Grumpy Glasgow Git
Member
Due to the extortionate cost of system razor cartridges I decided to try a double edge safety razor. I got an Edwin Jagger DE89 and today was my first shave with the thing. I used one of the supplied Derby extra blades and lathered up in the shower.
I started very gingerly but it wasn't clearing my face, so eventually I realised I could be more aggressive, by the end I was shaving the same as I would with a system razor. I could press, go fast, make several passes, go against the grain, not bother looking in the mirror. The end result is a shave no closer than with the system razors and it took a faff, lathering up my face and loading up the blade.
What am I doing wrong? I was under the distinct impression that safety razors will cut skin if you're not careful, that didn't happen. I also thought you could get razor burn and irritation from multiple passes, while that might appear tomorrow, I'm really not expecting it. But mainly, I thought these provided a closer shave and I simply haven't got one so I'm thinking as a newbie to the art, I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.
Absolutely any help or tips would be greatly appreciated as I really wanted to enjoy this experience but so far I've spent £50 to make shaving more of a hassle with no improvement in the end result. Incidentally, I did consider a straight razor too, but the honing and stropping and other care involved in maintaining the blade and edge deterred me greatly.
I, as probably most men in all of male grooming existence, just want as quick and easy way to remove the hair from my face that doesn't cost a shedload and actually looks like I have shaved.
Please help me
I started very gingerly but it wasn't clearing my face, so eventually I realised I could be more aggressive, by the end I was shaving the same as I would with a system razor. I could press, go fast, make several passes, go against the grain, not bother looking in the mirror. The end result is a shave no closer than with the system razors and it took a faff, lathering up my face and loading up the blade.
What am I doing wrong? I was under the distinct impression that safety razors will cut skin if you're not careful, that didn't happen. I also thought you could get razor burn and irritation from multiple passes, while that might appear tomorrow, I'm really not expecting it. But mainly, I thought these provided a closer shave and I simply haven't got one so I'm thinking as a newbie to the art, I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.
Absolutely any help or tips would be greatly appreciated as I really wanted to enjoy this experience but so far I've spent £50 to make shaving more of a hassle with no improvement in the end result. Incidentally, I did consider a straight razor too, but the honing and stropping and other care involved in maintaining the blade and edge deterred me greatly.
I, as probably most men in all of male grooming existence, just want as quick and easy way to remove the hair from my face that doesn't cost a shedload and actually looks like I have shaved.
Please help me
