Thayers Witchhazel?

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Do us southerners have a bit of yorkshire in us or is it that the yorkshire lasses like a bit of southerner in them? Mmm.. Any way , I am with Wayne on this one. Go to boots - significantly less pence.
Have you tried both and compared them? If not then you are recommending a product based on your single experience and, as you know, a sample of one is statistically negligible. A bottle of Thayers aftershave lasts me about a year so at roughly £6 I’m paying about £3 more than Boots version. I spill more beer than that on a Friday night.

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
Personally I would not bother with Boots as Thayer is far better. I’ve tried Thayer with alcohol and also the specific Thayers after shave which has a higher alcohol content. I’ve never bothered with the non alcohol version as I find you need alcohol in order for it to act as an astringent. Of the two alcoholic versions I’ve settled on the aftershave. Ignore the naysayers on here who claim that it’s not worth the expense - cost per use is fractions of pence.
Witch hazel is acting as the astringent, not necessarily the alcohol (which is why Boot's own also works in this regard).
Thayers is a mixture with witch hazel. This should highlight it's 'efficacy' as not much is needed for the soothing, astringent effects. The inclusion of glycerin in Thayers will also help will skin feel as a humectant keeps water towards the skin, and therefore hydrated.
I'm yet to come across an alcoholic Thayers so would be interested in which one you're using!*

*Edit: Nevermind, I've found it. Yes the alcohol will exacerbate the astringent properties, but it's not absolutely reliant on the alcohol content.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Witch hazel is acting as the astringent, not necessarily the alcohol (which is why Boot's own also works in this regard).
Thayers is a mixture with witch hazel. This should highlight it's 'efficacy' as not much is needed for the soothing, astringent effects. The inclusion of glycerin in Thayers will also help will skin feel as a humectant keeps water towards the skin, and therefore hydrated.
I'm yet to come across an alcoholic Thayers so would be interested in which one you're using!*

*Edit: Nevermind, I've found it. Yes the alcohol will exacerbate the astringent properties, but it's not absolutely reliant on the alcohol content.
Both Thayers and Humphrey’s class their non alcohol products as toners - its only when alcohol is added that they are classed as astringents.

It appears that the higher alcohol content marketed as an after shave by Thayers has been discontinued.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Thayers - Original witch Hazel Astringent available at Vitamin Grocer UK along with the alcohol free toners from Thayers. :) P.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
May add - if you already have a shaving regime that works for you then witch hazel is something that you do not need any way. Good prep - efficient shave with good gear = no need for the astringent. I run an alum over my face post shave. Why? I suppose to see how my face has reacted to the shave set up - not to heal me necessarily . I also have OCD shaving routine syndrome - which I guess many of you will understand. . I get a touch here and there or sensitivity. . If I do, then I still do not see the need for the hazel. Hazel was good for me when I did not have the touch with the shave. Splash all over and job done. Also , yes I admit, , habit. Sorry guys - Thayers is nice but well over priced and unnecessary . I bet they love these forums so they can keep it going. . Get the shave right and do away with the 'need' - otherwise - Boots gear is great AND cheap IF you need to go down that road.

Last edited:

