August 2018 Acquisitions

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
@Acer89 and @Blackmass please could you comment how you see that knot compared to a Maseto Finest knot
IMO they are every bit as good as Maseto Finest. Maybe a little more dense, but lovely soft tips, with no scritch. My 30mm Maggards is HUGE and so dense it is bit of a later hog, the smaller knots don't hog lather as much as the 30mm.
It will be interesting to hear what James and Rob think too.
 

Acer89

James
@Acer89 and @Blackmass please could you comment how you see that knot compared to a Maseto Finest knot
Hi @Quique
Here's my take but do appreciate opinions will differ.

Both the Maggards 2-band and Maseto Finest are good quality mid priced knots. Both have good backbone and once fully broken in the tips are soft. IMO the Maggards has slightly more scritch than the MS Extra Dense but not by much. The Maggards knots are also higher, in this instance 70mm compared to MS 65mm

Unlike Maggards, MS won't supply a 28mm but will offer you a choice of fan or bulb and you also have the option of standard or extra dense. IMO the MS extra dense is full and luxurious but being so dense they do require a longer break in period.

Both are very fine knots so it comes down to personal choice of which will look best in your chosen handle.:)

DSC_0278.jpg

yaqi1_2.jpg


MS bulb compared to fan
butter.jpg

green marble ms bulb fan1.jpg
 
Last edited:

Quique

Forum GOD!
Hi @Quique
Here's my take but do appreciate opinions will differ.

Both the Maggards 2-band and Maseto Finest are good quality mid priced knots. Both have good backbone and once fully broken in the tips are soft. IMO the Maggards has slightly more scritch than the MS Extra Dense but not by much. The Maggards knots are also higher, in this instance 70mm compared to MS 65mm

Unlike Maggards, MS won't supply a 28mm but will offer you a choice of fan or bulb and you also have the option of standard or extra dense. IMO the MS extra dense is full and luxurious but being so dense they do require a long break in period.

Both are very fine knots so it comes down to personal choice of which will look best in your chosen handle.:)

View attachment 35208
View attachment 35209

MS bulb compared to fan
View attachment 35210
View attachment 35212
Thank you very much James. I have a 24 mm Maseto and I'm very happy whith it but I whenever I see a knot of Maggard I am curious about it :okay:
 

Acer89

James
Thank you very much James. I have a 24 mm Maseto and I'm very happy whith it but I whenever I see a knot of Maggard I am curious about it :okay:
As mentioned both are very fine knots. If you've never tried a Maggards 2-band a 24mm will cost you less than £20 including international shipping. :)
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
So they actually exist... shame he killed off the waiting list after I’d been on it for nearly two years.
I thought he was working his way through the list and, having reached the end, opened up public sales again? That’s what I read his blog post to indicate anyway. ?
 

Acer89

James
I picked up this vintage Simpsons which was looking pretty tired and required some TLC

I do like the way it had aged but parts of the handle looked grubby
vintage amber 02.jpg


Cleaned, polished, reknotted and looking as good as new. I opened up the socket to accommodate a MS 24mm Extra Dense Finest

DSC_2254 -1a.jpg
 
Top