment like www.catra.org/pages/products/razors/razors.htm for that. So many of the rumours about blade sharpness are contradictory: While many believe that Feathers are sharpest, there is disagreement if that is a good or a bad thing, and brands like Astra, Shark and Wilkinson a described as "sharp" by some or less aggressive and mild by others. Merkurs are systematically derided as blunt and tuggy on one forum and lauded as "the reference blade" on another.

My own experience shows exactly that subjective inconsistency: Voskhod and Iridium super (held to be "sharp" blades by many) just skrape and tug in all of my razors. I can get a decent result out of them, but it ain't pleasant. I get very good results with Gillette Silver Blues that some think must be the same blade as the Iridiums...

I'm with Michael Ham in this matter, blades are inherently unpredictable:

https://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/08/07/a-disquisition-on-blade-sampler-packs/

Btw, Michael cites the bold claim that Gillette Silver Blues are blades that work for everyone who has tried them - Lord Fatboy's experience falsifies that.
Hate GSBs. :(

Hexagrapher

If I had to choose one favourite sharp blade, it would be the Astra SP hands down.

Feather may well be a wee bit sharper but they're definitely not nearly as smooth and will occasionally give a poor first shave - I think some people deburr the edges using cork, foam or cloth to help with this.

But the Astra SP is an old faithful. Any occasions where I'm going to do something afterwards and want to be confident of a good shave, I always use them.

D

Deleted member 30

The three blades I use the most after single edge Personna are Feather, Astra - green and Gillette 7 O'clock - yellow. The sharpest would be the Feathers, followed by the 7 O'clocks, but my favourite would be the Astra green. Only because I don't have to give much consideration about shaving sensitive areas of my face with these blades.

Acer89

James
Gillette Indian blacks are sharp and smooth or Personna med preps. Mind you the Personna's have nipped me a few time ... little buggers!

S

Steve Bowles

I stick with Astra SP, Polsilver SI, and Voskhod. I've got a couple of Sharks and 7 O'clock Yellows that were recommended, and there's nothing wrong with either of them. If it shaves and doesn't irritate, it's sharp enough.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
To be fair, most wet-shaving related stuff is subjective. I'm not sure there would be forums otherwise, maybe just graphs. :D
Have to agree. The YMMV caveat should automatically be added to any post about blades.

I dislike Voskhods, Astras and Silver Blues which are loved by many. This is after running through a tuck or more of each in different razors.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I really rate Gillette Nacet's made in India, Perma-sharps & Feather blades.
You could try the RazorBladeClub link here https://www.razorbladesclub.com/
They sell all blade types SE/DE or Artist blades in samplers or pick n mix, world wide postage for a few € and are based in Sweden.
Hope this helps

Redd

A Right Member
But the Astra SP is an old faithful. Any occasions where I'm going to do something afterwards and want to be confident of a good shave, I always use them.
This. I also don't mind Gillette Yellows & Platinums. They are however a lot more expensive than Astra's and that is an issue as I am only a traditional wet-shaver to save money, over catridges & gel.

Can't believe I wrote that with a straight face.:meh: