Longer whiskers; better shave

R181

Grumpy old man
I mentioned in another thread that I have used cold water to shave with for years now. I use cold water to make lather with, I rinse my razor in cold water while shaving and rinse my face with cold water post shave. I'll grant it is not a popular option but has worked for me to minimise post shave discomfort. My daily routine is a 4 pass face lathered shave.

Bob

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I mentioned in another thread that I have used cold water to shave with for years now. I use cold water to make lather with, I rinse my razor in cold water while shaving and rinse my face with cold water post shave. I'll grant it is not a popular option but has worked for me to minimise post shave discomfort. My daily routine is a 4 pass face lathered shave.

Bob
I've done both and found no significant difference...but YMMV (as always). LOL!!

I've done both and found no significant difference...but YMMV (as always). LOL!!

Bob
I too have gone from less hot water to more cold lukewarm. I also stopped washing before a shave and have noticed I rarely get irritation unlike previously.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I think folks just feel the difference more after shaving longer hair. And, I realize some have minimal hair to shave. I had to start shaving at 14. At least it cleared up my acne. :wink:

Baba Rum

Forum GOD!
I've come to think/find that my best shaves (smooth and efficient) are the ones where I go really slow and take time for all the stages. Technique, you could call it, probably.
Rushed shaves are generally not so good, because of extra pressure, or less care in corners, sloppy lathering, etc. regardless of the razor I use, or the blades I prefer (unless of course the blade is end-of-life).

If you use a blade you know and like, then it's "taking your time" more than the razor or the amount of hair that will turn my shave into a good one, or a less good/pleasant one (although I hardly ever have more than 2 days of growth...), I feel.

I can have bad shaves with super equipment - and I know it's just me to blame: rushing it.

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I've come to think/find that my best shaves (smooth and efficient) are the ones where I go really slow and take time for all the stages. Technique, you could call it, probably.
Rushed shaves are generally not so good, because of extra pressure, or less care in corners, sloppy lathering, etc. regardless of the razor I use, or the blades I prefer (unless of course the blade is end-of-life).

If you use a blade you know and like, then it's "taking your time" more than the razor or the amount of hair that will turn my shave into a good one, or a less good/pleasant one (although I hardly ever have more than 2 days of growth...), I feel.

I can have bad shaves with super equipment - and I know it's just me to blame: rushing it.
The more experience I have the less this rings true.
I (try) to shave slowly for the simple reason that I enjoy it more when I take my time. I shave for myself and no one else so that helps.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Right now I have several well used blades, shavette, DE, Schick, and GEM. If I follow what @Baba Rum said, I can still good a good result, primarily because I go slow and secondly because I beard mapped years ago and learned what it takes for me.

TheBurgh

Loyal Order of The Overlander; Athena Afficianado
WARNING: Heresy ensues!

I am in total agreement with the subject of this thread. For me, longer beard = better shave.

With a two-day beard, I skip the first pass and proceed to ATG and then cleanup. Nuts for sure, but it works for me with the mild-to-moderate razors and blades I like best.

You were warned!

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the warning. No disrespect, but on the rare times I’ve gone a few days, the shave is not better, it just takes longer.

Estariol

Forum GOD!
So the only sensible conclusion is:
Everyone's beard is more or less, but still different, so there's no way a consensus can be achieved.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I’ve considered that a face that goes from stubble to smooth might mistakenly be considered a superior result.