Waterproofing my D.R. Harris/GFT/T&H wooden bowls

Pedigree

Forum GOD!
Wanting to waterproof both the wood and the stickers and paper ribbons (DR Harris bowls) using an oil-based clear gloss polyurethane spray. Would one coat be enough or would two coats be better?

Pedigree

Forum GOD!
I applied 2-3 coats (3 coats on my DR Harris bowls). Really glad I did as the 3 coats really brought out the color and grain of the wood of the D.R. Harris bowls and sealed in the stickers and paper ribbons. I'm happy with the result. Now I need to figure out if I need to sand the inside of the bowls before applying the tung oil?

Pedigree

Forum GOD!
Sorry for the confusion. I applied the polyurethane to the outside of the bowl and the top of the lid where the stickers are. I would be applying the tung oil to the inside of the bowl and the underside of the lid.

Vacumatic

Testy
I have the Harris bowls in beech and mahogany, both just as they left the company some years and untreated without any problems.

Am I missing something? Should I be waterproofing a hardwood bowl?

Pedigree

Forum GOD!
I have the Harris bowls in beech and mahogany, both just as they left the company some years and untreated without any problems.

Am I missing something? Should I be waterproofing a hardwood bowl?
I'm just hoping to preserve them and keep them looking like new (even improve the look a little?).

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
I would prefer to let the natural fats and oils in the soap penetrate the hard wood.

I have a Victorian mahogany bench, unvarnished, stays outside in all weathers including snow and freezing conditions, looks perfect. I would be more concerned about water finding its way under the varnish and becoming trapped between a hard wood and varnish.

My wooden shaving bowl is from the 1960s, twenty years ago I used a light stain and varnish, it didn't last, I used steel wool to remove what was left and it is still perfect today.

I will call in at DR Harris later today and ask for their experience and advice.