I suppose it's the collecting aspect that brings it more to the hobby category for me..I picked up some valet autostrops the other day for example. They're very cool.Shaving isn't a hobby. Being on a forum and talking with other nutters is the hobby. If you owned a De89, a soap and a brush that isn't a hobby. Spending hours on the internet talking about what you have just bought and why makes it a hobby

Nothing wrong with that mate. Great replyI suppose it's the collecting aspect that brings it more to the hobby category for me..I picked up some valet autostrops the other day for example. They're very cool.
So, I'll tell ya why I consider it a hobby Wayne, and of course I get it if ya still disagree. It's simply that I kill a lot of time learning, researching, buying and appreciating all manner of wetshaving stuff. I love the antique side of things, but I'm also fascinated by the way the engineering has developed. So, in my mind, investing time and money in something purely for enjoyment makes it a hobby.
But I'm willing to be wrong.![]()
I have one soap and one razor and try to discuss here what to buy next. Is that a hobby??Shaving isn't a hobby. Being on a forum and talking with other nutters is the hobby. If you owned a De89, a soap and a brush that isn't a hobby. Spending hours on the internet talking about what you have just bought and why makes it a hobby
I would think not. ImoI have one soap and one razor and try to discuss here what to buy next. Is that a hobby??
No but reading your posts is.I have one soap and one razor and try to discuss here what to buy next. Is that a hobby??
Yeah, but what can I discuss and quarrel about which soap is slicker, the moment I have used only Palmolive sticks and nothing else?No but reading your posts is.
I have to agree with you on that Jamie. When I dipped my toes into SR shaving all my mates were really interested in looking at the razors, holding them and marvelling at the fact I shaved with a straight. There is something magical about them for blokes. You just appear more 'Manly' because you can use one.Most people whom I know both Men and Women are interested in straight razors, they find it rather strangely interesting, I must admit it is all a little strange to most people, traditional shavers both DE & SE and straight razor users are very much a tiny minority it will never catch on we all do it because we enjoy the tools hardware it's very masculine.
It must be the danger element that enticesI have to agree with you on that Jamie. When I dipped my toes into SR shaving all my mates were really interested in looking at the razors, holding them and marvelling at the fact I shaved with a straight. There is something magical about them for blokes. You just appear more 'Manly' because you can use one.
Or just the fact that it’s ‘knives’ to themI have to agree with you on that Jamie. When I dipped my toes into SR shaving all my mates were really interested in looking at the razors, holding them and marvelling at the fact I shaved with a straight. There is something magical about them for blokes. You just appear more 'Manly' because you can use one.
Yes I had a similar experience with one of my friends using a baseplate upside down. It was partly my reason for creating the YouTube videos. Saved me the same explanation several times overI lent my Gamechanger to my friend,he fitted the blade in with the baseplate upside down and took a chunk out of his head, at least he's using a brush and decent soap now![]()
