Question on Rockwell plates from a new DE user

Mike M CT

Active Member
I got my 6S a couple of weeks ago and so far have moved from R1 to R2 to now R3. I like R3 but am tempted to keep moving up until I don’t like it.

On the card that came with the razor Rockwell has plate descriptions that make it seem like you just move higher based on how long or thick your hair is. Shaving every day vs after 5 days for example.

When I read the forums here I keep hearing about more aggressive as you move to higher plate numbers. This may sound dumb, but what makes it more aggressive to be able to cut larger stubble? Are the blade angles different too, or is it just how big the gap is but you still have the same edge on R1 that you do with R6? I guess asked another way do you get a closer shave with a higher plate versus a lower plate, or is it just based on how easily you can tackle longer growth?

I was comparing the Rockwell plates to the Yates 921 and Merica that I almost got, and both of those razors look to have a blade gap that is similar to the R4 plate (or a little more than the R3 for Merica). I keep thinking about those as well when trying plates.

thanks!
Mike
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
It‘s not just the gap, but also the exposure that affects the shave. All other things being equal, an increase in the blade gap will always lead to an increase in blade exposure. BTW, if you imagine a line going from the end of the baseplate to the end of the top cap, exposure is the amount that the blade protrudes beyond this line.

I have been using aggressive razors for quite some time now and still have very, very good results with plates 3 & 4 with a Rockwell. I shave 365 days a year. Honestly, I think you will have difficulty finding a better shaving razor.
 

Mike M CT

Active Member
Ok - that makes complete sense. I assumed the edge just went along that imaginary line on all of the plates. Now I understand the “feeling more blade” comments that I’ve seen around here, and it makes more sense as to why the higher number plates could give you a closer shave.

Thank you!!!
Mike
 
Last edited:

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
For me it’s all to do with mood.
Sometimes i want mild & sometimes i want more aggression.
What i never do is change the plate’s between passes
( i know some do )
but it’s not for me.
Normally i stick with R4 but this is a reminder i need to try 6 again
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Ok - that makes complete sense. I assumed the edge just went along that imaginary line on all of the plates. Now I understand the “feeling more blade” comments that I’ve seen around here, and it makes more sense as to why the higher number plates could give you a closer shave.

Thank you!!!
Mike
You're likely to be right when it comes to the plates on the Rockwell, but you can't compare blade gap from one razor to another and expect meaningful results. As @Ventastic mentioned, it's just one piece of the puzzle.
 

Mike M CT

Active Member
I tried plates 1, 2, and 3 two times each and really liked 3. The next time I shave I’ll try R4. It seems like a lot of people gravitate to that one for everyday shaving.

it’s amazing the difference even a beginner can get with a DE vs a cartridge.
 

Bauhaus

Forum GOD!
I used to shave with Rockwell 6S for more than a year and sold it then. I used 3 or 4 plates mostly.
It's a pretty damn good safety razor, really. It shaves awesome without any "dancing" with it. The razor eats all the blades I've tried in it. I would recommend this razor to all the newbies in a wet shaving.

But why did I sell it?
It was too boring for me. It gives you a clean, great, and perfect shave every time. You don't need to find the angle or control your shaving process, nothing. Just shaves on autopilot.
 

Mike M CT

Active Member
I just tried plate 4 and not sure I could tell any ‘feel’ difference vs plate 3, and no irritation again (after shaving 2 days ago). I kind of think it was a marginally closer shave with the 4.

out of curiosity do most people keep moving higher until you find a plate that you don’t like, or just stop where you think you get and shave (like 4 here). I’m tempted to keep shaving with 4 since it seems like a lot do and just try 5 or even 6 if I go closer to a week without shaving.

The biggest improvement I came across in this process was when I switched from the Rockwell blades to Silver Blues based on a lot of recommendations for them. That change was a home run - love them.
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
When using a sharper blade, I often use plate 3. If I‘m using one of my smoother blades, I‘ll use plate 4. Also, sometimes when I‘m on holiday somewhere, I notice that plate 4 can be too much, regardless of the blade. Not sure if that has to do with the water or the fact that my skin has seen alot of sun. The solution is just to take an assortment of baseplates and blades along, no big deal.

