September 2020 Aquisitions

vartik

Head shaver
Coming from a total novice, how easy is it to put these into handles yourself? These knots are such a good price, thinking if buying these and then buying handles separately.
If you have new and empty handle, then I would say it is easy. You just need to buy epoxy glue or silicone, maybe some plastic washers for height adjustment and watch a vid or two on youtube (some good tips there). If you have a complete brush that you want to reknot, then it's harder. You will propably need a dremel if you want to make it precisely.
 

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
If you have new and empty handle, then I would say it is easy. You just need to buy epoxy glue or silicone, maybe some plastic washers for height adjustment and watch a vid or two on youtube (some good tips there). If you have a complete brush that you want to reknot, then it's harder. You will propably need a dremel if you want to make it precisely.
Just to add in some cases you can remove the old knot by steam or some easier ones very hot water. Shavemac and many artisans do handles only , I have a handle from Shavemac on the way for the 28mm knots. I like to set them temporarily and play with the height a little.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Just to add in some cases you can remove the old knot by steam or some easier ones very hot water. Shavemac and many artisans do handles only , I have a handle from Shavemac on the way for the 28mm knots. I like to set them temporarily and play with the height a little.
Think I don't trust myself to do a good job. I was thinking exactly that, buying a couple of Shavemac handles. Shavemac handles are nice, but the synthetic knots don't look great compared to the synbad.
 

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
Think I don't trust myself to do a good job. I was thinking exactly that, buying a couple of Shavemac handles. Shavemac handles are nice, but the synthetic knots don't look great compared to the synbad.
If you are starting with handles that are already empty then it is pretty simple.
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Think I don't trust myself to do a good job. I was thinking exactly that, buying a couple of Shavemac handles. Shavemac handles are nice, but the synthetic knots don't look great compared to the synbad.
Warning rabbit hole.

Just repeating what I read somewhere. APshave does good knots. When ordering WITH a handle they should be easy enough to take out as they are probably glued in with silicone (twist and pull). You could contact them directly and discuss this.
 

CobraX

Forum GOD!
For me, the Sego base could be the best soap base I've ever tried, so based on performance only Sego beats B&M, but I agree on scents, jars and labels. B&M is much better than Zingari Man on those things. The best B&M base is (for me) Soft Heart Series followed by the Reserve base which I think i slightly better than Excelsior.
Sego is amazingly good for my dry skin and the scents are very mild. And, the alcohol free splash and the Sego balm is among the best, if not the best, post shave Products I've ever used.

Anyway, it's like choosing between a BMW and a Mercedes :)
Haven't tried the Soft Heart Series yet, but I've heard great things about it. I do agree that purely based on performance the Reserve base beats the Excelsior base (just like the Reserve splashes are better than the Deltus splashes). The disadvantage that the Reserve base has though, is that it's quite finicky to use. I don't have dry skin, so I'm lucky in that regard. I've only tried the non-Sego balm and that one is easily absorbed by the skin, but when I use it right after a shave, there's this slight tingling/burning sensation which Stirling and Barrister and Mann balms don't have. I'm still thinking about trying the Zingari Man unscented aftershave splash at some point. Regarding scent strength, it really depends on the scent itself in my opinion. Some scents are mild (e.g. The Navigator) while others are quite strong (e.g. The Explorer, The Socialite).
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Coming from a total novice, how easy is it to put these into handles yourself? These knots are such a good price, thinking if buying these and then buying handles separately.
If you have the right tools and are happy to have a go it isn't difficult. You do need a dremmel type tool and a dremmel cutting bit for safe removal of the old knot. The variable speed is great as it allows for safe cutting without damaging the handle.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Warning rabbit hole.

Just repeating what I read somewhere. APshave does good knots. When ordering WITH a handle they should be easy enough to take out as they are probably glued in with silicone (twist and pull). You could contact them directly and discuss this.
I'll probably order without handle, then give from there, I do like the look of the synbad knot, 26 and 28mm.
 

Boycie83

Space Cadet
What a way to end the month:
  • A Mongoose Razors Mingoose all the way from the US of A
  • A Leaf razor
  • The new scent from that Italian company whose name is too long for me to remember... something Milano something...
  • Gron Lycka Troll soap
  • Dscosmetics T4 synthetics - initial impressions are poor. Glue bump is way too high. Will need to see if this relaxes a little in use
IMG_20200930_130647.jpg
 
Top