Recommend a razor, soap and brush for a beginner

Dr Watson

James
I remember very well the feeling of confusion when I started my journey. So many brands, products and acronyms get bandied about that unless you spend days (weeks?) researching to bring yourself up to speed you become overwhelmed and switch off. It's so much easier to find a Youtube personality you think seems a good egg and follow their recommendations, which is pretty much what I did... Nick shaves specifically.

Most people just want to dip a toe in the shallow end and see if they like it but still want quality tools which enrich the experience compared to cartridge/goo shaving, with this in mind I think recommendations needn't be too exotic... In fact the simpler the better! Something like this:

Pick a German razor you like the look of, Muehle R89 or Merkur 34c (Grande or 38c if you require a long handle as some coming from carts do.)
Pick a sub £20 brush, any Razorock synthetic or Omega boar depending on hair preference.
Buy a tub of TOBS cream, whichever flavour tickles your pickle.

Add a bottle of witch hazel and couple packs of Astra blades and you are all set to learn in style, quality and comfort.
 
Last edited:

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Some very good value options on BST Wayne. Especially the SOC badger brush with free boar and you could pair it with the Merkur 23 + Synthetic brush.
Well - it is worth a nudge. :D
 
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Maca Root Shave Cream
Wilkinson Classic Black Razor
Derby Extra Stainless
Proraso Aloe Vera & Vitamin E
Yaqi Tuxedo Brush
 

Steve

Boomer Member
Pils razor with a Semogue Taj brush and an easy lathering soap like Tobs Sandlewood
And after you've spent the £500 on this gear, what if the recipient doesn't take to wet shaving? Play it safe: EJ89, Muhle synth, Tabac. What could possibly go wrong? (I'm inviting the outlandish).
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
And after you've spent the £500 on this gear, what if the recipient doesn't take to wet shaving? Play it safe: EJ89, Muhle synth, Tabac. What could possibly go wrong? (I'm inviting the outlandish).
I may just use my DE89 tomorrow after a long break. My expensive razors are trembling in fear.
 

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
And after you've spent the £500 on this gear, what if the recipient doesn't take to wet shaving? Play it safe: EJ89, Muhle synth, Tabac. What could possibly go wrong? (I'm inviting the outlandish).
£500 Where do you shop Steve lol ,Pils on here yesterday at 90 will get that back on a resale , 20 or so for Tobs and 50 or so for brush?Plus it did say unlimited budget
 

slapo

It's... alive!
Razor: Depending on shave frequency, any of Baili BD176/BD179/BD279L (or a rebrand), a Parker 24C or the FaTip Piccolo Special Edition.
Brush: Frank Shaving 28mm
Blades: Astra SP

Razor choices - the Bailis all Tech clones and shave like the Tech I have, too. The Parker is mild like the Bailis, but more efficient and versatile (more expensive, though). The FaTip uses the most durable materials. They are all relatively inexpensive, but well made (the Bailis more so than the Parker, IMO), can be used daily without issues. For people who require a rigid clamp and don't yet know about it, all those I listed are a better choice than a Merkur/EJ/Muhle style closed comb.
Brush choice - pleasant knot, somewhat large, yet still easy to clean, and the handle affords an easy and secure grip.
Blade choice - pleasant blades with a very good price/performance ratio.
 

Goatywoaty

Regular Member
I'd get a Yaqi synthetic brush - cheap but very very good, I used to like badger brushes but these synthetic brushes are superb and don't need breaking in, easier to care for etc, don't stink. I won't need to buy another brush for a very long time, wish i'd got one at the start instead of wasting money on daft badger brushes.

A simple Gillette Tech can be picked up for peanuts and receives universal praise, definitely a great start for DE shaving. I spend a fortune on nice vintage blades, but the razor I use is just a bogstandard Tech! It's mild, but don't mistake that for not giving you a perfect shave. You don't achieve the best shave just by getting a close shave on the first pass, it's a combination of passes. The last ATG pass with a tech is a brilliant BBS which doesn't result in irritation for me unlike with other more agressive razors.

There are loads of amazing soaps, but to list just a couple, i'll say Tabac and TOBS shaving cream - both have a very silky protective lather.

That would be a fab start!
 

Steve

Boomer Member
£500 Where do you shop Steve lol ,Pils on here yesterday at 90 will get that back on a resale , 20 or so for Tobs and 50 or so for brush?Plus it did say unlimited budget
The last I checked on the Pils website, the razor was £225, the stand was £125, so, £350+£70 for software. Yep. Pretty close to £500. If you base your predictions on purchasing at rock-bottom BST prices, you'll lose. Best to assume you're going to pay full freight.
 

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
The last I checked on the Pils website, the razor was £225, the stand was £125, so, £350+£70 for software. Yep. Pretty close to £500. If you base your predictions on purchasing at rock-bottom BST prices, you'll lose. Best to assume you're going to pay full freight.
Yep I see your point Steve Although must admit I'd leave the stand ,Guess if your willing to pay big money in this game you tend to get a chunk of it back with selling hardware ,Was thinking a Pils will last a lifetime I know mine will but Gillette Tech has stood the test of time ,If funds was truly unlimited I'd go with the Pils though
 
Top