But, to answer the question. Try all the plates with your favourite blades until you get an uncomfortably aggressive shave, then go back down. I aim for a plate that is efficient enough, but not more aggressive than it needs to be :)
 
Last edited:

Flash75

Forum GOD!
I totally agree with @Ventastic .
Just try.
I have my Rockwell for five years now, tried many many others but the Rockwell is the best.
I have a long journey of choosing plates behind me. When I was less experienced I tended to more aggressive plates. But nowadays I only use R3 as my technique is fine enough for getting a bbs shave with that plate. But yesterday I tried R4 again and.. Well I know R3 is right.
The only occasion I will use higher plates is maybe at the end of a blades lifetime to get two more shaves of it.
 

Ranyart Finn

Forum GOD!
I have a Rockwell 4C - that is, I bought the Rockwell 2C and then the 2/4 plate separately to give me 4 base plate options.

Plate 3 is the sweet spot for me, and I usually swap to the 2 plate for my subsequent passes. It takes seconds to do. Plate 4 does offer a little blade feel than plate 3, and I sometimes use a 4/3 combination if I feel my stubble needs it.

What's true for the razor on just about any plate is how smooth it is. The head and safety bar geometry provide and extremely smooth and comfortable shave. I'd say my 4C is my favourite 3-piece razor.
 
It‘s not just the gap, but also the exposure that affects the shave. All other things being equal, an increase in the blade gap will always lead to an increase in blade exposure. BTW, if you imagine a line going from the end of the baseplate to the end of the top cap, exposure is the amount that the blade protrudes beyond this line.

I have been using aggressive razors for quite some time now and still have very, very good results with plates 3 & 4 with a Rockwell. I shave 365 days a year. Honestly, I think you will have difficulty finding a better shaving razor.
Completely agree! The first thing I look at number in a razor is the blade exposure! I don't worry too much about the blade gap. I also like using aggressive razors (Timeless Slim & R41) are the razors I use although I prefer to label the 41 as efficient and not aggressive. I am curious as to what razors you use, if you are willing to share
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Completely agree! The first thing I look at number in a razor is the blade exposure! I don't worry too much about the blade gap. I also like using aggressive razors (Timeless Slim & R41) are the razors I use although I prefer to label the 41 as efficient and not aggressive. I am curious as to what razors you use, if you are willing to share
Yes as you say, efficient is probably the better term. The R41, however, is one I don't seem to get along with at all. Perhaps I am more middle of the road in this case :wink:

My favourites:
- H&S Ti efficient
- Blackbird
- Rocnel elite
- Rocnel sailor (no need to go past 3,5)
- Karve E on some days, Karve D on others
- Charcoal goods gen 3, as above, I alternate between lvl 2 and 3
- le Maurice 1.4
- Rockwell 6s
 
Yes as you say, efficient is probably the better term. The R41, however, is one I don't seem to get along with at all. Perhaps I am more middle of the road in this case :wink:

My favourites:
- H&S Ti efficient
- Blackbird
- Rocnel elite
- Rocnel sailor (no need to go past 3,5)
- Karve E on some days, Karve D on others
- Charcoal goods gen 3, as above, I alternate between lvl 2 and 3
- le Maurice 1.4
- Rockwell 6s
Nice ! I recently came across Charcoal goods and wanted to get a level 3 but I heard they have shut shop :( The past couple of years has been brutal on wet shaving razor manufacturers due to inflation of input costs (mainly metal)
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Nice ! I recently came across Charcoal goods and wanted to get a level 3 but I heard they have shut shop :( The past couple of years has been brutal on wet shaving razor manufacturers due to inflation of input costs (mainly metal)
Every now and then they come up on a facebook group BST group. There was one recently that took ages to sell and it was priced very reasonably.

The last couple of years have also been brutal on consumers with so many new razors coming out :wink: But I guess there is also more competition for producers, you either keep innovating or just close shop (see ATT). Not sure why Charcoal goods really closed. I think for some of these artisans, the razor business is more of a hobby. Maybe he went into retirement, maybe he just lost interest.
 
Top