Hobby or just a decent shave?

N0ggie

Guru
I would call it more of an interest for me.
10 razors with no real need for anymore so I am not a collector. I do hope to add a Homelike Colibri kit & a Carbon 316L (R2) in the future. I have no clue what they shave like, I just want them.
I don't collect soaps either (10 in total at the moment). If I buy one I will try to use it all up.

I need to understand more about what a high quality brush can do for me should I invest. I just haven't explored this part of wet shaving very much. I do prefer synthetic and have trouble understanding what say a Chubby synth would give me over my budget Trafalgar.

I can not leave the den if the shave in hand isn't finished totally right though. A patch missed seems to annoy the hell out of me all day, call it OCD. So a decent shave is a high priority.

A huge part of the interest is checking out the kit that the forum members here use, especially the SOTD's. The reviews, shave tales and performance of the hardware & software.

Maybe I have got a wet shaving hobby now you got me thinking? 🤔

Last edited:

Steve

Boomer Member
My first two years were spent chasing @Wayne down the rabbit hole, drooling over SRs, and buying every soap and cream anyone on the forum mentioned in a thread. Now I'm just waiting to buy a Tradere, and that will constitute the final transition from hobby to decent shave.

Wayne

Forum Sod
My first two years were spent chasing @Wayne down the rabbit hole, drooling over SRs, and buying every soap and cream anyone on the forum mentioned in a thread. Now I'm just waiting to buy a Tradere, and that will constitute the final transition from hobby to decent shave.
They can't be as good as people think the first one I saw was on BST already today.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
My motivation for joining my first wet shaving forum (SMF in April 2007) was to find out how I could improve the quality of my daily shave. I’d been a wet shaver since the late 1960s, but I thought I was not getting the most comfortable shaves I could. Also, I had recently retired so I had the time to pursue such a frippery, as I considered it at the time. I was soon hooked and started to acquire and experiment with all kinds of wet shaving paraphernalia. Since then I’ve figured out what I like in the way of razors, shaving creams and aftershave splashes, but where I really got hooked was on brushes. Having said that, I regard my interest in wet shaving to be more of a pastime than a hobby. I currently frequent 4 wet shaving forums and see them as key resources for expanding my knowledge of the intricacies of wet shaving and many other non-shaving related topics. Best of all, I can use the knowledge of shaving I have gained from them to astound, confuse, confound and, in most instances, bore my friends and acquaintances at dinner parties, etc. when the conversation starts to lag.

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
A lot of guys don't like the Pils, or ASD2, either. What's too mild for your heathen beard tends to be perfect for my Southern face. The President and Congress is sending me a birthday/Christmas cheque (#2), and I may just spring for another Pils.
I have a heathen beard and manage just fine with them. :D