Things are taking their course... eventually. Admittedly the response to emails is a tiny bit variable. I suppose there are a couple of things to bear in mind - there is a bit of a language thing and you're never quite sure that you've made your self clear in what you're saying.....you send an email and may, or may not, get a reply - or if you do they haven't addressed the particular point you raised or haven't confirmed that they've understood what you're trying to say.
A certain amount of time has, admittedly, passed, but, as of yesterday, I've had it confirmed that Bernd will use a new blank handle and fit a new knot in it. This is subsequent to my suggestion that (a) I don't have to send my old brush back again... and (b) he starts from scratch but, as is mutually agreed, he doesn't, or cannot, for whatever reason, inscribe it with the original "Limited Edition inscription / issue number" etc. This will save me posting back and save him from having to drill the old knot out.
So, in the scheme of things, it's not the end of the world and he has, ultimately, been good enough to provide a proper fix to the problem. I can easily live without the inscription on the base of the brush and, who knows, maybe if I keep on using the old brush it might even either stop it's moulting, or, run out of hairs and just leave the handle with nothing in it ?