random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

  • Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
anyone use those self stropping razors like the rolls razor these days?

What are they like? Any good?

Always been intrigued by these tbh
 

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
anyone use those self stropping razors like the rolls razor these days?

What are they like? Any good?

Always been intrigued by these tbh
I enjoy mine, I have 3 fully usable sets.
Make sure you check photos to ensure the hone and strop are in good serviceable order.
26/05/21
Vintage Wednesday
Pre: Shower, Cold water Face wash
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap
Razor: Rolls Razor (1936)
Blade: Rolls Razor (1936)
Post shave: Alum, Cold water splash ,TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Bart's Balm Lime Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Williams Musk
View attachment 92843
15/09/21
SEptember
Pre - Shower
Brush - Jayaruh #291 Synthetic Knot
Soap - Signature Soap Leodis
Razor - Rolls Razor Aluminium cased Imp #2
Blade - Rolls Razor '49 / '52
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Barts Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine Balm & Lotion
A/S - Pinaud Gents Gin

View attachment 100504
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
I enjoy mine, I have 3 fully usable sets.
Make sure you check photos to ensure the hone and strop are in good serviceable order.
such cool razors, did you get yours with everything working as it should?

I love the concept tbh, I seen a nos one, have been tempted Im not sure it's worth what they're asking for tbh
 

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
I adopted a couple from forum members for a very reasonable price and then stripped & reconditioned a set myself. I have also been experimenting with blade honing which is coming along well. They are amazing pieces of kit.
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
I adopted a couple from forum members for a very reasonable price and then stripped & reconditioned a set myself. I have also been experimenting with blade honing which is coming along well. They are amazing pieces of kit.
What sort of experimenting? Sounds intriguing

You got or tried the wilkinson sword 7 day set?

I've got a sudden urge to get these razors lol 👀
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
follow on question, what's considered to be the best stropping safety razors out there? The rolls razor or wilkinson 7 day set?

Btw are there more out there?

I don't really know of any others tbh
 

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
What sort of experimenting? Sounds intriguing

You got or tried the wilkinson sword 7 day set?

I've got a sudden urge to get these razors lol 👀
And a Usable Empire,

The experimenting is just learning best way to hone the blades out of the razor.
The 7 day sets can use a modified GEM blade if the old blades are not sharp.

14/10/21
Pre - Pears Transparent Original Cold water Face wash
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2
Soap - OSP Spirits
Razor - Wilkinson Sword Empire 7 day set
Blade - "Thursday"
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Barts Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine Balm & Lotion
A/S - CK Be

View attachment 102337
A very enjoyable 3 pass shave, the blade being very smooth throughout. This is my earliest adjustable razor and works a treat.
Before the shave i had taped the blade to a thin dowel to paddle strop it, i think this would also work for honing when i need to get around to it, it seemed much easier than "hand rolling" the blade.
Anyway, big smiles all round and a wonderful comfortable DFS++ finish

Stay safe and enjoy your day All
 
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
Sometimes I do a singular WTG shave but it always seems like I'm being a bit of a fraudster ... I should be doing at leat two passes otherwise I may as well be using a multi-blade cartridge affair. I'll probably end up with a Bellamy beard anyway. :thumbsup:
i need to learn how to do just WTG and stop, i find it hard to stop when i run my hands on my head and i feel hair ATG lol
 
Top