Blackland Dart

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I had this rubbish. Saw "card left' on tracking simultaneous with post delivery, but no card in letterbox. Immediately rang local DO (secret number because they don't want the likes of me after them), got details sufficient to collect from PO. Spotted red PO van through trees, so chased him down and got the card off him.

Then a cycle ride into town to ante up. All in this heat, and people like me in their 7th decade being told to loll at home and drink water. Bloody good way to lose some avoirdupois, but I think the cold beer may have cancelled out that effect.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
20180725_195046.jpg

Blackland Dart
Gillette Nacet (2)
Brad Sears DFS LE
Declaration Grooming Colonia Balsamic

I picked up The Dart this morning. First impressions. The packaging is excellent. A strong thick cardboard box with foam cut to hold the razor firmly.

Fit and finish. There are some machine marks on the baseplate and the inside of the top cap. These are minimal though. No sharp edges or corners like the V2 Blackbird I owned. A big thumbs up.
20180725_211513.jpg
20180725_211526.jpg

With the mixed reviews of the Dart I started the shave with some trepidation.
The loading of the blade had a faff factor of zero BTW. Another thumbs up.
Looking at the blade exposure I struggled to see how it could be (reportedly) so aggressive.
Time to find out...

Having read a number of reviews. A steeper angle (riding more towards the safety bar) seemed to be the way to go. This worked for me too, along with a very light touch.

I didn't think the blade feel was too excessive, for the most apart, apart from on my top lip. I found it very tuggy and struggled to find the right angle. This is the only area of concern I have with the razor.

Rising off after the first pass was the first shock. WOW! Super close apart from on my neck.
I did 3 passes and two small touch-ups either side of my Adams Apple and that was it!

Is this the most efficient razor I've ever used? YES! "Even more efficient than the R41?" I hear you cry. YES!
It's not the smoothest and it's a razor you need to take great care with. Get the angle wrong and it will bite you.

The finished results were spectacular. A very, very close shave, no tenderness or roughness whatsoever.

This is my first use and first impressions but it shows great promise.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
One day I would like to own a Blackland razor but it sounds like this one isn’t for me either.
They're excellent razors, Chris...very efficient. I think it's worth a try. I love the PILS like yourself but I also now own four Blackland razors (possibly because I have an AD, but also because they are excellent shavers). I must also add, Shane is a class act and always provide excellent customer service.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve not tried any of the Charcoal razors.

When I read comments like “needs a steep angle”, “not the smoothest” and “not a daily driver” it raises red flags. I really prefer a shallow angle, steep always feels like it’s scraping rather than cutting.

I have no doubts about Shane’s customer service nor the quality of his razors but they do seem to tend toward the aggressive.

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
I’ve not tried any of the Charcoal razors.

When I read comments like “needs a steep angle”, “not the smoothest” and “not a daily driver” it raises red flags. I really prefer a shallow angle, steep always feels like it’s scraping rather than cutting.

I have no doubts about Shane’s customer service nor the quality of his razors but they do seem to tend toward the aggressive.
Except for the Sabre L1, Chris.