Your buying thought process

D

Deleted member 476

Guest
Yup, I have a couple of simple and self-imposed restraints.
1. I previously spent $100 a year on Cartridges & Goo. My goal has always been to increase the quality and satisfaction of my shaves using DE razors, while staying roughly within the same costs that I incurred with cartridges.
2. To keep my soap rotation & their scent fresh, I don't acquire more Soap than i would typically use within 2 years.
3. I stay mainly with popular Vintage razors so that I know that I can easily sell what doesn't work well for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Yup, I have a couple of simple and self-imposed restraints.
1. I previously spent $100 a year on Cartridges & Goo. My goal has always been to increase the quality and satisfaction of my shaves using DE razors, while staying roughly within the same costs that I incurred with cartridges.
2. To keep my soap rotation & their scent fresh, I don't acquire more Soap than i would typically use within 2 years.
3. I stay mainly with popular Vintage razors so that I know that I can easily sell what doesn't work well for me.
Sensible rules.

Hope many soaps is typically a 2 year supply for you?
 
Well my thought buying process is constrained at the best of times.. as appose to restrained, however I tend to "binge" buy shaving related products..it may be nothing for months then boom a bunch of stuff all at once! As there is now phenomenal choice and quality within the wet shaving world it can be challenging to resist the latest and greatest..hat's off to those that do. Mind you I think there are those among us (I include myself in this) who go a bit crazy with buying in the beginning then it can plateau as it did with me.

That said, this month I haven't been too bad..only purchase has been a new razor and a couple of soaps that I really like. Of course there is bound to be more stuff in the future..
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I went through different phases I found, although subconsciously. I started with blades, bought lots and lots literally around 1000 of them mainly in packs of 100, cheaper end Russians. Great blades everyone. I then bought Feathers but soon stopped using them as 1st use was rough and after 3 uses the same. I'm now settled on Shark and GSB's. Must sell my Ruskies sometime. It was then onto soap, I have like most of us enough for 5 years at least, I then got obsessed with Artisan brushes which cost an arm and a leg for not a lot of value TBH. I'm currently on Maseto's, razors and more recently nice fragrances. I love this shaving lark. It's given me a whole new lease of life and has gotten me taking care of myself more in my 50's than I did in my 20's.
 
D

Deleted member 476

Guest
Sensible rules.
Hope many soaps is typically a 2 year supply for you?
Not many. I typically rotate 4-5 soaps and will have a couple waiting on deck. I do 2-passes and shave 4 times a week. Typically with Haslinger 80 shaves, Cella 100. Arlington DRH 150.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
It's been six years and I-shudder-to-think-about-the-amount of shaving paraphernalia since I opened my account with a 34c, EJ Black Badger and Taylor's Sandalwood.

Six years on...

I avoid making rash decisions about razors. I generally hold back for a few months or even years (I only recently jumped for a Blackbird). Better yet, I put my name down in the Lending Pool (I've tried and discounted many expensive razors this way). I'll very occasionally make an impulsive-yet-considered razor purchase - in this way, 2012 saw me buy my first Gillette Aristocrat (the #22), 2014 saw the Mongoose arrive, 2016 a Blue Tip Rocket, and 2017 the Sabre. I try to avoid falling down rabbit holes but, from-time-to-time, I helplessly launch myself in feet first.

I don't have much desire for brushes. They're a tool that, unlike razors, are meant to last years rather than decades. I now know my preferences (soft synthetics or unscritchy two band badgers with even knots and little-to-no glue bumps) and have little hunger to deviate from there. I keep a scrubby little Semogue to scratch myself with to remind me every so often. I have a couple of brushes - which are in keeping with said preferences - on the radar but I would offload current possessions to make room. Five brushes is fine. Three better. Maybe I'll eventually settle on four.

Soaps have to fit in a 19L Really Useful Box. If it's full, I have to sell to buy. This isn't much of a hardship since it'll accommodate nearly 40 tubs. In truth, I'm suffering from a serious case of SAD which I'm making very little effort to fight off. I'm vaguely justifying it to myself as merely testing out as many different types of soap and cream as possible... as if I were one day to make my own?! But that doesn't explain why I currently have multiple scents from Wickham 1912, Wholly Kaw, Eufros and Barrister & Mann. Bugger it.

