Mundane News

R181

Grumpy old man
Yesterday, Monday, the street plow was by twice, so was the sidewalk plow and our contractor did our driveway and sidewalk. Today, no street plow yet but the sidewalk plow has been by and so has our contractor for the driveway and sidewalk. Possibly a repeat tomorrow after it finishes snowing overnight. Petty good chance well have 40 cm/ 16 inches all told by then. Nothing major as it came down over a couple of days. Just a pita.

Bob

Vacumatic

Testy
A neighbour is called Grainger. There is no more annoying man on the planet so when he told me about a phone call with his energy company I had to suppress a laugh.

Gas company, 'Your name please?'

Customer, 'Grainger, with an i'

Gas Company, 'Ok Mr Withernie, how can I help you you?'

Customer, 'No its Grainger'

Gas Company, 'Ok Grainger, my name is Cheryl'

R181

Grumpy old man
I had to go to a medical appointment today and the streets that had been plowed were slick as anything. On the side streets you had better have all wheel drive just to be on the safe side as there was about a foot of wet slippery snow on them. Anyone who has been on the highways in our area these last two days is either nuts or suicidal imo.

Bob

R181

Grumpy old man
The snowstorm is over and the sun is out. The street is plowed and am having the snow removal guys over again to clear the driveway and sidewalk. Had the neighbour knock at the door and asking who we had doing our snow removal. The one she and another neighbour had doing it was not turning up when needed. Gladly gave her our guy's name as he has been nothing but reliable and does a good job. This morning, she and another fellow are hand clearing the snow.

It was brutal on the highways east and west of us with the Transcanada Highway being closed on either side of us at various times due to road conditions. I have never seen the highways maintained so badly as after they privatized the work years ago.

Bob

R181

Grumpy old man
That’s the reason right there.

steve
In all fairness, even when the road maintenance was done by the Ministry of Transport Ontario (MTO) there were times when we had road closures due to weather conditions. Those closures were far less frequent occurrences with the MTO. We now have poorer maintenance with privatisation compounded by a great increase in traffic volume and the extreme slowness in getting the TCA up graded to a divided 4 lane highway from a 2 lane.

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
It was brutal on the highways east and west of us with the Transcanada Highway being closed on either side of us at various times due to road conditions. I have never seen the highways maintained so badly as after they privatized the work years ago.

Bob
Ah, deferred maintenance: The first refuge of politicians, who are shamming fiscal prudence; but the bugbear of taxpayers who will have to foot the grossly inflated bill when there is no option but to have the work done.

R181

Grumpy old man
Ah, deferred maintenance: The first refuge of politicians, who are shamming fiscal prudence; but the bugbear of taxpayers who will have to foot the grossly inflated bill when there is no option but to have the work done.
If by deferred maintenance, you mean the glacial pace of twinning the TCA through Northwestern Ontario, I could agree. There are not a lot of votes to be had up here compared to vote rich Southern Ontario so not great incentive to speed the money up here. Instead, we get yet another plan for another multilane 400 series toll road in Southern Ontario. That leaves this area up here with the feeling of "what am I, chopped liver".

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
If by deferred maintenance, you mean the glacial pace of twinning the TCA through Northwestern Ontario, I could agree. There are not a lot of votes to be had up here compared to vote rich Southern Ontario so not great incentive to speed the money up here. Instead, we get yet another plan for another multilane 400 series toll road in Southern Ontario. That leaves this area up here with the feeling of "what am I, chopped liver".

Bob
I’d include such a project. Ancient wise man says, don’t do today that which can be put off until tomorrow.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
We like to have traditional hot cross buns. The Cobbs bakery near us has been baking them since mid-February. The problem my wife and I have with them is that we can’t eat just one each per sitting. They’ll be gone after Easter Monday for another year.:(

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
We like to have traditional hot cross buns. The Cobbs bakery near us has been baking them since mid-February. The problem my wife and I have with them is that we can’t eat just one each per sitting. They’ll be gone after Easter Monday for another year.:(
Me too on the hot cross bun front! Nice and squidgy with unsalted butter.

Mrs P doesn’t agree though, not a fan of the fruit.

steve