Whats your mates think about your shaving interest ?

sojourners

Veteran
Shaving isn't a hobby. Being on a forum and talking with other nutters is the hobby. If you owned a De89, a soap and a brush that isn't a hobby. Spending hours on the internet talking about what you have just bought and why makes it a hobby
I suppose it's the collecting aspect that brings it more to the hobby category for me..I picked up some valet autostrops the other day for example. They're very cool.
So, I'll tell ya why I consider it a hobby Wayne, and of course I get it if ya still disagree. It's simply that I kill a lot of time learning, researching, buying and appreciating all manner of wetshaving stuff. I love the antique side of things, but I'm also fascinated by the way the engineering has developed. So, in my mind, investing time and money in something purely for enjoyment makes it a hobby.
But I'm willing to be wrong. :wink:
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I suppose it's the collecting aspect that brings it more to the hobby category for me..I picked up some valet autostrops the other day for example. They're very cool.
So, I'll tell ya why I consider it a hobby Wayne, and of course I get it if ya still disagree. It's simply that I kill a lot of time learning, researching, buying and appreciating all manner of wetshaving stuff. I love the antique side of things, but I'm also fascinated by the way the engineering has developed. So, in my mind, investing time and money in something purely for enjoyment makes it a hobby.
But I'm willing to be wrong. :wink:
Nothing wrong with that mate. Great reply
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Shaving isn't a hobby. Being on a forum and talking with other nutters is the hobby. If you owned a De89, a soap and a brush that isn't a hobby. Spending hours on the internet talking about what you have just bought and why makes it a hobby
I have one soap and one razor and try to discuss here what to buy next. Is that a hobby??
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
All people that know my hobby, just don't care. "It is just hairs man", "no need for fancy stuff". "A foam is all you need".

They think I'm lunatic and I certainly don't believe them.
I don't think I have so many products.
 

PineRockland

Well-Known Member
significant other: fine with it. Healthy obsession. Better than other interests. Face is smoother, healthier. Smell of soaps is fantastic.

Coworkers/friends: ranging from mild interest to “seems like a lot of trouble / I’m good with cartridge razors” to “my electric is so convenient.”

Existing friends and acquaintances when we identify ourselves as wet shavers: “I knew you were a gentleman and a scholar all along.”
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Most people whom I know both Men and Women are interested in straight razors, they find it rather strangely interesting, I must admit it is all a little strange to most people, traditional shavers both DE & SE and straight razor users are very much a tiny minority it will never catch on we all do it because we enjoy the tools hardware it's very masculine.
I have to agree with you on that Jamie. When I dipped my toes into SR shaving all my mates were really interested in looking at the razors, holding them and marvelling at the fact I shaved with a straight. There is something magical about them for blokes. You just appear more 'Manly' because you can use one.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
I have to agree with you on that Jamie. When I dipped my toes into SR shaving all my mates were really interested in looking at the razors, holding them and marvelling at the fact I shaved with a straight. There is something magical about them for blokes. You just appear more 'Manly' because you can use one.
It must be the danger element that entices
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I have to agree with you on that Jamie. When I dipped my toes into SR shaving all my mates were really interested in looking at the razors, holding them and marvelling at the fact I shaved with a straight. There is something magical about them for blokes. You just appear more 'Manly' because you can use one.
Or just the fact that it’s ‘knives’ to them
Mates think it’s a strange hobby and almost everyone I’ve tried to convert has stayed with carts.
The G/F thinks it’s weird but is happy that I’m not spending fortunes down the pub or the like and tbh it’s peanuts compared to other hobbies I’ve had/still have
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I lent my Gamechanger to my friend,he fitted the blade in with the baseplate upside down and took a chunk out of his head, at least he's using a brush and decent soap now😂
Yes I had a similar experience with one of my friends using a baseplate upside down. It was partly my reason for creating the YouTube videos. Saved me the same explanation several times over :)
 

Redbike

Guru
My mates fall into two groups, one includes those who don't get it, and the other group (fellow cigar and malt fans) are all wet shavers themselves. Amongst the latter group, shaving gear, technique and recounting an especially good shave for the enjoyment of all present is common currency.
 
Top