Traditional shaving and sink becoming blocked?

jeepie

Forum GOD!
Hi team,

Happy Sunday.

My wife is interested to learn if other wet shaving households suffer from their shaving sink becoming blocked often? I have noticed that our en-suite sink needs much more regular plunging to clear a backlog. Is this your experience or just down to modern plumbing? Thoughts?

Cheers

Greg
 

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Yes - seems to be more prominent in the winter for me. Letting fresh water rinse through after the shave helps but I don't always remember to do this. I use this a couple of times a year to great effect:

download (1).jpeg
 

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
It's a problem that crops up every 18 months or so. The washbasin is one of those which has a pop-up plug, actuated by a rod running through the side of the mixer tap. This particular version is a PITA, as the plug is captive to the lower rod, which means it has to be dismantled to use a plunger effectively. I do have a more recent waste fitting with a pop-up plug that sits on top of the actuator rod, and which should just be lifted clear out to plunge it (provided it works, and doesn't fall off the rod or disappear down into the trap). I've just received a couple of plastic suction pads, of the sort used to change recessed light bulbs, so I can keep a grip on the plug(s) easily.

I've used a chemical drain unblocker, which improves things, but doesn't entirely clear it.

These captive plugs pop up to leave a gap about 1/8" between the plug and the waste fitting, through which the water escapes. This isn't really enough gap to allow the water out with any velocity. The newer pop-up may be better, as it should be possible to just lift it out if needed. However, the long-term plan is to go back to tried and tested means, which is to replace the whole waste with one which has an old-fashioned rubber plug on a chain. This will let the water out quicker and faster, and make plunging easy. Like a lot of modern things, the new plugs etc. are great when they work, but a nightmare if anything goes wrong.
 

Vacumatic

Testy
Interesting question. I have used cartridge razors and DE razors for all my life and haven't noticed much in the way of blockages. My current sink has a clicker waste and I unscrew the top if the flow becomes slow and give it a blast with cold water. There have been a couple of times when I took a vacuum cleaner hose to the sink hole, the sink was taking about 30 seconds to empty, I don't don't what was causing the blockage but the vacuum cleaner fixed it.

The current Mrs Vac uses cotton pads to remove Blue Cicle foundation and make up, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the odd stray pad didn't find its way past the clicker and cause a blockage.
 

Fozzie Bear

Forum Clod!
Yes defo, shaving with a soap rather than canned seems to block sinks!. Every few months a sludge like substance comes out off our external down pipe, never happened with canned goo. I can only surmise this is due to the tallow and super fats contained in the soaps I now use Which do not appear to be friendly to modern plumbing!.

So I would recommend frequent use of a drain cleaner.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Interesting question. I have used cartridge razors and DE razors for all my life and haven't noticed much in the way of blockages. My current sink has a clicker waste and I unscrew the top if the flow becomes slow and give it a blast with cold water. There have been a couple of times when I took a vacuum cleaner hose to the sink hole, the sink was taking about 30 seconds to empty, I don't don't what was causing the blockage but the vacuum cleaner fixed it.

The current Mrs Vac uses cotton pads to remove Blue Cicle foundation and make up, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the odd stray pad didn't find its way past the clicker and cause a blockage.
LOL “Blue Circle”. Worthy of a belt around the ear if she read that one !
 

Vacumatic

Testy
It might be an interesting question to ask, if you have a blocked sink do you use a fatty shaving soap? Must admit that I don't.


I suspect that we all 'flush' the soap scum off the bowl after shaving which should help to clear any potential blockage before it has had time to set in the waste pipe.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Use running water rather than filling the sink to rinse the razor between passes. Perhaps mix up a solution of Dawn and water which would dissolve any fats, if fat is the problem.

Kitchen clog snakes can take care of small jobs with bathroom sinks. And pour in solutions but be careful and wear gloves and ear protection.
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Every 2 years or so, I unscrew and clean out the siphon (not sure if that is the right english word for it) below my sink. A very "pleasant" experience, but things run smoothly after that for a long time.
 

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Never had a problem of this nature. After every daily shave, I do clean the sink out using bubble bath and as hot a water as my hands can tolerate.
 
Top