WhatsApp to WhatsCrap

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
I almost exclusively use SMS because I have been weaned on them all through the years. I don't look for security because I don't work for M15 or like nor my msgs are such nature that I need to hide anything. But when WA threatens to read everything and consider me a product, I have a problem allowing WA to tail me nonstop. Android Google is already persistent to a point of annoyance.
I am not anal about privacy but the free stuff is just going bonkers with intrusion and it the very people, we the users. who have allowed it to happen.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
I need to find a decent alternative to Gmail next.
Just to put a dog muzzle on frackbook suggestions I made a dummy gmail and turned off EVERY POSSIBLE setting that may result in spam. Still within 2 months it was saturated with spam beyond limits of human counting.

I use https://protonmail.com/ sine its launch and it has only improved over time. Give it a thought.

Steve

Boomer Member
I've deleted WA from my phone. My wife won't switch to Signal/Telegram, so I'm using my phone as a phone to keep in touch. Quaint, ain't it? I think it's only a matter of time before all of the tech monsters keep track of phone calls, too. This is turning into a post apocalyptic movie - without the apocalypse.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
If you have a credit card, a couple of online accounts including PayPal plus a Tesco account and you shop online, that's your profile done and dusted I really wouldn't worry too much about what's App they already know everything about you, the most you can do is get a good adblocker a VPN and some decent spyware not much else you can do.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
If you have a credit card, a couple of online accounts including PayPal plus a Tesco account and you shop online, that's your profile done and dusted I really wouldn't worry too much about what's App they already know everything about you, the most you can do is get a good adblocker a VPN and some decent spyware not much else you can do.
I agree, however, I don't appreciate them snooping around my messages. Furthermore, Whatsapp is bringing ads like they do on Instagram, it's just a question of time when they bring them in.

Steve

Boomer Member
Did anyone really think the Tech Barons were producing these things out of altruism? Not only will they make money selling your data, they'll make money the old fashioned way: making you see other people's advertising. Brave New World.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
WhatsApp, Instagram, Fitbit, etc. weren't created by big data gathering tech companies, they were acquired by them. I don't know the history of every acquired company, but the creators of WhatsApp were pretty "good" people as far as what they created (they may be horrible human beings for all I know)

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I almost exclusively use SMS because I have been weaned on them all through the years. I don't look for security because I don't work for M15 or like nor my msgs are such nature that I need to hide anything. But when WA threatens to read everything and consider me a product, I have a problem allowing WA to tail me nonstop. Android Google is already persistent to a point of annoyance.
I am not anal about privacy but the free stuff is just going bonkers with intrusion and it the very people, we the users. who have allowed it to happen.
I'm very similar to yourself. I dont think there is anything wrong in trying to reduce the amount of Google or Facebook in ourlives. Maybe little steps like using Duck Duck Go or Signal might allow us to regain a small amount of control in our lives. I'm currently trialing a couple of Private email services to see which one I prefer. That will then be Gmail ticked off the list!

The Social Dilemma on Netflix is a scary watch. Listen to what the ex-employees of Facebook have to say about the business model:eek: In essence the fact such services are free - our data is the price. Looking up Surveillance Capitalism is always a hoot.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I'm very similar to yourself. I dont think there is anything wrong in trying to reduce the amount of Google or Facebook in ourlives. Maybe little steps like using Duck Duck Go or Signal might allow us to regain a small amount of control in our lives. I'm currently trialing a couple of Private email services to see which one I prefer. That will then be Gmail ticked off the list!

The Social Dilemma on Netflix is a scary watch. Listen to what the ex-employees of Facebook have to say about the business model:eek: In essence the fact such services are free - our data is the price. Looking up Surveillance Capitalism is always a hoot.
I had to quit FB as the constant barrage of adverts gets to me, sponsored posts from The Sun about Katie Price was odious beyond words.