Your EDC functions check list

How many of these tasks/functions can you perform w/ just your EDC kit?

  • Open a bottle cap w/out hitting the bottle on the side of the table, etc ;-)

    Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Cut open a box / sharpen a pencil

    Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Screwdriver (flathead/slotted, philips)

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Write a note on a piece of paper

    Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Entertain yourself for 30 mins (spinner, music, etc)

    Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Light up a dark room (non-fire)

    Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Start a fire

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Reply to a post on ATG

    Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Pay for a coffee

    Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Tell what time it is

    Votes: 9 100.0%

  • Total voters
    9

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
Although tempting, I have no reason to carry a lighter with me. I may get one for camping though!
The pain in the bum, no pun intended, with the Zippo is the constant need to refill. The liquid evaporates over time and I only need a lighter on occasion, the times I go to use it, the liquid has gone so I end up using a match!! Nice ornament though, I have it on a little Zippo stand on the coffee table :D
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
I have a habit of returning home at least once in 24 hours and that's about as long as they last...
If I get the self igniting one I also need to carry ↪one of those to charge the batteries. Then I need to have fire again. :rolleyes:
I just love the advertising back then: "It's quite safe" :)


Btw, "Go UK" - in this video at the 6 mins mark the reviewer crowns the hand warmer from Whitby in the UK the best of the lot:
That valve design is rather clever.
 
Last edited:

Darkbulb

Member #10
I blame upside-down-Andread for separating me from $13 this evening - but in return I will next week be sporting this rather neat looking "Peacock Platinum" hand warmer :)
I like the bird design on this one quite a bit - and yes, SF does get cold in the winter.
 

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I just love the advertising back then: "It's quite safe" :)
I love the way it says 'Made in Occupied Japan', even on the warmer.
Btw, "Go UK" - in this video at the 6 mins mark the reviewer crowns the hand warmer from Whitby in the UK the best of the lot:
That valve design is rather clever.
The guy thinks the Chinese ones are copies of the Zippo? D'Oh. Zippos are a copy of the Peacock. He doesn't even test the original....
Two tips for using them:
The instructions should say to heat the element with the underside of a match. That's correct. No direct flame required. The element needs heating up, not soot from an open flame. Match. Not lighter.
Secondly, Compare the size of the funnel with the size of the warmer. It's probably half the size of the warmer. That means the warmer holds two funnels worth of lighter fluid, not just the one and will then last all day.
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
I love the way it says 'Made in Occupied Japan', even on the warmer.
Yeah I think that would date that one to about middle of 1940's to late 1950's.
Those vintage ones can be found almost NOS for about $15 on both eBay and Etsy.

The guy thinks the Chinese ones are copies of the Zippo? D'Oh. Zippos are a copy of the Peacock. He doesn't even test the original....
Two tips for using them:
The instructions should say to heat the element with the underside of a match. That's correct. No direct flame required. The element needs heating up, not soot from an open flame. Match. Not lighter.
Secondly, Compare the size of the funnel with the size of the warmer. It's probably half the size of the warmer. That means the warmer holds two funnels worth of lighter fluid, not just the one and will then last all day.
As long as I can get, say, 8-12 hours out of it I should be fine. I go skiing here in Tahoe quite a bit during the winter season as it's only a couple hours away and this will hopefully be a good thing to bring with me.
 
Last edited:

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
I love the way it says 'Made in Occupied Japan', even on the warmer.

The guy thinks the Chinese ones are copies of the Zippo? D'Oh. Zippos are a copy of the Peacock. He doesn't even test the original....
Two tips for using them:
The instructions should say to heat the element with the underside of a match. That's correct. No direct flame required. The element needs heating up, not soot from an open flame. Match. Not lighter.
Secondly, Compare the size of the funnel with the size of the warmer. It's probably half the size of the warmer. That means the warmer holds two funnels worth of lighter fluid, not just the one and will then last all day.
I think I made this mistake with my Zippo hand warmer (following YouTube instructions) I was using my Zippo lighter to light the catalytic burner on the hand warmer. It's completely black now and after only two or 3 uses, it no longer glows when lighting and doesn't seem to work at all. Don't know if the catalytic burner is buggered and I have to get a new one or if it just needs more fluid to get it going again. Might try it later. I'd given up on it.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I used to have a small flint box, pull out a length of metal, wick attached, soaked in lighter fluid, strike on the edge of the box, hey presto fire.

Apart from that my butler accommodates for the rest :wink:
 
Top