When to shave, before or after a shower?

D

Deleted member 30

Guest
I agree with what @Sid James has recommended above. Personally though I prefer to shower after, it's quicker and easier to wash any lather residue off. :)
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I shower and then shave almost 100% of the time. I wash with soap and it is nice and hydrated after a hot shower.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
People’s prep vary but the main elements are water, heat, some sort of cleaning. A shower usually means all three. Picking up on only the latter, however: https://sharpologist.com/2018/08/shave-soap-chemistry-unnecessary-lubricating-razor-head.html is an interesting read. Let’s take the guy at face value and disregard that he has a (in)vested interest in this topic. Allow me to quote:

“And, based on the chemistry above, that layer [ie the lather] operates best under conditions that include water and oil. That means the complete buffered layer would not be wholly efficacious without your pre-shave oil. You’re already activating the soap with water but skipping the oil step may cause you to be missing some of the emulsifying benefits of the soap.”

By the same logic we shouldn’t wash our faces before shaving, should we? A face wash means removing at least some of the natural oil?
 
Last edited:

MPH

Forum GOD!
Well this is interesting.... Where possible I always shave after a shower/bath and I have always felt it makes the shave much better.

I think my hair is quite coarse and the soaking/heat of a shower seems to soften the hairs thus making shaving easier. I really notice the difference when I haven't showered first.

I never fail to be amazed at how different we all are! :)
 

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
Shave IN the shower.

If you haven't tried this, you don't know what a proper shave feels like.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Well this is interesting.... Where possible I always shave after a shower/bath and I have always felt it makes the shave much better.

I think my hair is quite coarse and the soaking/heat of a shower seems to soften the hairs thus making shaving easier. I really notice the difference when I haven't showered first.

I never fail to be amazed at how different we all are! :)
Same here, the stubble's noticeably easier to cut if I shower first.
 

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
When I shower after I shave, I feel my face stinging.
So, I shave after my shower.
During the shower... hmmm... I am still sexually active, so I wouldn't risk a slip of the razor while naked
 

dadant

Forum GOD!
I just couldn't shave comfortably without hot showering first, it gives my brush n bowl a chance to soak and warm up, soap to soften if need be and most important for me it is the most effective way to clean and soften my beard.
 

Sapat

Forum GOD!
I always shave after showering. I have a strong beard, but a gentle skin. Showering proved to be the best shaving preparation for me.

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using Tapatalk
 

Billyhank

Veteran
Never associated showering with shaving. I just face lather with cold water and do 4 passes the last of which is ATG. Nothing like trying it the other way round with the showering to see which works better for you. Same goes for the cold water shaving.

Bob
You mean to say there is a hot water option in Thunder Bay? No way.
 
Top