Turntable and HiFi

D

Deleted member 30

I build valve amps and preamps myself. I just use vintage directly-heated valves like 26, 10Y, 4P1L, 01A, 2a3, 300B because they have a unique clarity and tone. Here's some pics of amps I'm making for friends... You can't easily buy amps using all directly-heated valves like this - if you like the sound so much that nothing else will do, you have to make them!

View attachment 46599 View attachment 46600
I'm itching to have a go at making myself a tube amp.

Have been looking at making a modified version of the single ended KT88 Tube amplifier by Mikael Abdellah's.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Schematics/Mikael-Abdellah-SE-KT88-Amplifier.htm

I was thinking to make a solid state bridge rectifier in place of a tube rectifier, and increase the size of the OPT's.

@les24preludes What do you use Andy for the Power Supply on your builds, tube rectifier or solid state bridge rectifier?

There is a great video tutorial build by Mark over at Blueglow Electronics who builds an updated version of the same amp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne

Forum Sod
Hi Gents
I'm in the middle of a house re vamp and now have started on my once Dining Room. It did always house my Hi-fi and lots of DJ record boxes for my 7" vinyl collection. Finally going from Beige and Brown a la' 1980's to a more modern Black, Grey colour scheme.
I'm excited for the change but my pride of place goes to my Linn Sondek. Unfortunately it is in the classic Afromosia Teak colour, complete with fluted sides. It just sticks out like a Blind Cobblers Thumb. What to do with it though? A new Plinth is around £550/£1000 depending on who's you buy and in what finish, then there is the dismantle of the deck and fitting the new Plinth plus associated re set of the Linn. I'm heading for a hefty bill. I could buy a cheaper deck but the Linn was a boyhood dream for me as a skint 16 yr old, I always wanted one and grafted to get one.
If I painted it, I'm entering a World of pain, devaluing it and possibly ruining it due to the finish on the wood. It may react and not take. No painting is out.
A few years ago I Vinyl wrapped my speakers with great success.
Quality automotive vinyl is great stuff, it doesn't bubble and it is just sticky enough to stay put but can still be peeled off without causing damage, anyway, I'll be dead before I change my deck so it's only a problem if I am diagnosed with something nasty then I'll frantically sell everything I have in order to fund a massive hedonistic lifestyle until I croak.
If you haven't nodded off, which is a distinct possibility then here she is, vinyl wrapped in a matching satin Black vinyl. I think it looks O.K. Hope you Guys agree?
55F9FE9C-650E-4CB0-91CB-8850EF899E6A.jpeg
AE700643-4466-40A2-9797-C38D1EB6A1CE.jpeg
9A6FB8B8-0A4E-4D28-92D2-3311FFC83A19.jpeg

Driftwood

Forum GOD!
Hi Gents
I'm in the middle of a house re vamp and now have started on my once Dining Room. It did always house my Hi-fi and lots of DJ record boxes for my 7" vinyl collection. Finally going from Beige and Brown a la' 1980's to a more modern Black, Grey colour scheme.
I'm excited for the change but my pride of place goes to my Linn Sondek. Unfortunately it is in the classic Afromosia Teak colour, complete with fluted sides. It just sticks out like a Blind Cobblers Thumb. What to do with it though? A new Plinth is around £550/£1000 depending on who's you buy and in what finish, then there is the dismantle of the deck and fitting the new Plinth plus associated re set of the Linn. I'm heading for a hefty bill. I could buy a cheaper deck but the Linn was a boyhood dream for me as a skint 16 yr old, I always wanted one and grafted to get one.
If I painted it, I'm entering a World of pain, devaluing it and possibly ruining it due to the finish on the wood. It may react and not take. No painting is out.
A few years ago I Vinyl wrapped my speakers with great success.
Quality automotive vinyl is great stuff, it doesn't bubble and it is just sticky enough to stay put but can still be peeled off without causing damage, anyway, I'll be dead before I change my deck so it's only a problem if I am diagnosed with something nasty then I'll frantically sell everything I have in order to fund a massive hedonistic lifestyle until I croak.
If you haven't nodded off, which is a distinct possibility then here she is, vinyl wrapped in a matching satin Black vinyl. I think it looks O.K. Hope you Guys agree?
View attachment 100761View attachment 100762View attachment 100763
A great job fella and it matches perfectly with turntable, a transformation

p.b

Forum GOD!
Superb idea. From the pictures it looks excellent, just like a black ash plinth. Plus the domestic harmony will make it sound even better.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I’m about as far from a Linn fanboy as you can get although I did own a Basik turntable many years ago but a LP12 is just a classy and very special turntable.
Great work.