whats the most you've paid for a razor? (all types included se/de/straight etc)

  • Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I don't think I've spent more than the £70 I paid for a used Merkur Digress.
Although it's one of the few DE razors I still occasionally use, I should have saved some money and gotten a normal Progress.
 

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I understand it’s not a direct answer but I will say I don’t keep track and I’m one to buy a handle from here and the head from someone else.
So less than $100.00 usd.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
I don't think I've spent more than the £70 I paid for a used Merkur Digress.
Although it's one of the few DE razors I still occasionally use, I should have saved some money and gotten a normal Progress.
If you ever wanted to sell the digress I'd be interested 👍
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
so was watching the youtubers iamcdb review of the rex konsul slant adjustable razor and saw the high price tag and remembered this thread

most i've probably spent was on my rockwell 6s and even that was a good price,
which is probably peanus compared to the amounts you lot have spent lool
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
£595 for my first Wolfman :facepalm:a little less for the other 3
Is it worth it would you say?

Which wolfman razor you on about?

Don't really know anything about wolfman razors apart from the high price tags
 

Railwaychief

Forum GOD!
Is it worth it would you say?

Which wolfman razor you on about?

Don't really know anything about wolfman razors apart from the high price tags
Have 4 altogether - 0.75/0.95/1.15/1.25 first 3 are WR1's the last is a WR2. They are superb razors, Are they worth the money, yes in the fact the workman ship is first class. These are collectors pieces in some respect and retain the value pretty much. Would I buy any more, probably not. Goggle them and you will see what I mean .. worth having a read to get a better understanding.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I've paid market at the time for a Gillette 162 Goodwill, English Raised Flat Bottom Gillette, and a #49 Herder straight. Thing is, I paid $50, $75, and $100 respectively, but you rarely see them for sale anymore.
 

Moriarty

Forum GOD!
It was either my Wolfman WR2 1.35 high polish (was CAD 780, before the latest price rises), or my Rocnel Sailor 2021 Master Collection (USD 690). Depends on the exchange rates, and the Rocnel included a heavy stand. Probably the prices are really about the same.

Of the two my Sailor is the more impressive razor and it really does feel special and worth the money. With the Wolfman a lot of this price is due to the extreme polishing, which is genuinely expensive and labour intensive to do to that level - and you only pay for it if you choose to.

I think the standard Rocnel Sailor is USD 450 and the standard Wolfman WR2, matte finish with handle is CAD 450 right now. So purely for the razors the Sailor is a bit higher priced, but probably the better value. You get a lot when you buy a Sailor - exceptional performance, engineering, and build quality, and to me it doesn’t really feel like you are paying a premium for any sense of prestige or exclusivity. A razor like that is always going to be expensive.

If I had all my razor purchasing choices over again, I would just buy the Sailor and maybe two or three others for variety (probably Tradere, Vector and H&S P076). I have spent far more buying multiple other razors that I don’t really need than if I had just got the Sailor in the first place. It’s perhaps my most expensive razor but there are reasons to think it could also be my best value razor purchase.
 
Top