Show off your cars

Vacumatic

Testy
That brings back memories too. When we lived in HK in the mid-60s and early 70s I had an MGB. I worked in Central District and we lived on Victoria Peak near the tram. The daily drive up and down the Peak was fun, but it could be very foggy, which made it a challenge. Fog at night on the Peak could be very heavy indeed and the only things that made it drivable were the “cat‘s eyes” (reflective studs) along the centre of the road. I was young and foolish then and regarded driving in the heavy fog at night at the top of The Peak to be a challenge rather than a danger; not sure I’d be so cocky about it today. I also enjoyed the drives on the weekend out to Shek O Club, Repulse Bay, Big Wave Bay, etc for which my MGB and its manual transmission were ideally suited and loads of fun. The only drawback with the MGB was its lack of air conditioning, other than lowering the roof, which made for hot and sweaty driving in the summer, especially sitting on the leather seats. Mind you our house on the Peak wasn’t air conditioned either, relying instead on room dehumidifiers and the natural flow of air, which the house was designed to maximize. We were a lot more resilient in those days.:D
Yes, it is not so much the value of these items, it is the idea that they will live on after we are gone, in idle moments I am tempted to label my fountain pens with a note such as, 'this is a Montblanc Hemingway, send it to Eric W******' or 'these are a set of Bentley stamped Whitworth scanners, find a good home for them.'

Apologies to all for our Hong Kong memories, RD and I lived in the territory at very similar times and our companies, Jardines and Deacons, even did business together, it is not often that I have the opportunity to reminisce. One memory is that at the end of a week long construction conference in Singapore I was in kissed passionately by a pretty Chinese woman who had mistaken me for a partner at Deacons, with the comment from her 'thank you, you have made my week worthwhile.'.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2936

You would think wouldn't you?
Even some Tesla owners are thick...
View attachment 111366

However, Tesla have some history of being cavalier with letting customers beta check their updates so maybe something hadn't been tested thoroughly...
well the guy i got chatting to who has the tesla, i was like this is more of a local driving car as opposed to long distances due to its battery range and he told me that the good thing about the tesla is that if you go on a long journey it shows on the sat nav/display where basically this shows you charging points,
i suppose thats a bit like points of interest on a generic sat nav

D

Deleted member 2936

It doesn’t get boring driving nice cars mate
i wouldn’t thank you for a manual car
yea i get what you mean, tbh im not really into cars, something half decent and its all good

i seen the audi a3 electric version, do the bigger audis come in electric too?

D

Deleted member 2936

Nothing beats the thrill and enjoyment of driving a car with a manual transmission on a winding road on a sunny day. “Floppy paddle shifters”, per Jeremy Clarkson, just don’t cut it. A car with an automatic transmission is like a point and shoot camera or a synthetic shaving brush, it has no heart.
talking about jeremy clarkson this is one of the best top gear challenges ive loved

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W8J8cycHTQ&ab_channel=RearWheelDriven

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhlAHW17Zlw&ab_channel=RearWheelDriven

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMz_5YDpXh0&ab_channel=RearWheelDriven

this youtuber i follow did the same challenge on one tank too lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGeLmX_EOMQ&t=19s&ab_channel=It%27sJoel

D

Deleted member 2936

Just the Etron as far as i know
which i quite like especially the GT Model
yea looks nice

theres a volvo thats around the corner from me think a newer shape xc90, he's always got in on charge, so it would be annoying i suppose if you always have to plug it in, but obviously bigger range you want the bigger battery youll need

i did look at the mitsibushi outlander phev, like the fact that its got the 4x4 ability with electric efficiency

the new range rover at whatever crazy weight it is with seven seats comes in electric,
no idea what the efficiency is like though

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yAD0p3lWQ&ab_channel=TopGear

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I don’t like Jeremy Clarkson & i live in Scotland
we don’t get nice sunny days
My family’s from Aberdeen. On several occasions when I’m visiting we’ve had nice sunny days; perhaps I remember them because they are few and far between. As for Clarkson, he’s a buffoon, but every so often he comes up with a funny quip.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I have had to bid a reluctant farewell to the Land Rover after it fell victim to terminal sub-frame corrosion. :(

I'm now driving a white 2013 Focus 1.6 TDi, I don't have a photo of it but it's a Focus, so you know what it looks like. :D It is the very definition of mid-sized family hatchback workhorse, but after living with it for a few months I can see why they're so popular; it's nice to drive, comfortable, I'm getting nearly 60mpg and the road tax is £20 per year. £20! That's almost free! Sure, it's not going to be as much fun through the Cairngorms as my BMW 330 was, but I only did that once, most of the time it's 50mph schlepping to work and back.

The plan is to keep the Focus until it's no longer economically viable and hopefully get a good few years of low-cost motoring out of it.