What made your day a crap one?

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I'm losing the will to live.

I came back from Germany a week ago (Friday).
That means I had to:
- Have a negative Covid test in Germany (75 Euros)
- self isolate for 10 days after my arrival back in the UK
- Buy two Covid tests in advance to have on day 2 and day 8 of my self-isolation (£200)
Expensive, but I needed to come back to start a new job.

The German test went without a glitch and I was emailed the negative result after 16 hours (2:30 am) - impressed.

=== HELL AND RANT STARTS HERE ===

I bought the two UK Covid tests well in advance. But the test I was supposed to take on Sunday, didn't arrive until Monday.
I took the test and posted it back as instructed. I took a note of the tracking number.
Royal Mail confirms the test kit was delivered the next morning before 8 am.
So far so good (minus the delay)

After that... silence...
When no result had arrived after two days, I tried to call the company supplying the test.
I tried to call them 20 times. Most of the times the line is busy, if not they put you on hold for an hour and hang up.
I managed to talk to them at 10 pm and they informed me that postal delays are not their problem.
They blamed Royal Mail, although their tracking indicates they posted it too late.
Late test results are not their problem either. The lab is overwhelmed and it can take up to four days.
If I have any concerns I should not call them but the 119 NHS Covid testing number. Go away.
(Best line the guy said: "I am not a professional" - no kidding)
I have sent four emails to them as well. Silence.

Four days later...
No test result.
I was emailed a tracking number for the day 8 test and it will arrive after Easter on day 11.
I'm getting concerned.
"The government" calls me every day to check that I'm self-isolating. I am.

So I decided to call NHS 119.
They have nothing to do with this, but there's an email that might help me or not. I should get a reply after Easter.
Would I consider ordering another set of test kits for an additional £200 instead of using the government-approved company I have used so far?
No, I wouldn't. FFS! I can see an NHS test centre 100m away from my window. why should I pay a total of almost £500 for tests?

I'm calling the test provider again.
I'm panicking by now. How long will I have to stay at home?
Another two hours of torture-music later I get through to them.
It's only been four days since they received the test? Nothing to worry about - it can now take up to eight days to get the results.
So, with the second test being three days late I should expect to have to self-isolate for 20 days.

I did ask if they could supply me with a postal address my lawyer could deliver legal documents to.
They refused to supply this information. I should use the email address that has been completely unresponsive before.

So here I am. Locked up at home.
I can't leave until I have two negative test results. No matter how long that takes. 10 days. 20? 30?
I'm supposed to start a new job in two weeks time. Is that going to happen?
Covid has a maximum incubation period of 14 days.
Should I just refuse to self-isolate after that period?
I have done everything the incompetents asked me to do.

=== END OF RANT, HELL CONTINUES ===

P.S.: It was a lovely day today. I was not allowed to go out and enjoy it.

P.P.S.: I wish the European Court of Human Rights was still in charge. Come Monday I'll be unlawfully imprisoned. In the UK.

Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I'm losing the will to live.

I came back from Germany a week ago (Friday).
That means I had to:
- Have a negative Covid test in Germany (75 Euros)
- self isolate for 10 days after my arrival back in the UK
- Buy two Covid tests in advance to have on day 2 and day 8 of my self-isolation (£200)
Expensive, but I needed to come back to start a new job.

The German test went without a glitch and I was emailed the negative result after 16 hours (2:30 am) - impressed.

=== HELL AND RANT STARTS HERE ===

I bought the two UK Covid tests well in advance. But the test I was supposed to take on Sunday, didn't arrive until Monday.
I took the test and posted it back as instructed. I took a note of the tracking number.
Royal Mail confirms the test kit was delivered the next morning before 8 am.
So far so good (minus the delay)

After that... silence...
When no result had arrived after two days, I tried to call the company supplying the test.
I tried to call them 20 times. Most of the times the line is busy, if not they put you on hold for an hour and hang up.
I managed to talk to them at 10 pm and they informed me that postal delays are not their problem.
They blamed Royal Mail, although their tracking indicates they posted it too late.
Late test results are not their problem either. The lab is overwhelmed and it can take up to four days.
If I have any concerns I should not call them but the 119 NHS Covid testing number. Go away.
(Best line the guy said: "I am not a professional" - no kidding)
I have sent four emails to them as well. Silence.

