chazt
shave
Thanks @Twelvefret . Also noteworthy is the increased exposure on the DX model over the SS and SR versions.
I can infer that my brief experience confirms the man’s points 5 and 6. Ergo, an unscientific testing of his hypothesis. If we can all duplicate his results it’ll turn into theory!Lifted this from a B&B post. The member is comparing blades installed to determine exposure.
"Owning both the Kai Captain & Feather Artist Club DX holders, and the Kai Titan Mild & Feather Super blades, I've had a chance to make some direct comparisons and observations between the two compatible systems. In this thread, I'd like to address blade exposure. Given the same blade, the Kai holder seems to have just a little bit less exposure than the Feather. For those interested in such things, here is a list of holder and blade combinations from most to least blade exposure. Please, keep in mind that some information is logically inferred and not from direct observation.
(MOST EXPOSURE)
(LEAST EXPOSURE)"
- Feather w/Pro Super Blade
- Kai w/Pro Super Blade
- Feather w/Standard Size Blade (Feather Professional, Kai Mild, ProGuard, etc.)
- Kai w/Standard Size Blade (Feather Professional, Kai Mild, ProGuard, etc.)
- Feather w/Pro Light Blade
- Kai w/Pro Light Blade (reports indicate almost no blade exposure with this combination)
I made that conclusion judging by the front/tip profiles of the holders. I have no accurate info, but according to the profile from the front, the Kai razor with the wedge-like profile can be resembling to the DX in shaving properties. I didn't explore comparison videos, though, maybe there is one...? We'll find out when i receive my Captain clone@Estariol Do you know if the other Kai models are similar or is there some variation like the Feather SS and DX?
I’ll recheck.Kai blades are 7.9mm.
I thought the Prolines were 8.04mm but don't have the means to check.
By saying that the razor’s design allows you to achieve a milder shave with a more narrow blade is a pretty good definition of a milder razor. Yes?@chazt took photos of his three on post #184. I posted the SS on post #185. Kai made a line they branded "Luffy". The wood scale version is a part of this line and has a similar design as the SS.
I think what this shows is that the Kai "woody" is not necessarily mild nor is the SS mild. What they do is allow for a milder use with a more narrow or guarded blade. The wider the blade more similar the effect, perhaps is true.
Another question, is the DX more effective than the SS using the same blade? Or, is the woody less effective than the Kia Kasho Captain using the same blade? I think Charlie's experience yesterday shows is using a narrower blade makes the design of the woody/Luffy and SS less effective, but safer perhaps. If the SR is between the SS and DX, this would explain why Charlie got a better shave taking the soft out of the woody and putting it into the SR.
Have you used a Pro Guard in any of your holders?By saying that the razor’s design allows you to achieve a milder shave with a more narrow blade is a pretty good definition of a milder razor. Yes?
And I’ll clarify that using a narrower blade wasn’t less effective, it was ineffective. I’ll try a Feather Professional guarded blade next in the Woody.
No, not yet. Here’s how the holders are currently set up. The DX and the Woody each now have a Kai Pink MG. I know what to expect from each razor with that blade. I’m totally fine with the DX and the KPMG setup for the time being and see no reason to start any further experimentation there just now. The Woody otoh and tbh leaves a lot to be desired with the KPMG blade. It’s ok on the cheeks but hasn’t worked worth a damn anywhere below my jawline. Something needs adjusting there. La Pluma Negra is fitted with the Feather Professional Light blade from yesterday. I’ll stick with that for a while as well. I think.Have you used a Pro Guard in any of your holders?