Arabic Oud Aftershaves.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I've found a new, to me, line of Arabic Oud scents on the well known auction site. They are available at the stonking price of £11.99 for 100ml. The wife loves the one I've got called Oud 24 hours By Ard Al Zaafaran. It is seriously good and great value. It even had matching body spray in the box. Really rich and spicy but not overpowering unless you put loads on of course. Sillage is good too. I hate a scent I cannot smell on myself. I've just ordered another two which are Oud Isphahan and Ahlam Al Arab I hope it is half as nice. I have no affiliation of any kind. I'm just letting you know what I found. I'll put the link below. Postage was quick too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281749441203?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282071758138?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Tom Oud Wood is excellent. It does not have the complexity of the original Tom Ford Oud Wood. Neither does it last as long. The copy oil lasts a good 4 hours and does smell lovely, for the price you really can't go wrong. My only issue is the apparent lack of ingredients list as to what is in the oil based perfume. I also fin the roll ons to be the better applicator, if the ball is not stuck.
 

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
I followed Wayne's advice and bought some of the 24 hours from the link given above. Nice stuff, was very pleased - and recommended it elsewhere and he too was happy. (don't rate the free deodorant though...or, come to think of it, perhaps it's NOT deodorant and is just a body spray?..maybe that's why it doesn't work as the former but is fine as the latter).

But, in the "scent of the day" topic there's mention of the Ebay store called Fragrance of Arabia. But there's a list of manufacturers within that site and each manufacturer has dozens of similar sounding items. Where are you supposed to start working out one from another?

I should have asked the question to the fella who recommended the site. I'll ask in there too.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Can I ask is this 24 oud a clean or smokey oud scent? Does it have a lot of rose or benzoin or an incense type fragrance to it?
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
TBH you can't expect designer strength scents for £11.99 but they are pleasant enough for what you pay.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
TBH you can't expect designer strength scents for £11.99 but they are pleasant enough for what you pay.
I agree it's just interesting as to what's going on your skin (chemically speaking) for a long duration of time. Obviously just something of instrest to me and not something that must be of alarm.
 

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
TBH you can't expect designer strength scents for £11.99 but they are pleasant enough for what you pay.
I realise that. It was an aforegone conclusion. But you've not gone anywhere near answering my question of how does anyone (anyone, like myself, who's not an expert in these things) see a list of 1227 items and know one from another when, as I said, many have near identical descriptions.

How, for instance, did you choose the one you mentioned? Was it maybe just a recommendation from elsewhere? If so it was a good one! :) but I found it a bit perplexing to see so many on one site - and there are loads of similar sites too.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Hey Kevin it's a bit of a minefield and the decent oils develop throughout the day and do react very differently on the skin, also heat plays a large role. So blind buying literally is blind buying.

Few things to consider. Anything majmua related is often based on Rose or Kewra water. Sandalwood at the given price point is often poor quality so will be smokey/incense smelling with little 'real' sandalwood. This is also a similar case with oud. Then you have the musks. The poorer musk oils can alter from anything to benzoin and cat's piss to sweet amber (which is part of the later stages of bezoin) and talc. It's all very confusing. The base or carrier oil quality also plays a huge role.
 

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Thanks for that, Nishkins. Appreciated. I've read it. I'll work on it.

(But I'm glad you said it's all very confusing, coz that makes me feel a bit better).
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
DS I'm sorry if I was a little vague. I chose simply by the description and took a chance that I liked them. If I didn't then I'd simply take it on the chin (literally) £12 was a chance I took. I waste more than that on rubbish in a day usually. So far I and more importantly she who must be obeyed like my lucky dips. I'm going to get a few more and no doubt eventually my luck will run out, that is when they get packed in nice paper and get given out as presents to some unsuspecting family member at Chrimbo.
 
Top