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
May add - if you already have a shaving regime that works for you then witch hazel is something that you do not need any way. Good prep - efficient shave with good gear = no need for the astringent. I run an alum over my face post shave. Why? I suppose to see how my face has reacted to the shave set up . Also OCD shaving routine. I get a touch here and there. If I do, then I still do not see the need for the hazel. Hazel was good for me when I did not have the touch with the shave. Splash all over and job done. Also , yes I admit, , habit. Sorry guys - Thayers is nice but well over priced and unnecessary . I bet they love these forums so they can keep it going. . Get the sdhave right and do away with the 'need' - otherwise - Boots gear is great AND cheap.
We must all use what we feel is right for us and our skin type wouldn't you agree. :) P.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
May add - if you already have a shaving regime that works for you then witch hazel is something that you do not need any way. Good prep - efficient shave with good gear = no need for the astringent. I run an alum over my face post shave. Why? I suppose to see how my face has reacted to the shave set up - not to heal me necessarily . I also have OCD shaving routine syndrome - which I guess many of you will understand. . I get a touch here and there or sensitivity. . If I do, then I still do not see the need for the hazel. Hazel was good for me when I did not have the touch with the shave. Splash all over and job done. Also , yes I admit, , habit. Sorry guys - Thayers is nice but well over priced and unnecessary . I bet they love these forums so they can keep it going. . Get the shave right and do away with the 'need' - otherwise - Boots gear is great AND cheap IF you need to go down that road.
I’ll make the point yet again - any advice based on personal experience is based on a sample of one because we all have only one face. Only when you get a lot of positive reviews can you claim a consensus and both alum and witch hazel astringent have many advocates. Using an alum block has much the same affect as any other astringent and you are entitled to state your personal preference. However to go on and say that Thayers is overpriced and unnecessary is not justified. Thayers works for me and I use it in preference to an alum block but I would never say that alum is unnecessary.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
I’ll make the point yet again - any advice based on personal experience is based on a sample of one because we all have only one face. Only when you get a lot of positive reviews can you claim a consensus and both alum and witch hazel astringent have many advocates. Using an alum block has much the same affect as any other astringent and you are entitled to state your personal preference. However to go on and say that Thayers is overpriced and unnecessary is not justified. Thayers works for me and I use it in preference to an alum block but I would never say that alum is unnecessary.
I fully take your point. Each to their own as they say and yes, the point I make IS my point. . Get a bottle of witch hazel though and stick some smellies in it or a dab of 'Hello Vera' and compare that to buying pure unadulterated WH in the UK at £1.00 for 100ml. Less is more on the skin but again, only my opinion. I appreciate also that Thayers is cheaper across the pond and we have to pay accordingly in the UK but FOR ME it remains both overpriced and unnecessary. YMM ( of course ) V. :D

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I fully take your point. Each to their own as they say and yes, the point I make IS my point. . Get a bottle of witch hazel though and stick some smellies in it or a dab of 'Hello Vera' and compare that to buying pure unadulterated WH in the UK at £1.00 for 100ml. Less is more on the skin but again, only my opinion. I appreciate also that Thayers is cheaper across the pond and we have to pay accordingly in the UK but FOR ME it remains both overpriced and unnecessary. YMM ( of course ) V. :D
So you ‘fully take my point’ and then totally disregard it. If you took a second to click on my name you would realise I’m not ‘over the pond’ - I live I Lichfield Staffordshire. Tell me this - where can you buy a Witch Hazel formula in the UK that contains alcohol? That is the only comparable product with Thayers astringent - anything else is just a diluted solution with some form of witch hazel - or tea tree or some other kind of shite. Do me a favour and do some research before you reply.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
So you ‘fully take my point’ and then totally disregard it. If you took a second to click on my name you would realise I’m not ‘over the pond’ - I live I Lichfield Staffordshire. Tell me this - where can you buy a Witch Hazel formula in the UK that contains alcohol? That is the only comparable product with Thayers astringent - anything else is just a diluted solution with some form of witch hazel - or tea tree or some other kind of shite. Do me a favour and do some research before you reply.
Bit unnecessary ( yes that word again ). Why would I click on your name? Is the clue not in the name? Where did I say that YOU were from over the pond? I was merely stating that here in the uk we have to pay somewhat more for Thayers. Suggest YOU get your facts right before accusing others. Enough said on this matter I think.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Bit unnecessary ( yes that word again ). Why would I click on your name? Is the clue not in the name? Where did I say that YOU were from over the pond? I was merely stating that here in the uk we have to pay somewhat more for Thayers. Suggest YOU get your facts right before accusing others. Enough said on this matter I think.
The whole point of your post was that Boots witch hazel was as good as Thayers and is significantly cheaper - it’s not comparable - you are comparing apples to pears. Re-read my post and answer the question if you can. Alternatively, don’t bother and accept enough said.

D

Deleted member 1881

Give me a website pals for Thayers or whatever with reasonable shipping for one bottle of witch hazel. I have one small bottle but contains only one ingredient; the virgiana hamamelis, nothing else.

I would like something more loaded with ingredients for my delicate sensitive skin. Hehe

LewisW

I’ve tried Thayers and other scented witch hazel’s through the years but I still use regular plain witch hazel from Walgreens. It’s the same thing just not scented.