What do you consider is too much for a brush

bandito

Ex-Addict
I spent approximately £180 on my SV brush. On one hand, it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a shaving brush (in my opinion and with regard to my purchase of said brush). On the other hand, it's a marvellous brush which I enjoy using...in a small way it adds to my daily experience, and I don't regret spending that amount of money. I could even see me buying another one day if I was particularly flush, but I don't think I'd spend more...
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
£150 = WOW factor is off the charts and always wanted one. Contain myself to one WOW per year (hopefully)
£100 = Really like the brush, Group Buy, Limited edition. favorite artisan
£ 75 = Nice brush, handle looks ergonomic, special material, good value

For me. avoiding impulse buying is more important (and cheaper) than the price of a brush I really want and would use.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I can't put a number on it, it depends on how much I want the brush and whether I think it's worth it. At one time there's no way I would have spent north of a ton on one but I've done that more than once.
 

bandito

Ex-Addict
Whatever Mervyn Cadman charges for the brush I want.
My custom-made Manchurian is as good as my SV, and cost less, can't see me using anyone else at the moment.
I had a Cadman silvertip - very nice brush, and a step up from what I'd used previously, but didn't compare with my SV. Haven't tried one of his Manchurian knots though - sounds good :)
 

Dr Watson

James
As above, its decreased over time. Having now tried some of the dearer offerings (both brushes and razors) I've come to the rather pleasing conclusion its a bit of a mugs game... If you can afford and enjoy it then then buy whatever pleases you but for me, diminishing returns kick in rapidly on anything over £50.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
As above, its decreased over time. Having now tried some of the dearer offerings (both brushes and razors) I've come to the rather pleasing conclusion its a bit of a mugs game... If you can afford and enjoy it then then buy whatever pleases you but for me, diminishing returns kick in rapidly on anything over £50.
Yes, I'd agree it is the same for me. I do really enjoy some of my more expensive badger brushes but I also enjoy my $10.00 well broken in Omega boar brush. Actually I now have a greater appreciation of the inexpensive Omega boar brush as it does a superb job for peanuts.

Bob
 

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
From a certain price point upwards, there's no real justification on further quality merits.

I also agree with Dipesh. Following seven intense years of acquisitions, three brands stand out for me: H.L. Thater, Shavemac, Simpsons.

Out of these three, I guess at the moment Shavemac appears to have an edge on quality & performance vs. price.

A Simpsons brush may have an initial high acquisition cost, however once you get to use it and as soon as it reaches the break-in point, you shave and thank yourself for having made sacrifices to acquire it.

The role and contribution of a genuinely good shaving brush can never be underestimated in wet shaving.
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
Not too long ago I bulked at spending £150+ on a brush. It was pure crazy. I was particularly offended by Simpsons ridiculous pricing.

A year or so later and I own 2 Simpsons Manchurian and 2 Simpsons Silvertip. All were very expensive. I got one for my 40th birthday as I was just intrigued to try them. It turns out they are quite nice....! I then sold a lot of more mediocre brushes to buy a couple of very expensive simpsons brushes, and they are definately my favourites?

I suppose when talking about the price of brushes, I'd rather have one expensive brush that I love than 10 cheaper brushes that collectively cost more, but none are as nice. So.... It might be that buying one expensive brush could actually work out cheaper if it kills your BAD.

So.... In conclusion.....Balls to it, I'd still buy an expensive brush £200+ but it had better be bloody good, and I wouldn't buy too many of them!
 
Last edited:
Top