I'm done buying soaps from now on...

  • Thread starter Deleted member 1881
  • Start date

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
My tin of Speick is getting very low so I've just ordered two more sticks. These are staying in their intended stick format as for me slicing it into a tin was not an improvement. I think if aliens destroyed all the world's shaving soaps apart from Speick I could survive quite happily.
 

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
Some others are offensive like Merchant of Tobacco in particular.
Yeah Merchant of Tobacco is probably the worst soap scent I've ever smelled.
Do you catch any alcohol in MOT?
Strangely I get a strong kinda alcholic smell in it.
Proof of how tastes vary. I love Merchant of Tobacco. It’s not my favorite scent in wet shaving, but I really enjoy it. The tobacco is there for me, but mostly the scent reminds me of chocolate, booze and perfume. (By the way, I have the vegan version, not sure if that makes any difference.)
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I doubt very much I will spend £20+ on a soap again. I could happily live with Haslinger, Monsavon and perhaps Goodfellas at a push. Scent means little to me anymore in soap. I always follow the shave with an EDT/EDP. As long as it is slick and thick, like myself I'm happy these days.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
The Grapefruit Ethos is 3/4 done so Eufros is a go! Lima-Especias and Ylang Ylang incoming in Manuel’s new base.

High quality essential oil soaps and just a few of them. I could not stand the awfulness of the new A&E Kaizen scents. Fewer home soap cookers these days.

Eufros and Ethos are top notch!
I think I'm in the same boat as you.maye, apart from all my soaps are Eufros, I've been blown away by the performance. I agree that for my skin is the essential oils over the fragrance. I'd like to try Ethos, but doesn't look the easiest to buy and I'd probably just hope a tub comes up in BST eventually.
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
I think I'm in the same boat as you.maye, apart from all my soaps are Eufros, I've been blown away by the performance. I agree that for my skin is the essential oils over the fragrance. I'd like to try Ethos, but doesn't look the easiest to buy and I'd probably just hope a tub comes up in BST eventually.
Perhaps when more people have it you may get lucky on BST, but I think it unlikely. Per gram, the Ethos and Eufros soaps are similarly priced, but it is bloody tedious getting it here at the moment. Even though Shipito rates to the UK are very reasonable, you still have to add postage TO Shipito within the US. You really have to want the soap to go through all that.

Having said that, a tub of Ethos will last ages. This morning I used about a peanut sized amount and got ample lather.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Perhaps when more people have it you may get lucky on BST, but I think it unlikely. Per gram, the Ethos and Eufros soaps are similarly priced, but it is bloody tedious getting it here at the moment. Even though Shipito rates to the UK are very reasonable, you still have to add postage TO Shipito within the US. You really have to want the soap to go through all that.

Having said that, a tub of Ethos will last ages. This morning I used about a peanut sized amount and got ample lather.
I think I might as well leave it, sounds like a ball ache.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I doubt very much I will spend £20+ on a soap again. I could happily live with Haslinger, Monsavon and perhaps Goodfellas at a push. Scent means little to me anymore in soap. I always follow the shave with an EDT/EDP. As long as it is slick and thick, like myself I'm happy these days.
What about the post shave king Wayne?
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I doubt very much I will spend £20+ on a soap again. I could happily live with Haslinger, Monsavon and perhaps Goodfellas at a push. Scent means little to me anymore in soap. I always follow the shave with an EDT/EDP. As long as it is slick and thick, like myself I'm happy these days.
+1. Monsavon, the cheapies I got from IB, Speick, Signature are all far superior for me than £20+ artisan soaps. I still like my P&B Denali so would probably replace that when used and I'll also keep a couple of Stirling.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I doubt very much I will spend £20+ on a soap again. I could happily live with Haslinger, Monsavon and perhaps Goodfellas at a push. Scent means little to me anymore in soap. I always follow the shave with an EDT/EDP. As long as it is slick and thick, like myself I'm happy these days.
Arrived at the same destination. I enjoyed using the artisan soaps but I am also delighted with the performance of so many bog standard, inexpensive European mainstream soaps...Speick, Palmolive, Arko, Vitos Super, Tabac and Monsavon. And I am of an age where my sense of smell along with my eyesight and hearing is diminished anyway, that or I caught Covid about 10 years ago :)...
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
+1. Monsavon, the cheapies I got from IB, Speick, Signature are all far superior for me than £20+ artisan soaps. I still like my P&B Denali so would probably replace that when used and I'll also keep a couple of Stirling.
I'm waiting a selection of Signature soaps by @Brianh !

Will post back my thoughts after trying it for several times.
 
Top