Thoughts on getting rid / reducing / minimalism

Tomhstorey

Forum GOD!
I'm a shaving hobbyist. And I have an addictive personality. Left unchecked I'm sure I would have the most ridiculous amount of shaving gear.

The problem I have is that I will collect and collect and collect and then not use everything and feel very glutinous and move things out.

I picked a reasonable (to me) limit. 10 brushes 10 razors... if something else wants to come in, something must leave... And much deliberation on what should be replaced can occur. This way the den actually only becomes the best of the best products, again, for me :)
 

vtmax

Forum GOD!
Variety resulted in good shaves. Fidelity produce great shaves. I had 100 soaps at one point which was clearly hoarding and ridiculous when an average soap lasts 3 months.

After many years of trying much I now have a 5 soap limit, 2 top quality razors, and many brushes. Brushes are my weakness.

I find the 'fidelity' of sticking to one soap and razor for each week really helps the shave. Switching razors and soaps everyday didn't help my shaves at all.
 

efsk

Forum GOD!
I'm a collector, which makes minimalism in my particular niche impossible. I am downsizing on SE's however, and should have less soaps.
eight brushes seems to be the sweet spot though.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
Another thought:
I have quite a few razors (which I do plan on reducing as I reckon I can find ones that suit me better) and have enjoyed trying out.
However, I will keep the ones I like/enjoy/want to keep.
For example, (whatever I end up using as a daily) I will definitely keep a de or two as I love the cheapness of DE blades. So I will probably keep a slant, a mild and an aggressive one to play with on occasion. Also, I will keep at least one of the GEM SE razors. (Again to play with) Then I will also keep an injector, but will have to also keep an injector that you can fit the twin blades in.
etc etc

I also see no rush in getting rid of them as, like soaps and brushes, they have a residual value that is not reducing.
I picked most of them up at a reasonable price.
I am glad that I have them, as now that I am a couple of years in, I can revisit them and see what I think with a bit more experience.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I find the 'fidelity' of sticking to one soap and razor for each week really helps the shave. Switching razors and soaps everyday didn't help my shaves at all.
That is so true. It is also an important thing for tyros to understand. Stick to 1 brush, 1 razor and 1 soap/cream and learn how to make them work before adding more variables to your shave by continually changing the gear you use. I now use 1 soap/cream and 1 brush for a week before changing them. Still use a different straight razor daily though for a little variety.

Bob
 

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I tend to stick to the same set up for a whole well at a time too. I've also done the "one soap one month" thing on a different thread. Having a relatively small collection certainly let's you know what works better.
 

Gordy

Legendary Member
Have I entered another forum or dimension or what? Four brushes......six soaps? I may come back next year, you'll probably all be back on canned goop! Convinced me I "needed" all this stuff and then try to get me to red......redu....red....duc...nah, can't even say it! :p:
 

Conservator

Forum GOD!
The Internet ruined me. For more than 35 years I was happy with two razors, one brush, and one soap and cream. And then I could no longer get a soap and cream I was using at local stores. I did an internet search and found products I had never tried. I branched out to single edge and injectors and tried some new razors. Plus, I never realized there were so many soaps and creams available. The result: I now have more than 40 razors, 40 brushes, I don't know how many soaps and creams.

The problem I now have is that too many products are not used very much. You begin to forget how a razor, for example, performs. My objective is to go down to ten razors. However, the chore is to decide which ten!
 

Gordy

Legendary Member
The Internet ruined me. ............
The problem I now have is that too many products are not used very much. You begin to forget how a razor, for example, performs. My objective is to go down to ten razors. However, the chore is to decide which ten!
I may not have used much of my gear in the last few months and I have a big rotation but I don't have anything I don't use. I certainly wasn't planning on reducing anything, unless it's a soap I might not replace, in which case there's always something else to fill that gap. I get way too much enjoyment out of what has become a hobby with soap and aftershave properties having a massive part to play in that. Even my wife has been buying soaps and has no issue with having something as long as it serves a purpose. I also feel that I want to give back to this hobby so I'll support vendors wherever I can. Same thing can be said for any of my other hobbies, I have loyality to those that support it.
 
Top