S

Steve Bowles

Muhle R89 Twist
Merkur 39c
Merkur Progress
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(Everyman's razors)
One Blade Genesis

I like having one example of each of the razor genres: Conventional, Slant, Adjustable, Single Edge. Unless a new variation raises its head, I'll stick with these.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Top 5 DE’s.

1. Merkur Vision 2000: This razor shaves amazingly close and is absolutely unequivocally my favorite Adjustable TTO razor. It’s heavy and looks like a brute but, feels balanced and great in the hands. There is nothing on this planet that comes close to how this thing looks. Yes, high maintenance but, it’s worth it.

2. Gillette Single Ring/Old Type: It’s the King. Need I say more? I don’t think so.....

3. Karve CD: Canada’s best modern safety razor. Precisely made, smooth and efficient performance with plates that will accommodate virtually any beard on the planet. Unless you’re Jeremiah Johnson, this one will do for most of us. Bonus, very affordable for what your getting.

4. Otto Kampfe Modern Safety Razor: Yup, you heard right. The razor that for those who read this will say “WTF?” This is an amazingly efficient and relatively smooth razor that practically no one knows about. Great razor that is 95% Brass for under $25. This razor takes on the Big Boys of Uber efficiency and smokes’em like a pack of Menthol Kool’s. That’s no BS neither.....

5. A 3 way tie. PAA DOC SS EVO/Rex Ambassador/Blackland Dart: 1 Adjustable and 2 fixed 3 pieces. If you happen to be Jeremiah Johnson supreme mountain man and can’t use a straight because your hand shakes more than a leaf in 50mph winds, then the PAA DOC is for you. This thing takes down weeks of growth like it’s a walk in the park. Don’t believe me, look it up on YouTube. The DOC vs R41. The Muhle should have stayed home.

The Dart is an excellent razor than can go from daily for some to every other day or two for others. Efficient but, still relatively smooth and made of SS. A great razor for the $$$.

The Rex is just a great all around performer. Adjust from mild to nicely efficient with very good tolerance and build. All SS construction that will outlast a few lifetimes over. Only issue is price, it’s not cheap. But, if you want heirloom quality and build, this one might be the one.

I know I can only list 5 but, I have some honorable mentions:

The Gibbs Adjustable 15/17: This razor shaves arguably better than all the Razors I have above. Why is it not in the top 5? For one, the handle is made of plastic and can break from a decen drop and you have to customize the blade to make it fit. I know, they’re both petty excuses but everyone wants solid metals and just drop in a blade without needing an engineering degree to customize the blade.

Blackland Blackbird: This one is easy. Half love it, half hate it. No middle ground on this one. I love it and it’s a superb razor. OC/SB, take your pic.

Gillette FB/Slim/BB adjustable: Perhaps the most used and beloved razor in today’s wet shaving community. Practically everyone has one of the 3 variants or have at least tried them at one time or another. Almost 60 years with these razors and still going strong. I own a ‘61 Slim & a ‘69 Limited Edition Gold one. Sweet razors....

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
This thread has been my inspiration to assuredly settle on my top 5. Here they are:
IMG_20180921_191106.jpg

Left to Right (not in preference)
Timeless titanium 0.95 OC/SB
Blackland Sabre V.2
Wolfman OC 0.74mm
PILS
BBS-1

It is of course rude to not shout out:
Karve
Cobra
King Pelican straight
Ator straight
Blackbird SB
Fatboy
Rex

etc
As you can see the problem is having too many 'right tools for the right job' ... Good problem to have :)

p.b

Forum GOD!
This thread has been my inspiration to assuredly settle on my top 5. Here they are:
View attachment 36217
Blackland Sabre V.2
Wolfman OC 0.74mm
PILS
BBS-1

Karve
Cobra
King Pelican straight
Ator straight
Blackbird SB
Fatboy
Rex

etc
As you can see the problem is having too many 'right tools for the right job' ... Good problem to have :)
I must have been using the pass around PILS completely wrong as I would never have put it in the same league as the Wolfman or Sabre!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I must have been using the pass around PILS completely wrong as I would never have put it in the same league as the Wolfman or Sabre!
Paul in all honesty it's equally efficient as both and is actually smoother than the Wolfman whilst having that assured 'thick blade' feel of the Sabre. The blade does not flinch so the cutting feel is like silk. The weight of the razor also does all the work. Oh yeah the head is not bulky on the face either, but it's likely you've heard this all before :)

Reactions: p.b

Boru62

Shaving Boar
View attachment 36217
Blackland Sabre V.2
Wolfman OC 0.74mm
PILS
BBS-1

Karve
Cobra
King Pelican straight
Ator straight
Blackbird SB
Fatboy
Rex

etc
I'm surprised the Sabre has kept the Cobra out.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I'm surprised the Sabre has kept the Cobra out.
It's acute. Narrower head with the Sabre and a preference of GEM over AC blades. Whilst the Cobra mows down stubble, the Sabre is more direct, again a very personal preference.

morr

Forum GOD!
View attachment 36217
Blackland Sabre V.2
Wolfman OC 0.74mm
PILS
BBS-1

Karve
Cobra
King Pelican straight
Ator straight
Blackbird SB
Fatboy
Rex

etc
I'm terribly disappointed that the ugly razor which starts with a B and ends in 1 remains in your den and is not offered for sale. /s :D
It's really the only razor I'm still interested in, the one that got away.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Paul in all honesty it's equally efficient as both and is actually smoother than the Wolfman whilst having that assured 'thick blade' feel of the Sabre. The blade does not flinch so the cutting feel is like silk. The weight of the razor also does all the work. Oh yeah the head is not bulky on the face either, but it's likely you've heard this all before :)
Yes. I guess I didn’t focus enough when we had the pass around. Oh well :)

Boru62

Shaving Boar
It's acute. Narrower head with the Sabre and a preference of GEM over AC blades. Whilst the Cobra mows down stubble, the Sabre is more direct, again a very personal preference.
Personal preference is the name of the game.
For me the Cobra delivers on all fronts; efficiency, accessibility and smoothness.
The Sabre L2 is a cracker though.

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
View attachment 36217
Blackland Sabre V.2
Wolfman OC 0.74mm
PILS
BBS-1

Karve
Cobra
King Pelican straight
Ator straight
Blackbird SB
Fatboy
Rex

etc
Love this pic!

My top 5 at least for the next week are:

Tradere SB
BBS-1
Mongoose with Feather AC professional
PILS
Feather AS-D2

This may all change, I have the Blackbird Jet SB and Rex Ambassador en-route :woot:

Edit: ok I now have the Timeless SS OC 0.68mm and SB 0.95 incoming.

Last edited: