What triggers a soap purchase

what triggers a soap purchase

  • Fancy label

    Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Promise of better performance

    Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Scent strenth and type

    Votes: 30 66.7%
  • It's American so obviously better

    Votes: 3 6.7%

  • Total voters
    45

Dr Watson

James
Miles from Tabac performance for me. I've tried both this one and the Lavender. Far from standing ovations :(
Interesting Halvor, I found it pretty much the same. Had "American Blend" about 12 months ago, got plenty of experience with the old Tabac too... I can't explain why it was poor for you :(

Here's the official blurb, for clarity.

From the very beginnings of Fine Accoutrements, it was obvious that a soap offering was needed to fulfill the promise of a truly “Fine Shave”. However, given the impact that Fine Classic After Shave has had on the traditional wet shaving community, we felt a responsibility not to tarnish the brand by slapping the name on a product that wasn’t similarly remarkable. This has proven much more difficult with soap than it was with aftershave.

It’s easy to forget that “craft aftershave” barely existed (outside of bay rum) at the time Fine Accoutrements was launched 3 years ago. There were the big European brands, the drugstore American Brands, and precious little in between. There were certainly some products out there, but most had the feel of a soap-maker’s afterthought, and the beautiful glass flask bottles we made famous were nowhere to be found. In other words, the world was ripe for something new, and our updated take on Alt-Innsbruck was just lucky enough to hit the mark.

The competitive landscape of shaving soap in 2016 is a much different beast. The world is full of not just good, but great shaving soaps, many of which can even be had at reasonable prices. Creating a product worthy of distinction in such an environment is no easy task, but… we think we’ve done it!

From the beginning of our endeavor to create a dream shaving soap, we had a straight forward goal: the lather of Tabac, with the Fine scents. Little did I know how difficult such a thing is to achieve. We talked to every large American Soap maker in an attempt to duplicate the Tabac experience, but to no avail. We even paid one $3,000 in an attempt to reverse engineer the ingredient list, but after 46 different attempts, the exercise proved to be nothing more than time and money down the drain. It became clear that something was lost in soap manufacturing while coming to the new world (at least when it comes to shaving).

As frustrating, time consuming, and expensive as that experience was, it also marked the turning point in our endeavor, because we finally got the idea to just start calling around Europe. It was this decision that led to a moment, months later, where we received a sample of a soap base with a lather and ingredient list (ex- fragrance components) identical to Tabac! It was love at first lather, and we soon struck an exclusive agreement with the single manufacturer that had access to this soap, and could produce it in appropriate volumes, to utilize it for Fine Classic Shaving Soap.

Although we could not obtain official confirmation that the soap base I had discovered is the same as used in Tabac, we have little reason to suspect otherwise. Regardless, even if we're wrong, I’m still happy to bring to market a triple-milled, tallow-based soap with lather remarkably similar to Tabac. But if we're right, wet shavers will now have access to what amounts to the first new scent(s) of Tabac since Sir Irish Moos!

Made in The Netherlands, Fine American Blend Soap is now available. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
 
Last edited:

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Interesting Halvor, I found it pretty much the same. Had "American Blend" about 12 months ago, got plenty of experience with the old Tabac too... I can't explain why it was poor for you :(

Here's the official blurb, for clarity.
That blurb has me convinced it's worth a try.

You guys are terrible..
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
Don't hate me if you get it and agree with Halvor 😬😅
Between the two of us we probably have him covered; he can't blame the advice on ATG regardless of how it performs now 😅

For the record, Tabac seems a much creamier soap both actual soap and when lathered up, while Fine's are a lot harder and less opaque (for lack of better description). To me anyway.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Interesting Halvor, I found it pretty much the same. Had "American Blend" about 12 months ago, got plenty of experience with the old Tabac too... I can't explain why it was poor for you :(

Here's the official blurb, for clarity.
Tabac Ingredients:
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Cl 77891, Isoeugenol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Benzyl Alcohol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol.

Fine Ingredients:
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Fragrance, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerine, Benzyl salicylate, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Potassium Hydroxide, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Citronellol, Sodium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Citral, Eugenol


It is almost impossible to be a different base from Tabac. They lather the same, although Fine is harder than Tabac.

Blooming it for 5-7 minutes and it behaves like a soft cream.

Fine for me behaves even better than Tabac with a scent 100 levels above.

I have the Sandal Absolut.
@Wayne L'Orange Noir from Fine is a Terre D'Hermes clone. Check it.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Watson

James
Tabac's a funny one. I find most blokes (not on forums, those that I've asked in real life) actually like the scent with most saying it just smells "clean" which is in direct contrast to women's response:



The only female I've known to like it has a German father so make of that what you will :D
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Tabac's a funny one. I find most blokes (not on forums, those that I've asked in real life) actually like the scent with most saying it just smells "clean" which is in direct contrast to women's response:



The only female I've known to like it has a German father so make of that what you will :D
What? @Wayne is a bot then?? 😄
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I'm sure like most other people I have enough soap to last for many years but still find myself considering buying more mainly for boredom.

My tastes in soaps are probably a lot simpler than many here as I'm not a fan of really strongly scented soaps (most soaps with scents make my face burn) or ones that are too moisturizing, as my skin's quite oily at the best of times.

I've not bought a new shaving soap in a year but I might get another soon, which is most likely to be the Speick shaving stick as I enjoyed using a sample, the scent is nice, the performance is great and most importantly it doesn't make my face burn!
 

Dodgy vu

Forum GOD!
I was wondering what triggers a purchase of soap for most shavers.
What's doin Wayne,

I guess now when it comes to acquiring soaps/creams, a couple boxes gotta be checked off first. Let me start with by saying an excellent motivation in my head is fear of extinction. Might stop being made and then suddenly not around from vendors. This has occurred more than once with some serious scrounging by me to find any back ups.

Or, the infamous reformulations that can happen to a previously fine product, even some expensive ones. So now I do pay attention to the ingredients.....definitely. So, seeing a 'vintage' soap/cream at the right price can certainly affect my button hitting finger.

Heh, also it doesn't hurt to see a favorite being on sale and grabbing a few for Armageddon, which may be soon in Yankeetown USA. Matter of fact I did that kinda thing just recently. The purchase I mean.

Main driving force for me though is running out of something hard to find. Non buyers remorse can be relentless...heh.

Martin
 
Top