December 2017 Acquisitions

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
M&F from a fellow member here:



Digress from another fellow member here:



Went downtown Athens this morning to pick up the replated No. 59 I picked up from another fellow member here couple of weeks back, and got a few other small things:









I noticed Parker released many new pens lately, the Jotter line is now all stainless steel (@Northam Saint ) instead of half steel half plastic, few more new styles and finishes added to their product lines. I chose to get a nice Pelikan ball pen at Eur 7, with two refills as gift. The finish is something like white/cream sundust, matte texture - very nice for the price, and they write very well, I am told that these new refills are something between traditional oil-based ink and gel ink. This ball point pen is also available in other colour finishes.



The replated No. 59 [or] Gold HD 500 (it's not 100% perfect and somehow he couldn't do the shaft but for 10 Euro I'm ok with that, razor is a beater, not for collecting):



And a book on Ancient Greece, originally published in 1951, I believe:

 

R181

Grumpy old man
Got this in the mail yesterday about noon from a fellow member here, thanks James. Took some time in the afternoon to hone it and do a 3 pass test shave. Happy to say it took an edge as good as I am able to do for a close comfy shave. A very loud singing razor and satisfying to use.

Bob

KAM-Razor.jpg
 

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Got this in the mail yesterday about noon from a fellow member here, thanks James. Took some time in the afternoon to hone it and do a 3 pass test shave. Happy to say it took an edge as good as I am able to do for a close comfy shave. A very loud singing razor and satisfying to use.

Bob

View attachment 21677
That's unusual from my neck of the woods Bob, pwllehli North Wales.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
That's unusual from my neck of the woods Bob, pwllehli North Wales.
Yes, I had never seen a razor marked from Wales which piqued my interest plus it was a svelte German made one to boot. I'd like to explore the UK more. Closest glimpse I have had of Wales was when we took the train from London to Holyhead to catch the high speed ferry to Dublin. Too many interesting places and not enough time. Some day though.

Bob
 

Dr Watson

James
That's unusual from my neck of the woods Bob, pwllehli North Wales.
That’s exactly what drew me to it in the first place, there was only a blurry eBay picture to go on...

Once it arrived and I could read the KAM Etching I could do a little research, turns out the Kammerling cutlery family relocated from Germany to north Wales post war where they now run a tool manufacturing/importing business. The KAM branded straight razors apparently date from the mid seventies to late eighties, if you find a Kammerling one it’s from the same family but will be pre-war.
 
Top