I've stopped buying aftershave. The unscented Eufros balm is the best aftershave product I've come across and I'll sell, trade, and run down my remaining splashes (Myrsol and Pitralon) until exhausted, at which point I'd would like to buy one bottle of something alcohol- and fragrance-free at a time. I'd love for someone to come up with a less boring version of Thayers. Preferably in a cool glass bottle.

I have already minimised my perfume collection down to three full bottles. Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT for smart, Kiehl's Musk for casual, and Chanel Cuir de Russie for special. Years ago I was a Basenotes fiend with a burgeoning fragrance collection but, nowadays, I'm happy to play around with the odd sample (or ten) of something niche (or Guerlain) to augment the above. I'd love to be able to wear Habit Rouge but I can't quite get away with it.
 
Last edited:

jar

Rollin Tumblin
Most of my stuff has just accumulated over the last half century or so. But once I discovered shaving forums I found out there were options other than the ones in the accumulation (mostly Gillettes, Rolls, Valet, Damaskene) so I have spent more money than I did on all the accumulation trying new stuff like Merkur and EJ and Feather and Rockwell and Ikon and Colonial and Razorock and even Weishi and Viking only to find that although they are all nice, none of them do a better job than the accumulated stuff.

In Creams and Soaps I pretty much stick to Tabac and TOBS products but have tried some samples from Stirling and still have several Surrey and Old Spice and Colgate and maybe other pucks sitting in mugs waiting to get used.

In aftershaves it is pretty traditional, Tabac, Prorosa, St Johns and Clubman but I have tried some "recommended" brands with mixed results.

Learning is always fun.
 

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
My current thought process:
1. Is it software? Don't buy - I have enough
2. Is the hardware more than £20? Don't buy - I like a bargain
3. Has it been on my wish list for less than half a year? Don't buy. There will be a better bargain.
4. Maybe. I'll sleep on it for a week, by which time the item is gone...
I'm not spending a lot right now... 1 razor so far this year.... (Eversharp Fashion Razor for £15. Brilliant.) :D
 

Lann

Forum GOD!
When I think about this hobby of ours and my spending habits in particular, I have, whatever my justifications to myself has been, spent too much. My problem is rather than make do with just function I want function AND form.

I have found a razor I really like in the Timeless and have through various BST trades and sales been able to acquire three handles, the scalloped and smooth caps and the six base plate options - so while perhaps not as much as buying from new, still a pretty penny. As far as DE razors and me go I have every option I will ever possibly need in terms of shaving my face . Did I stop there? No...A Shavemac Shaving brush I wasn't using helped to part finance the Blackland Sabre - again procured via BST - for whenever I fancy a SE shave, Now I catch myself thinking about the ATT Windsor Copper razor but whereas a year or two ago, I would have given myself the permission to pull the trigger straight away because it is Copper and looks nice, I am now trying to ask myself what will it bring to my particular shaving party. Some of the techniques used by others on this thread will certainly help me to reign things in but then again, it is nice to be able to treat ourselves everynow and again isn't it? Lol
 

RSSO

SOD of the day
Do I like? Yes..
Do I need? Err...possibly.
How much do I like? A lot.
Do I really need? Err...well, it will make my shaving experience better.
Do I purchase? Yes
Do I feel remorse afterwards? Slightly, nah, whom I kidding....No remorse.

:D
Something like this

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
 

Britva

Eats steel for lunch
Do I like the shape? Do I like the size? Color? Any imperfections, inclusions..? No? Could it be a nice quality hone? Yes? Go for it!

Latest impulse purchase:
 

kypros

Forum GOD!
I try to employ logic in matters of purchases and I do manage in most departments.
When it comes to shaving equipment I throw caution to the wind.
In the beginning I was buying run of the mill inexpensive razors, but then discovered stainless steel and liked it.
In matters of soap I'm not really into that and any prorasso fits the bill nicely. My greatest endeavor in buying soaps consists of trying the red prorasso not just the green.
When it comes to razors and brushes, this is a different thing altogether. My thought process. If I like it, I read a few reviews and if I get convinced, I buy it. In matters of brushes, any good looking artisan brush with a nice knot is a canditate when I get wind of it.
My current brush rush. I just cannot hane enough HoneyFarmDesign brushes. I have two and already asked for a custom made one.
New razors? Ihave the SE-G and Sabre in the mail, looking forward to the SS General to add to all the Generals in other metals I already have. The pre-bought Occam's is in the mail, ready to be compared to my other two OneBlade genesis. So you see what meticulous reasoning I employ in not wasting a single penny unnecessarily.
 
Top