Four days later...
No test result.
I was emailed a tracking number for the day 8 test and it will arrive after Easter on day 11.
I'm getting concerned.
"The government" calls me every day to check that I'm self-isolating. I am.

So I decided to call NHS 119.
They have nothing to do with this, but there's an email that might help me or not. I should get a reply after Easter.
Would I consider ordering another set of test kits for an additional £200 instead of using the government-approved company I have used so far?
No, I wouldn't. FFS! I can see an NHS test centre 100m away from my window. why should I pay a total of almost £500 for tests?

I'm calling the test provider again.
I'm panicking by now. How long will I have to stay at home?
Another two hours of torture-music later I get through to them.
It's only been four days since they received the test? Nothing to worry about - it can now take up to eight days to get the results.
So, with the second test being three days late I should expect to have to self-isolate for 20 days.

I did ask if they could supply me with a postal address my lawyer could deliver legal documents to.
They refused to supply this information. I should use the email address that has been completely unresponsive before.

So here I am. Locked up at home.
I can't leave until I have two negative test results. No matter how long that takes. 10 days. 20? 30?
I'm supposed to start a new job in two weeks time. Is that going to happen?
Covid has a maximum incubation period of 14 days.
Should I just refuse to self-isolate after that period?
I have done everything the incompetents asked me to do.

=== END OF RANT ===

P.S.: It was a lovely day today. I was not allowed to go out and enjoy it.

P.P.S.: I wish the European Court of Human Rights was still in charge. Come Monday I'll be unlawfully imprisoned. In the UK.
Interesting to hear this, as Boris et al would have you believe everything is working perfectly. Clearly not.

Edit: for balance a decent opposing party might help things...

pjgh

Forum GOD!
You're getting the message ...

Don't travel. Don't go outside of these borders. Don't play with the other children. Slipping back under the net is a Herculean task for a reason.

In seriousness, good luck! It does sound like you're nearing the end of this flawed process. Logic (alas, not a great British trait) would dictate that symptom-free after 14 days (or found not to be dead in your home), you should re-enter society as a free man. As you said, you have done everything asked - it's the process that has let you down.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Would you be though?
Government advice has never been longer than 14 days if showing no symptoms
The information I just received:

NHS said:
Thank you for your enquiry.
You will need to remain in isolation as per the Government guidance until you have received the test result from the second test regardless of the fact that the test being delayed was no fault of your own.
Indefinite imprisonment or else.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I was given an email address for complaints about the Covid testing scheme.

The automated reply:

The government said:
Thank you for your email to the Public Health England (PHE) Complaints Team. If your complaint falls within PHE's remit, we will endeavour to respond to you as soon as possible and certainly within 20 working days.
Tomorrow is day 1 of my false imprisonment. Still no sign of my second Covid test.
Any human rights lawyers here?

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Day 15 of my quarantine.
Day 5 of being falsely imprisoned by the UK government.
Still no indication when I will receive my Day 8 test results.
Could be another week, could be never.
On Monday I will have to miss my Covid vaccination. Thank you, Boris, for putting my life at risk.
On a positive note: the government have lost interest in me. They used to call me at least once a day to threaten me, but I haven't heard from them for a few days. First, they made sure to tell me I face heavy fines if I leave home before I have all the test results, no matter how long that takes.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Day 15 of my quarantine.
Day 5 of being falsely imprisoned by the UK government.
Still no indication when I will receive my Day 8 test results.
Could be another week, could be never.
On Monday I will have to miss my Covid vaccination. Thank you, Boris, for putting my life at risk.
On a positive note: the government have lost interest in me. They used to call me at least once a day to threaten me, but I haven't heard from them for a few days. First, they made sure to tell me I face heavy fines if I leave home before I have all the test results, no matter how long that takes.
Have you considered complaining to your local MP? Seriously, your situation is unbelievable but I hope an exception.